Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Song questions

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Song questions

1) The only song I can think of that all members have writing credit on is Saturday Night. Are there any others? -Obviously, I mean "all" as the members at the time of song release.

2) Bringing this forward from another thread. Has Desperado always been the final song at their shows? I guess I'm only coming to realize this the past few months. (Yes, I do live in a cave)

3) (extension of #2) How do you feel about Desperado being the final song they play?

--------------------

I'm going to answer #3 here... Disclaimer: Only "my" opinion, do not stone me... I could really take or leave Desperado. For years, I would skip over that song when it came on CD rotation. Only this past winter did I actually begin semi liking it. Too me (oh goodness, I can't believe I'm sayin this, the lynch mob will be here soon)... but Desperado and Hotel California are so cliche. Now, let me clarify... I mean cliche like this; when someone is unfamiliar w/the Eagles (shame on them) you can usually get them to recognize the Eagles by saying, "you know, Hotel California, Desperado". I guess over played may be a better term.

For me personally, I think I would like Take It Easy as the last song. It's a nice good bye, see ya later, take it easy...

Default Re: Song questions

1) I can't recall any other songs where all current performing members were contributors. There are plenty of collaborations between two/three of them, but maybe I've missed something.

2 & 3) I've seen the Eagles every time they've toured and I can't remember a show that didn't close with Desperado as their last number. Personally I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T close with it....it's one of my favorites.

As for your comment about the lynch mob, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we aren't always going to be in agreement. It's what makes the world interesting. To make my point, I like Hotel California but there have been some concerts where I could take it or leave it -- and I often used the opportunity to head out for a bathroom and beverage break. But I also respect those who live to hear that song. God love 'em.
    I just need a little downtime.........

I personally don't like it when a concert ends with a slow song. Besides The Eagles doing it Fleetwood Mac did it on The Dance with Songbird. It's not a big deal - I would just rather have them rock out.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

I was lucky enough to see the HFO tour when they closed with Desperado and then Take It Easy. Desperado featured Don on drums and Glenn on piano and like Dreamer, to me this is the way the song should be played. I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.

Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'. I don't know how they closed their shows in the 70s but I assume it was with Take It Easy.

Border Desperado

Yes, in other times the closers were TIE and also HC...
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Stuck on the Border

I am not aware that HC has actually closed a show. It used to be the first encore. In my opinion it still should be an encore.

The reversal of RMW and TIE as I have said elsewhere baffles me. I don't like to see TIE downgraded and a song which was not even recorded by the Eagles elevated in this way. I love RMW but it should not be the second last song.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'.
    Oh, I 100% agree with this...that would be such a fun way to end the show - maybe even add a enterlude to it at the end to make it longer...

~Tonja~

Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'.
    I can agree, too.
    Take It Easy would be a really good song at the end of the show,
    however I find Desperado at the end is also very well.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I was lucky enough to see the HFO tour when they closed with Desperado and then Take It Easy. Desperado featured Don on drums and Glenn on piano and like Dreamer, to me this is the way the song should be played. I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.

Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'. I don't know how they closed their shows in the 70s but I assume it was with Take It Easy.
    This says it all for me, too, Fp.

I would rather leave the show on an upbeat note than a sad one, too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - as far as I know, Desperado has been the closer since HFO. At this point I don't mind it - I guess I'm just use to it. I definitely prefer them performing it with Don on drums and Glenn on piano, but it is also nice to have Don front and center sometimes. As far as Don taking the mike out of the stand, that doesn't bother me at all. Considering that both Don and Glenn close their solo shows with Desperado tells me that they both like it as the closer, and, therefore, I ain't gonna hold my breath waiting for a change anytime soon. I do agree with those of you that think TIE would be a great closer since it is upbeat and their first hit.

Now as far as the encore, I would personally like to see them go back to two encores. However, that probably won't happen either. If they are going to keep one encore with TIE, RMW, and Desperado, then I think that RMW should be in the middle. It seems to me that the most important position of songs in an encore are the opener and closer.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016