Page 224 of 302 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    VA and GA, (sorry I haven't figured out how to multi quote yet)
    My problem is getting started. I have no clue and no one to show me how to get started looking at colleges and applying to them. My GED teacher had me check out scholarships toward the end of my mandatory 35 hours in "class". (I scored post high school levels on the assessment tests, so all I had to do was show up). I have no career counselor. Heck, I don't even no someone who went to college. I'm trying to figure this out on my own. I have no guidance. I have no clue where to start or what to do. My GED teacher had me partially fill out the NASFTA, but that's all I've done. How do I go about applying or getting financial aid? There's only one college around my rural area that easily accept GED graduates. The other one, I can get into, but I haven't taken the SAT or ACT and they don't accept students who haven't taken at least one (I can't afford to pay for the test).
    Currently, I have no job. Because of my physical disability and the limited jobs available, I can't work. I want to work, but I can't handle the physical needs of the jobs here. The only jobs here are for farming. I want to major in history. I need a cushy kind of job and I thought that something along the lines of a museum curator would be ideal.
    It's different in every state, so I don't know what your options are for a community college and if they require SAT/ACT testing. Back in Virginia, I don't thinking they do, but you're required to take a placement test and if you don't score well enough, you need to take remedial classes. Given all that, they are required to accept everyone.

As for a job, that is a problem, being in such a rural area. I'm not sure what you can and can't do, but if you need a job in order to afford to take the SAT or ACT, then maybe check in with the closest unemployment office? They should have counselors there that can help you with getting a job and figuring out what you can and can't do.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

An unemployment office might also be able to organise a waiver or a grant for the SAT fee, so that you could in fact take it. They do those kind of things over here a lot on the basis that you should not be denied an education purely as a result of not being able to afford it. You should investigate if there is any financial help or sponsorship available
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'll check out the unemployment agency the next time that I'm in town. The nearest city is 25 miles away, so I don't go there often, maybe twice a month. It's where the agency is located. I've got the study books for both tests (they were available very cheap on Amazon). It's different for different schools. I know that every college within a 100 mile radius, except one, requires one of the tests. I'm thinking of community college for 2 years, then a state school. I've just been dealt another blow that makes my budget even tighter. I remember checking out info about the SAT a few months ago. It said that thry only waive the fee for poor high school students.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm way behind here and am trying to catch up with everyone!

AG, good for you! I hope you can find a way to get in to a college. I think you have been given some very good advice here and don't have anything to add. Good luck!

WW, hope you are feeling better!

Ga, summer vacation for teachers! I've always been jealous of teachers that have the whole summer off! I'm so glad my dnl is a teacher and gets to spend the summer with our grandson! I also have several inlaws and nieces that are teachers! Enjoy!

I sure did hate to get up and come back to work this morning! I really enjoyed the last week off from work, plus the weekends and a holiday to boot! A break much needed!

Friday with my mom turned out pretty well, considering! I had told her a couple weeks before that we would go and visit my daughter one day and actually told her on Monday that we would be going on Friday. My daughter is one of her favorite grands and she is constantly asking about her, so I thought she would really enjoy it. I didn't mention it anymore and she is having short term memory loss. My sister (her caregiver) lives close by and said she wouldn't tell her till that morning that we were going because she tends to 'get sick' and not want to go anywhere and she just has to make her go wherever. So, anyway, she went over at 7:30 that morning to give her her meds and tell her to get ready. When I got there at 9 she was laying on the couch in her nightgown and had no idea why I was there! There was no big hurry so I helped her get ready and we went. She was a bit disoriented for a while and said she didn't feel well, but we went on and she was fine. So we visited and went out to lunch and then to the mall for a while. I got a wheel chair for her as she has trouble walking very far. Turned out ok. Then on the way home she asked me if one of us was sick and had been to the doctor, that being the reason for going? I told my sister about it and she is now concerned about her staying in her apartment alone. Sad.

The rest of my weekend was pretty good except for rain off and on! We had the son and his family and a sister/bnl/and three kids over for bar-be-cue yesterday. Then went to a nieces' softball game. All in all, a good day!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm looking for prayers and positive vibes, whatever.

My mother hasn't been well over the past few weeks. A UTI has made her weak, but she seemed to be recovering except for the fact that she has been slow on her feet. My brother and I have been trying to get her to go to the Doctor but she has refused point blank. She refuses any kind of home care too. And she is Dads full-time carer. Today I got an alarming call from their very good neighbour of 40 years. Apparently she was in bed 'out of it'. I went over (Hubby went over from work too) to find her coherent but a bit disorientated. Apparently she felt 'groggy' and sort of fainted/collapsed. She is not well at all but refuses to acknowledge it. I am hoping to get a house call for her tomorrow. If I can't my brother will have her admitted to hospital. Needless to say I am very worried about her, and it doesn't help that we fly to Florida on Saturday. I'm sorry I ever booked that holiday now.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

GA - sorry to hear about your mother. Sometimes when that happens, its usually low blood sugar (happens to my mother sometimes, that's how she fell two months ago).
    The best thing is to get her admitted to hospital, she probably is worried about leaving your dad and going into the actual hospital, but once she's there, she should be able to relax and get the care she needs and you can sort of enjoy your holiday. Hope you have a good time anyway.

Its just Sod's law when things like that happen when you have something planned so sending positive thoughts your way!!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Prayers for you at this difficult time.
    It could be any y kinda of imbalance ...... meds

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    GA - sorry to hear about your mother. Sometimes when that happens, its usually low blood sugar (happens to my mother sometimes, that's how she fell two months ago).
    The best thing is to get her admitted to hospital, she probably is worried about leaving your dad and going into the actual hospital, but once she's there, she should be able to relax and get the care she needs and you can sort of enjoy your holiday. Hope you have a good time anyway.

Its just Sod's law when things like that happen when you have something planned so sending positive thoughts your way!!
    Thanks Lacken and TT. I think you are right. She also told us later on in the evening that they hadn't eaten as she was 'too busy doing some little jobs' and had intended making their meal later. I'd say its the blood sugar and maybe she needs to be rehydrated. The Doctor is calling down within the next few minutes so we will hopefully have an answer then.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Oh wow, I've missed a lot. Let me say well wishes to everyone who needs them and get well soon to everyone who is down and out.

-----

Everything is going ok here other than hip pain. Go see my surgeon (the first guy, not the second opinion) in July. The NSAID did nothing, the injections helped some but not as much as the first ones did.

I'm having two Ausfests this year, a smaller one in a couple weeks with just close family and friends and then the bigger one in the fall. Looking forward to rocking out and having fun with friends and family. Then I take off to Current River with my grandma/stepgrandpa. No tubing this year - my hips just cant handle it. Hope to go out in the boat some.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Austin, good luck with the doctor. Glad to hear the shots worked somewhat.

GA, I hope things with your mother get better. Was she always the type to avoid going to the doctor? I have read lately, and perhaps shared it here, that as people get older, they need to drink more and more water to have the same results as when they were younger, and yet a lot of elderly people intentionally drink less, whether they think about it or not, because they don't like getting up to go to the bathroom so often.

For myself, I'm in PA, at Mom's house, got in around 1am. That drive seems to get longer and longer. Being so late and a weeknight, there was little traffic, however there were a LOT of deer. Made me glad I was in a truck, since it sits up higher, the headlights shine farther and to the sides more.

Very early tomorrow morning Mom and I leave for Hatteras, NC, an even longer trip. The best route will take me within 5 miles of the house I used to own, so it'll be a surreal trip.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 05-28-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.