Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The "studio" version of HC (forgetting the original demo in Em, and Felder's lowered version in Am) was in the key of Bm.

To do this, Felder (and then Steuart) would play with a capo on a 12-string on the 7th fret and play an Em shape that makes Bm.

Glenn would play capo 2 with an Am shape, which makes it Bm.

All guitars in standard tuning, just with capos.

One trick is that in the Eagles, Glenn does not pick the strings individually, he strums them in time with stops in between each passage. Walsh plays traditional full barre chords without a capo.

The picking arpeggio is coming from Felder/Stu and them only. The other two strum off of those chords.

So the picking the individual strings is solely coming from Felder, and in later years Smith. Glenn is just strumming lightly in time with the song.

Now Glenn solo with his son, I've seen him try to pick the notes with a 2nd fret capo but it DOES sound funny when done this way but it is ok. But that is not what he is playing with the band. He only did that when there wasnt a guitar playing to play the picked intro.
    THANK YOU

I know how to play with capo and strum but they way he moves his wrist seems like he is picking along with Felder/Stu. Never knew he was only strumming.

So he does it at the beginning of each chord and at the end?

It always sounded like he was picking the acoustic with the 12 string electric.

Know I know why he always was close to Felder and Stu so he can strum and be in time.
    Just needed to know if he was picking along.

I don't even own a twelve string. So a chorused effect will do for now

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    THANK YOU

I know how to play with capo and strum but they way he moves his wrist seems like he is picking along with Felder/Stu. Never knew he was only strumming.

So he does it at the beginning of each chord and at the end?

It always sounded like he was picking the acoustic with the 12 string electric.

Know I know why he always was close to Felder and Stu so he can strum and be in time.
    Just needed to know if he was picking along.
    When the chords change and there is a brief pause, he stops strumming. He picks back up when the next chord starts. He moves his wrist only slightly, not big wide loud strums. It almost follows the bass line IMO.

Allnighter do you still have that Guitar? I happen to be in the market for one

Walshfan. Did Glenn and the others use Electric guitar amps when they plugged in their Acoustics and cover it with a sound hole? Reason I am asking is I am
    looking at Acoustic Electrics for my birthday and need to know if I should get a separate amp

Stuck on the Border

Here's a recent article by Takamine's USA "point person" about Glenn, the Eagles and Takamine guitars.

http://www.esptakamine.com/articles/...ory-glenn-frey

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, UtW!

"Bobby Thompson, founder of North Hollywood’s Third Encore, Nashville’s Soundcheck, and ex-Eagles tour-dog is driving me to the Frey home in Los Angeles."

Border Desperado

Third Encore

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The writer didn't seem to "get" the reference, or maybe he was just too polite to say

I wish they would have talked about Glenn's 12-string but noooo.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Walshfan. Did Glenn and the others use Electric guitar amps when they plugged in their Acoustics and cover it with a sound hole? Reason I am asking is I am
    looking at Acoustic Electrics for my birthday and need to know if I should get a separate amp
    Glenn I know used Trace Elliot acoustic amps, that have a tweeter and are better sounding for acoustic guitars. Not sure what Joe uses for acoustics, but it might be the same or he may use a DI box into the PA. In a lot of Eagles videos you'll see Glenn's Blackface Fender Deluxe (nonreverb) electric amp and right next to it the black and green Trace Elliot acoustic amp.

I, personally, don't like the sound of an acoustic through a electric guitar amp. It just sounds like a loud clean electric guitar and doesn't have that mellow warmth it needs. I prefer a PA with a DI box (like the Fishman Aura), OR, an acoustic amp. Right now with my Taylor I use the former and I love it. Acoustic amps are nice but when you are already lugging a PA and an electric rig, I know I don't want to haul yet another sound system. lol But most of the acoustic-only players do use acoustic amps instead of the PA, but again I play acoustic so little in a show it's not worth it for me.

Soundhole plugs are great when feedback is a problem but it does take away from the natural sound a bit. I think the Eagles used them because the quietness was more important than a pure acoustic tone. Squealing guitars is worse.