Fun Facts About the Eagles
Some completely random pieces of trivia
- The first time the original members of the Eagles played together was as a backing band for Linda Ronstadt in Disneyland. She and her manager John Boylan helped them get together.
- The name "Eagles" was chosen for a variety of reasons - its association with Western mythology, freedom, Americana... and the fact that in Glenn's mind, it sounded like a sports team or a gang.
- The concept album Desperado was inspired by a book about old West outlaws - including photos of their corpses - that Glenn had received as a birthday present pre-Eagles fame.
- The Eagles' Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 is the best-selling record of all time.
- The phrase "Life in the Fast Lane" was introduced into popular culture by the Eagles song.
- The Eagles have won six Grammys. In 1975, Lyin' Eyes won Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus. In 1977, the single Hotel California won for record of the year, and New Kid in Town won Best Arrangement for Voices. In 1979, Heartache Tonight won Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus. In 2008, How Long won Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals. Finally, in 2009, I Dreamed There Was No War won Best Pop Instrumental Performance.
- The Eagles have had five #1 hit singles: The Best of My Love, One of These Nights, Hotel California, New Kid in Town, and Heartache Tonight.
- They had four consecutive #1 albums: One of These Nights, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, Hotel California, and The Long Run.
- After shows in the seventies, the Eagles were infamous for their "Third Encore" which included bathtubs of booze, copius amounts of illegal substances, and quite a few eager groupies. Destruction of hotel suites was not uncommon.
- The "resumption" tour in 1994 was named Hell Freezes Over as a joking reference to what Don Henley used to tell people when they asked him if the Eagles would ever get back together.
- The Eagles were inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, where for the only time to date, all seven present-and-former members performed together.