Page 131 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1351

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

ANDY MURRAY!!!!!!!!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That was so flaming exciting - winning the championship in a tiebreak, wooh! I was shoutin'. Very happy for Andy.

Border Desperado

I'm a few days late, but congratulations to Portugal, champions of Euro 2016! While the final wasn't the most attractive, free-flowing match, Portugal got the job done. It was heartbreaking to see CR7 stretchered off injured so early and I'm sure many people figured France would triumph when he left the pitch.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Congratulations to Portugal! I'm not going to pretend they were my favourite team to watch, and I'm not the greatest fan of their captain, but they did a great job in the knockout games. It's weird how they finished third in their group and went on to win the tournament, but a win is a win! It was a shame for France though, they did play some very good football and Griezmann was excellent once he got going.

Although I'm kind of used to seeing Cristiano Ronaldo as a 'villain', it could have been quite different - I believe my club Liverpool were seriously interested in signing him in summer 2003. However, Manchester United put in a far larger bid and that was that... Unfortunately I can't say I'm terribly fond of Nani (Ronaldo-Lite!) or Ricardo Carvalho either. On a more positive note I think young Renato Sanches already looks a brilliant talent, and the keeper Rui Patricio was superb in the final.

I have mixed feelings about the expanded tournament - on one hand it gave teams like Wales and, yes, Iceland a chance to shine, and other teams like Albania their first ever appearance in a major tournament. It was kind of pleasing that none of the smaller teams looked really out of their depth. On the other hand, I think the knowledge that three draws could be enough to get through to the second round encouraged cagey football and this meant there weren't many classic games. I also think the increasing homogenisation of tactics and playing styles across Europe also increases the likelihood of stalemates (although Iceland were one of the main exceptions to this).

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

The Olympics start today!!! I love watching both the summer and winter games but prefer the summer since I watch more of the sports. I love watching the swimming, girls gymnastics, basketball, track, soccer, beach volleyball, and various other sports. Golf has also been added back after not being a part of the Olympics since 1904. Plus, the IOC announced two days ago for the 2020 games in Tokyo they are finally adding back baseball & softball, which I've missed, and the last time they had it was 2008.

Go Team USA!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I probably won't get to see much of the games, but I will watch the opening ceremony tonight.

USA!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

The 2016/17 football season has just kicked off so I'll do a brief summary of some of the more interesting things that have gone on.

It was a hugely exciting opening game for Liverpool, with a 4-3 win away to Arsenal. This is a huge result for us because IIRC since Arsenal moved into their new Emirates stadium a decade ago we had only won once there. What was particularly impressive was how, having equalised just prior to half time, the team rushed into a 4-1 lead in the second half. Arsenal later pulled two goals back to make it a nervous finish, but it was a great result nonetheless, the only shame being that these goals prevented Liverpool from topping the table after the opening weekend, an honour which unfortunately went to the old enemy Manchester United (although this doesn't mean much in the grander scheme of things).

After Leicester City's stunning title win last season, they became victims of a shock themselves as the reigning champions unexpectedly lost their opening game of the season against unfancied Hull City, a team which is not only newly promoted but currently has no permanent manager and is desperately short of fit players.

Several rungs below the Premier League, It's also been a great start to the season for my local team Tranmere Rovers - they top the National League (the highest division below the Football League, where they played for 94 years until 2015) having won all four of their league matches so far, the only team in the division to do so. The games come thick and fast in this league in the first three months of the season so a fast start is extremely helpful.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, it was a good start.

They have a tipping competition on the Genesis board where you have to predict the results of four Prem & four Championship games every week. Due to my optimistic tip of Liverpool I started in second place. It won't be easy because I will have to keep an eye on Championship results (which I will probably do anyway given that Newcastle are down there).

As for the Olympics I must congratulate Team GB on their performance. Australia, as usual, went in talking big & boasting how they would finish in the Top 5. Again they underperformed in the pool & again the attempts at pretending any athletes would achieve anything didn't happen.

Highlights for me have been Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps & da Silva, the Brazilian pole vaulter, although the crowd behaved extremely badly in booing the Frech silver medallist.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

As I'm a dual citizen, I'll say that I think both of my countries, GB and NZ, did well at the Olympics given their populations and compared to past history. Only one country with a smaller population than NZ did better: Jamaica!

What a fantastic performance by Team GB! Didn't want to say anything earlier in case I 'jinxed' it, but second in the medals table - wow! It's hard to believe that we won more medals than on home soil four years ago and overtook China. I didn't watch that much of it, partly because a lot of the events were on in the early hours of the morning.

AT, if only Usain Bolt had been from New Zealand? IIRC Jamaica got nine gold medals, three of which were his.

Also quite nice to see the Brazilian football team get some revenge on the Germans in the Olympic football after their 7-1 mauling at the World Cup two years ago. After some dodgy penalties in their Euro 2016 game against Italy, it appears the Germans aren't quite as good as penalty shoot outs as they once were! Unfortunately England aren't actually good enough now to get sufficiently far to find out for themselves...