Page 7 of 136 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I am almost hoping England beats Australia in the Rugby quarter final.
    So am I!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Yes, but you're supposed to support England. I'm not.

Melbourne won the Rugby League 34-8 so I'm happy today.

Stuck on the Border

I know about the Chicago Cubs curse. My Australian love of the underdog means I hope they do OK.
    The Chicago Cubs are not underdogs in any sense of the word. Their owners have enough money to put the best players on the field money can buy.

It's their smugness and arrogance that keeps the bad Karma surrounding the team. Oh, and the fact that even with all that expensive talent out there -every year they choke.

If you want to root for an underdog -the Brewers are the ultimate underdog in Major League baseball. Smallest city to have a team -smallest TV market which means the least revenue. Not as much money to throw at talented veterans.

What we have is a good "farm" system that develops young players. Our team is made up of kids that play with so much enthusiasm and youthful exuberance that they are a joy to watch.
    No big names -no big pay checks, just a tightknit group that loves to play the game and a small city that has fallen in love with all them.

Stuck on the Border

All I meant was I thought they could be regarded as underdogs because of this 'curse'.

Stuck on the Border

All I meant was I thought they could be regarded as underdogs because of this 'curse'.
    The curse is a myth, of course. It's certainly something we have fun with here in Wisconsin. And, I obviously can't hide my disdain for the Cubs.

More than one Wisconsinite has shown up outside Wrigley Field this past week - goat in tow! If I had a goat -I'd be there as well!
    (I don't think my hubby -who's an old goat -qualifies!)

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    More than one Wisconsinite has shown up outside Wrigley Field this past week - goat in tow! If I had a goat -I'd be there as well!
    (I don't think my hubby -who's an old goat -qualifies!)
    This just cracked me up Molly.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border

It's so much fun to be a Cheesehead right now!

Sunday, Packer's Quarterback, Brett Favre broke the all-time NFL touchdown record. Here he is celebrating by picking up and carrying Greg Jennings, the player who caught touchdown pass number 421!

Awesome Molly!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border

I thought I'd revive this thread because I've recently had a rugby league player I have always despised, from the team that I hate the most, join my team. You go for years deriding a sportsman and suddenly you're expected to cheer for him. Already I find myself seeing him in a different, more positive light. The whole concept of following sport seems so superficial when your opinions are forced to change like this. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

(An equivalent for English fans would be, for me, Wayne Rooney joining Liverpool. For Americans I suppose it might be someone from the Boston Red Sox joining the Yankees).

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Or in Irish GAA circles a confirmed comitted Dublin player 'defecting'to Kerry!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP