Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcoholism and Legal Marijuana

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Alcoholism and Legal Marijuana

I will start this thread by stating that I drink in moderation in social settings and enjoy it. However, I believe that alcoholism is a rampant epidemic in our society, touching every family in a bad way. I read TT's post about the drunk driver who killed her friend's son, and it was his 7th DUI. My friend is getting divorced from her alcoholic husband, after her alcoholic sister suddenly died after a brief period of abstaining and then drinking again about 5 years ago. Alcoholism ruins so many lives and families, it makes me furious.

I can see that the dominoes are falling and marijuana will soon be legal everywhere. I don't smoke it and don't really have any thoughts on it. I just hope it doesn't destroy as many lives as alcohol does.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Default Re: Alcoholism and Legal Marijuana

I think it will become legal everywhere eventually...Alcoholism is prevalent in my family...my brother, a niece, and a nephew...and countless cousins are alcoholic...and the effect is far reaching...as far as pot goes...I don't think it's as harmless as many people think...scares me to think of it legalized...

It's been almost exactly 3 years ago today that I lost my uncle due to his alcoholism. You're right that this is prevailing disease in every society, unfortunatelly.
    As for marijuana, there is a huge debate nowadays in Poland whether it should be legal or not. Personally I wouldn't like to see it available for everybody, especially for children and youngsters, as it IS addictive and may lead to the use hard drugs. Just today I came across an interesting related artice:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...cientists.html

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

I think some people need to do a little more research on Pot before they dismiss it. Medical Marijuana has benefits.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I for one believe that medical marijuana should absolutely be available everywhere, to those who need it for relief from symptoms, just like other doctor-prescribed medications. It does work, no doubt, and to legally withhold it from sufferers is cruel.

I should have clarified in my original post that I'm discussing legalization for recreational use, for everyone, just for fun. I don't know what the age limits are by state - assuming 18 or 21.

I agree having medical marijuana available to people who get a prescription for it is ok. It has many benefits. My father died of alcoholism and believe me if DUI offenders could see a man in late stages of cirrhosis it may just make them stop and think about what they are doing to themselves and others.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I think some people need to do a little more research on Pot before they dismiss it. Medical Marijuana has benefits.
    Somehow I feel it's addressed to me...
    As I said,
    I wouldn't like to see it available for everybody, especially for children and youngsters, as it IS addictive and may lead to the use of hard drugs
    I did not refer to medical use of marijuana since, as I understood, this was not the subject of this thread.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

I think in many ways the jury is still out when it comes to recreational marijuana but I agree that it should be available for medical uses where it's beneficial. Regrettably I saw firsthand several years ago how using it recreationally can result in disastrous outcomes when the son of one of my friends was allowed to smoke pot beginning around age 13. By the time he was 18 he had graduated to crack and meth. I spent a tense and frightening night sitting with her at the ER when he OD'ed and crashed twice before they were able to stabilize him. Unfortunately the father was an alcoholic who was in serious denial, insisting that his drinking was a choice rather than a serious illness and repeatedly declaring he could quit any time - and he was stumbling drunk when he got to the hospital. Imagine seeing the two of them laughing and joking about the whole situation the next day. The son kept saying, "Wow, I can't believe they (his friends) brought me to the hospital. How lame is that?" The mother told him he crashed twice and nearly died; the father kept saying, "That's my boy! How cool is that!?!" AND he told the kid how PROUD he was of him.

The kid was sent to a rehab boot camp and came out clean & sober but it only lasted for about six months. And in that same period of time the father began experiencing 'waking blackouts' where he would appear to be functioning normally but had absolutely no recollection of it after. He was diagnosed as suffering from Korsakoff's psychosis due to chronic alcoholism. He refused to quit drinking or driving (both on the strong advice of his doctor) and was eventually responsible for a serious accident that left a 14-year-old girl paralyzed and her mother requiring extensive reconstructive surgery to repair the facial damage she suffered. The police found an empty vodka bottle, half a 'suitcase' of empty beer cans and 2 ounces of marijuana in his truck at the scene and he tested off the charts. Sadly, he still drinks and smokes pot, drives without a valid license or insurance, and STILL insists that he can quit any time he chooses. The son has 4-5 DUI arrests in as many years. My girlfriend divorced him and has subsequently washed her hands of the son who is in his late 20's and lives & parties with his Dad.

Also, my uncle was an EMT for years but quit the same day he responded to a call that required jaws of life to extricate two people from their demolished vehicle, innocent victims of a drunk driver. They were my counsins' best friend and the boys' mother and they were pronounced at the scene. The other guy was drunk and high - and walked away without a scratched, complaining that he didn't know what all the fuss was about because the vehicles could be replaced!

I admit that I enjoy having a glass of wine from time to time, but always in moderation and never on an empty stomach. I am NOT an advocate of alcohol OR recreational drugs. I don't believe recreational drugs should be legalized and wish there was a greater focus on finding a resolution to the rampant drinking problems in this country. Just my opinion.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

HORRIBLE story VOL

I don't think marijuana should be legalized but I do believe it's good for certain medical purposes when used very carefully

Ok, my two cents worth. I will start by saying that I do not drink at all. But I have no problem with those who do, as long as they can stay in control.
    Pot, on the other hand, I worry about. I am fine with medical marijuana. It is prescribed and regulated. I think that eventually it will be legalized everywhere, just like alcohol. But then we will start reading articles and stories about people killed by a high driver instead of a drunk driver. I guess what worries me is the attitude many have, that pot is harmless - it isn't. There is a reason why they call it a gateway drug. And it is addictive.
    I have a friend that counsels kids who have been put on probation for drinking and drugs. She tells me that what is happening now is that some dealers are lacing pot with harder drugs in order to get them to need a bigger high, and to move on to harder drugs. Its scary what people will do.
    And just a disclosure here - I have a son who has gotten into some trouble with drugs. It isn't fun, and watching him try to stay away, even though he only used for a couple years recreationally, has been hard. He is doing really well, but it is so easy to relapse. I hate that kids have the attitude that drugs are no big deal.