Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billboard Action

Default Re: Billboard Action

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    What do you folks think of Heavy Metal(Taking a Ride)? I never listend to it
    I like it; I think it's better than "Visions". Even though it was a modest hit, I had never heard it until a couple of months ago.

No need to apologize, Funk 50, I don't mind at all.

I disagree a bit that Randy "pretty much disappeared after One More Song". He did have another solo album after that one that yielded the top 30 hit "Never Been in Love". The first time I ever heard the name "Randy Meisner" was because of hearing this song on the radio back then. Plus he re-joined Poco in the late 80s (I'm not sure if "re-joined" is the right term if he was actually a founding member). The Poco album Legacy was their 2nd (and last) gold album out of about 1000 Poco albums, and Randy was a part of that. Even though he didn't become a household name, he still remained an active musician for several years.

Banned

In the UK, a hit single would be an appearance on Top Of The Pops, plus being well inside the top twenty selling singles for at least a week. Anything less than top thirty means the record buying public were not impressed.

In album terms, it's longevity would be more important than how high it reached in the charts. Long Road Out Of Eden was the Eagles first number one album but it disappeared after several weeks. Hotel California charted for years.

I don't know how Randy feels about it but I'm kinda sad about how his career faded after he left the Eagles. He had many attempts at trying to earn some success, with solo albums, Black Tie, Poco, Meisner, Swan & Rich, Rick Roberts, WCR. They all seemed unsatisfactory both artistically and commercially, lasting months rather than years. By the time the Eagles came calling again, I think he'd thrown the towel in.

Timothy paid his dues, when he was young, with Poco and in the pre-HFO 80s. His loyalty to Poco, as his band mates left in search of fame, has subsequently been rewarded.

It's great that Tim, in his 60s, is doing things on his own terms with Expando and Leap Of Faith, without the crippling Billboard Action pressure to contend with.

I wish Randy would have had more success post-Eagles but I'm glad he did do something. And the Eagles never did come calling, which made all the difference.

I agree Timothy is in a good place in his musical career; he can do what he wants without answering to anyone. Don F, too, to an extent. It's great that both Dons will be performing into the next year.

Greatest Hits 71-75 goes back in the Top 40 at no. 35 in the Billboard 200.
    Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Eagles' 'Hits' Back to Top 40, 'Stranger Things, Volume Two' Bows
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...s-billboard-20

Stuck on the Border

Here's the rest of it:
    Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - No. 35 — The album, released in 1976, jumps back into the top 40, thanks to a 99-cent sale price in the Google Play store. The greatest hits package rises 82-35 with 12,000 units (up 71 percent) and 10,000 copies sold (up 95 percent). Digital downloads made up nearly all of that sales sum for the week (just over 9,000) and the set concurrently climbs 20-6 on the Digital Albums chart.
    The rise on the Billboard 200 for Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 gives the set its 61st total week in the top 40. The album spent five weeks at No. 1 in 1976, and has sold 29 million copies in the U.S. according to the Recording Industry Association of America.
    I posted the who thing so I could ask a question. What's the difference between a unit and a copy sold?

I've read that it's up to the record label to request an audit from the RRIA in order the have an album re-certified, and that labels tend to do that when they have something to sell. GH1 got its 29 million certification in 2006 so it's probably overdue. Do you think they might do it prior to the Kennedy Awards?
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 09-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Good question. This paragraph from the same article may shed some light on it:

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).
    Also, this from Spin magazine:

There’s been plenty of notable records released this year, but seemingly no amount of great music can fix the industry’s declining album sales. Billboard and Nielsen Music (formerly Nielsen SoundScan) released some midyear 2016 sales data today, and so far, 2016 is the worst year for overall album sales since Nielsen started keeping track in 1991. Consumers bought 100.3 million album units — a number that accounts for digital downloads, CDs, and vinyl — in the first half of 2016, down 13.6 percent compared to the same time period in 2015.
    http://www.spin.com/2016/07/2016-alb...nce-last-year/

I guess the term "copies" refers to pure album sales.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I've read that it's up to the record label to request an audit from the RRIA in order the have an album re-certified, and that labels tend to do that when they have something to sell. GH1 got its 29 million certification in 2006 so it's probably overdue. Do you think they might do it prior to the Kennedy Awards?
    Interesting - Yeah, sounds like it should be re-certified if it's been that long. It would seem that it should have sold another million in the last 10 years, especially since Glenn's passing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm posting a week later than planned, but I'd like to note that for the week ending September 18, 1982, for the first time, three Eagles have solo albums ranked concurrently among the top 100 of the Billboard 200 album chart:

Glenn Frey, No Fun Aloud #50
    Don Henley, I Can't Stand Still #55
    Randy Meisner, Randy Meisner #94

I don't believe this ever occurs again after this chart run.
    In addition, the Fast Times at Ridgemont High soundtrack ranked #58 the same week. This album contains tracks by Don H ("Love Rules"), Joe ("Waffle Stomp"), Timothy ("So Much in Love") and Don F ("Never Surrender").

The band may have broken up, but these guys were still busy making music and making the charts.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/bill...200/1982-09-18

Greatest Hits 1972-75 re-entered the Billboard Top 200 album chart the week of June 23, 2018 at #196.

It climbed up to #85 (!) the following week although it has dropped to #90 this week. Amazing this album is in the current top 100. It has now spent a total of 231 weeks on this chart.

Greatest Hits Vol. 2 also made a re-appearance. It re-entered the Top 200 the week of June 30, 2018 at #168. It drops to #188 this week. It now has spent a total of 20 weeks on the album chart.

Incidentally, GH 1 peaked at #1 while GH 2 peaked at #52.

Anyway, I wonder what could account for this renewed charting of these albums—perhaps it’s due to the tour, which is more than half over?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That would be my guess, Delilah
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten