Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Backing Up the Ladies

Default Glenn Backing Up the Ladies

This was brought up by DonFan in another thread... why hasn't Glenn ever done a duet with a lady? We have evidence that his voice sounds great with a woman's!

These are the songs he's sung backup on with women:

Linda Ronstadt - Rescue Me (Live 1971) - he goes back and forth with her at the end

Linda Ronstadt - I Ain't Always Been Faithful (1971)

Joni Mitchell - Off Night Backstreet (1977) - pretty much just on the word "backstreet" lol - not worth checking out if you don't like Joni

Karla Bonoff - If He's Ever Near (1982) - especially about 2:00 min and onwards - PS, I LOVE this song!

Laura Creamer - Love Letter (2002) - probably the closest we'll get to a Glenn duet, on the choruses at least (The song is on her MySpace Player)

On this one, he's lead and Linda backs him:

"Get Up Kate" (Troubadour 1971)

These sound good to me - wish he would do a duet or two for real!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Sounds amazing! Yes me too! The next time (if one of us wants to do it) we're giving Glenn a note with the question if he wants to make a duet with a woman! Haha!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border

I LOVE Get Up Kate. He sounds totally charismatic on it.

But he is not a duet person. Even the BB King song was not a duet. He sang his verse and then he played guitar. He doesn't seem to like interacting vocally with anybody except Don. And if he were to do a duet with a woman, and it was performed, can you envisage him putting down his crutch - er - guitar?

Stuck on the Border

Oh, well, I have a couple more thoughts on this.

Don was quoted recently as saying he thinks of himself primarily as a singer and a lyricist. As such it seems to me he is more the type of person to do duets. Glenn seems to me to think of himself as a musician first. So he wouldn't. If it is about being a singer first, that is not Glenn. Unfortunately.

The fact that he has decided not to play WDIDWMH suggests that he isn't comfortable with the duets thing. I have my own ideas on how it could be performed. He would, for a start, have to lose the guitar, or it wouldn't work. And Don would either have to start the song playing percussion or guitar and then come down the front and stand next to him for the last verse. Either that or they could do it the way they do How Long with them both playing guitar, but for once in his life I wish Glenn would just stand there and sing during an Eagles show.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for all of these, Soda. I always thought Karla Bonoff has a beautiful voice. And actually that's the first time I've ever heard Laura Creamer when she wasn't singing backup. She has a very pretty voice too.

As much as I'd love to see it, unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath for Glenn doing a duet with a female singer. If he hasn't done one up to this point, he probably won't do it now. However, I never say never. He's surprised us before. I bet it would be awesome.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Speaking of Glenn and surprises, I watched some video downloads of the Eagles' Seattle 1976 concert on our site and I was surprised that Glenn pulled a harmonica out of his pocket and played it for one verse of Seven Bridges Road! That was very cool.

You just never know what our guys are going to do.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - that boy is quite the musician, isn't he? He used to also play the harmonica back in the day when they performed Doolin' Dalton as well. I loved it - I thought he looked so cute.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

He really did.
    I've always been fascinated by harmonica players. Some of my favorite singers also play harmonica--Billy Joel, Taylor Hicks--just to name a few.

I never knew that Glenn did that
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Yep - that boy is quite the musician, isn't he? He used to also play the harmonica back in the day when they performed Doolin' Dalton as well. I loved it - I thought he looked so cute.
    Me, too, dreamer. I need to watch that again!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten