Thread: Me playing The Hotel California Solo

Out on the Border

Default Me playing The Hotel California Solo

This is just me playing the first part of the solo when I was 13 <3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwvm9UeMsU

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Me playing The Hotel California Solo

Very humble (and honest when you're a beginner) to use the word "attempt".
    I don't know how long you've been playing the guitar, so it's hard to say how well you're progressing, but a couple of comments. I think you're playing it a bit too fast here. In my opinion you should play it slower (perhaps even slower than on the record) and really enjoy all the phrases until you're really comfortable with it. Nothing wrong with playing things slower - playing slow is underrated!

Also, there are a lot of notes in that solo that (in my opinion) could be played as pull-off's - you don't have to pick every note. I think Felder does a lot off pull off's in that solo too. But if you're going to pick them all, you could use alternate picking too, and work on the dynamics so that all the notes aren't equally loud. Although I have to admit that there's a certain charm there when you play certain phrases with all down strokes. It's not necessarily a bad thing that you have your own way of playing certain bits!

Having said all that, although the solo isn't fast and there's no shredding, it's not an easy solo in terms of interpretation. It's hard to make it sing. I don't think even Felder himself ever played it live as well as he did on the record!

I hope some of the "real" guitarists here will offer better comments, but this will have to do until then.

PS. Have you checked out Glenn's Take The Devil solos?

First of all, it's very cool to see another Walsh/Felder fan and someone who loves this solo.

I pretty much agree with Chaim. There are a lot of pull offs as opposed to picked notes. I'd also try to make it slightly more "fluid", and the best way to do that is do what Chaim suggested, and start slow. Felder's part was always more smooth and fluid than the second half/Walsh's part, which is slightly more reckless in a good way.

My only tips are listen to it again (best thing to do is get some good headphones where you can hear everything better) and try some pull offs, and slow it down and get it flowing more smoothly and you'll have it! Some of the bends are up a minor third, and require a big bend. The easiest way to help with that is put one or two fingers behind the bent note for support. Don Felder suggested that in a guitar video once and he's right.

Also, I'm wondering how old this video is, as you said it was when you were 13 so maybe by now you've picked up most of everything over time that I suggested.

Regardless, good job and props to you for posting this!

It says it's been removed by the user - too bad. I would have liked to see it. Oh well, welcome at any rate!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten