Page 227 of 301 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Sorry VA - I guess I kinda switched gears on you in my last post. The link I'm getting the malware warning on is the Lindsey Buckingham article. I'm familiar with how malware gets embedded in links, but sometimes if my mouse hovers over a live link even briefly, it will open even if I don't click it, so I have to be really cautious.

And to switch gears again back to to hip-hop article, I agree with what you are saying. But, apparently unlike Eagles fans, for example, those former hip-hop fans who have grown up maybe aren't passing their fandom on to the next generation. I think the bottom line is that hip-hop music just doesn't enjoy the mass appeal that Eagles music does. BTW, I also think the author exaggerated quite a bit to make his point. He listed numerous rock and roll artists that are selling out arenas, when in fact, very few actually do. As we have mentioned in other threads, in order for most rock and rollers to sell out arenas these days, they have to partner with several other acts. I guess it's possible that even if hip-hop artists did the same thing, they still couldn't attract the same numbers as rock and roll acts. To paraphrase what some wise musicians once said 'It's all about song power'!
    I agree, although the hip hop acts he spoke of were partnering with several others and STILL only selling out small theaters. And of course it's all radio's fault. Go figure. It's like he doesn't realize that young people these days do not listen to radio.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

If someone thought they could make money out of "classic" hip hop by playing it on the radio or arranging arena tours, it would be hapenning. It's down to market forces.

An English national daily newspaper, the Daily Mail, has a magazine with its Saturday issue, and on the last page has 'The definite article' in which they "ask a celebrity a set of devilishly probing questions - and only accept THE definitive answer".

In the one dated 2 August 2014 the celebrity was Pat Cash (former Aussie tennis player) and one of the questions asked was 'The poem that touches your soul . . . . . '

His reply: I've never really got poetry, but songs move me. 'One of these nights' by the Eagles has really powerful lyrics.

Not sure if I agree with 'powerful' to describe OOTN's lyrics.

Border Troubadour

Indeed, odd one that. I could understand classifying the lyrics to the other two hits off that album as 'poetic' or powerful, but OOTN?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Powerful isn't a word I'd use to describe the lyrics in OOTN's either, but I guess those lyrics speak to that guy in a different way. The first word that comes to my mind is sexy, but I guess sexy can be pretty powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    If someone thought they could make money out of "classic" hip hop by playing it on the radio or arranging arena tours, it would be hapenning. It's down to market forces.
    Exactly UTW! That's the point I was trying to make in my post on the previous page.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm still surprised they managed to make money off of it the first time around
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking! I should have read down further before commenting. I am still too new at this.
    It's always good to have a good point reaffirmed!
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50
    Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Lindsay Buckingham seems to think the Eagles always know what they want and wishes FM could be more like them.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015...ey-buckingham/
    Lindsay's comments could be posted on the "Dumb things said about the Eagles" thread.

Fleetwood Mac are not one of my favourite bands but I'm pretty sure, despite their struggles, they've produced far more LPs than the Eagles. Even ignoring the pre-Stevie/Lindsay era.
    Lindsey is talking about their decision-making processes now, not the number of albums each band has produced over the course of their existences.

At this point in their career, the Eagles are able to come to an agreement about what they are going to do and then do it. Lindsey envies that.

Fleetwood Mac has three different vocalists who don't necessarily all want the same thing and there is not the kind of clear-cut power structure there is in the Eagles. Drummer Mick Fleetwood is the leader of the band, but he doesn't have any real power in terms of the direction of the band. He doesn't write or sing. He needs his vocalists to come to an agreement before they can continue. Sure, he could "fire" Chris, Stevie, or Lindsey if they don't do what he wants, but doing so would make the band less marketable. His only card is one he'll never play. That renders him essentially powerless, "band leader" or no.

Right now, Lindsey and Christine want to make an album, then tour; Stevie wants to tour without making an album and instead concentrate on her solo career for a while... so what do they do? The band is stalled until they all agree.

The Eagles don't have that problem. Right now, Glenn and Don are on the same page, and Joe and Tim are cool with what they decide. At least, that's how it appears from the outside.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

FM seems to govern by consensus, whereas the latter-day Eagles have a more centralized leadership structure.

Didn't Don Henley once sum up the earlier Eagles internecine squabbles as "too many chiefs, not enough Indians"?

Banned

It's wonderful how Fleetwood Mac can knock out an album in a couple of months. It seems the Eagles have to brace themselves for several years of misery and torture to produce an album.
    As I said, FM have the benefit of a band leader who can't make a solo record as he doesn't write and sing.

Glenn did say he was trying to get the other Eagles to record some influential covers. He already had Buffalo Springfield's, On The Way Home earmarked but a couple of years have passed since then.

It's still too early to write it off. Maybe an Eagles version of On The Way Home will see the light of day in the next few years.