Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

Default Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

Some of you might have seen the Saturday Night Live sketch called "The H is O" a few years ago. It consisted of vulgar nonsense, with Will Farrell playing Glenn Frey (ha! he wishes he looked half as good as Glenn!) as a homosexual sadist who gets off on sexually abusing other men. ::shudder::

Well, the guy who directed that sketch, Adam McKay, actually lost a movie deal because of it.

From Philadephia Daily News:

"[McKay's movie] almost didn't get off the ground - in script form, 'Anchorman' was turned down by nearly every reputable studio, and had one memorable false start.

'We had a green light at one point, until one of the executives saw a short film that I'd done that had Ben Stiller being sexually assaulted by Glenn Frey. Thirty seconds after he saw it, he called to say he didn't want to be in business with us.'"

Serves him right, if you ask me!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

Oh, I've seen this reference on Wikipedia and wondered what mentality that director had. Even if he gets backing for his movie, I'll be giving it a miss.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Those executives were right on target! Serves the jerk right!

I was repulsed when I saw the skit . How anyone could ever connect Glenn & a homosexual & sadistic act is beyond me . Regardless of who it was about, it was indeed vulgar!

Out on the Border

How bizarre! Didn't see the skit, but it just seems so weird that they would do that. I mean, why Glenn? I wonder if they just picked his name out of a hat or what. Glad the movie executives made such a quick response.

What happened to SNL? It used to be such a good program - now it just seems to lack judgment. (A rhetorical question, no need to answer it.) Feel free to answer the 'Why Glenn?' question, though.

Karen (I'm new)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Welcome Karen--Is Glenn your fave Eagle also? He seems to have the monopoly here. Feel free to join in often.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Welcome to the Border from me too, Karen! I hope you will have some fun here with fellow Eagles fans!

I haven't a clue why they should have picked on Glenn, a happily married father of three. Some past grudge perhaps?

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Hey Kim!
    and welcome!

Welcome Karen!

Adam McKay once said he picked Glenn because he was a founding Eagle and that it was a "punk rock thing." You know, the idea that they're egotistical sell-outs with no musical integrity or that kind of lame crap. I think Glenn got targeted rather than Don because McKay wanted to incorporate the whole Miami Vice thing and make fun of musicians who get into acting.

Whatever.

In the early 90s, I loved watching SNL - Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler.... it was terrific. In the last ten years, however, it has been steadily going downhill - relying more on potty humor and vulgarity than intelligent satire. As a result, I've completely lost interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    [Glenn] seems to have the monopoly here.
    I don't know, seems like lately some diversification has been taking place! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've only just seen this thread now! Dunno how I missed it before, tho it might have been started when I had other things on my mind a few weeks ago. I too read about that skit on Wikipedia, but again, discounted it immediately. I would have no desire to see it. How Dare ANYONE feel that they have the right to cast Glenn or indeed any other man in such a role, when it is blatently untrue. He is lucky Glenn did not sue for defamation of character. I'm delighted McKays movie was rejected. It deserved to be. If it or any other movie directed by this jerk is ever aired I too will be avoiding it like the plague.

Oh, Welcome from me too Karen!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP