Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Timothy is fantastic on Eden but I guess I prefer Randy with the 70s stuff IMO he gave the harmonies a little bit of power to them while Timothy is great on more ballad type of songs brings a smoother type of feel.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Thought of another whilst I was listening to it tonight - would the end of WDIDWMH from Tell me you're not leaving now... be one of the few examples of the three part Don-Joe-TBS harmony?

I will give an extra shout out to Glenn on this too, his vocals at the end are one of the most powerful of any Eagles song, right up there with his And you're still around in NKIT, and Henley at the end of OOTN.
    I am not sure that Joe sings on WDIDWMH at all.

I love Glenn's backing vocal on the title track & Don's on Somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    It's funny because, although I love both of their voices, I like Timothy's better for almost the same reasons you stated. I think Randy had a stronger/more powerful voice, but to me, in harmony,it's all about the blending,and I think Timothy's voice blends better. His voice also has an incredibly sweet quality that I love.
    I agree with you, maryc.

Ok I think this is the best place for my question. I recently bought a beautiful pair of headphones, Sennheiser HD 598s, and my god does everything sound amazing; from my records, to movies, and the mp3s in my iTunes library. So I decided to watch the digital copy of HOTE on my Mac with the headphones on. The concert attached at the end sounded incredible. I could hear the instruments better (Joe's guitar on "Lyin' Eyes," Glenn's guitar, and Don's guitar on "Best of My Love") and the vocals (Glenn singing on "OOTN" and Felder in a couple songs). But the one thing that I couldn't and that really frustrated me was Joe's harmonies. Has anyone else had this problem? I listen hard when I see he is at the mic, but can't seem to pick out his voice.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I have to say I too have difficulty picking out Joe most of the time. However, I can definitely pick out his voice at the end of Take It Easy - listen to about 5:07-5:09 in this video, when the camera goes to a close up of Joe while everyone is singing the title line I am very confident that is his voice.

I think the truth is that Joe was far more important as a guitarist and musician than as a harmony singer - I think there's quite a few songs from the HC and Long Run albums where I think the harmonies are just Don H, Glenn and Randy/Tim with Joe and Don F focussed solely on their guitar parts (I'm thinking of rockers like LITFL and Those Shoes). I'm not completely sure, partly because there seems if anything to be more video footage from the pre-Joe era - I've actually never seen any concert footage from The Long Run era, and not for the want of trying!

The problem sometimes (if you can call it that!) is that the performances are too enjoyable and I get distracted while trying to listen to a specific part! The other day for instance I was trying to make out Glenn's acoustic guitar part in the HOTE version of Hotel California but there's so much other good stuff in that performance that I basically forgot to...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I think the truth is that Joe was far more important as a guitarist and musician than as a harmony singer - I think there's quite a few songs from the HC and Long Run albums where I think the harmonies are just Don H, Glenn and Randy/Tim with Joe and Don F focussed solely on their guitar parts (I'm thinking of rockers like LITFL and Those Shoes).
    I think either Glenn or Don H once said that they lost a little vocalwise when they replaced Bernie with Joe. It wasn't a slight at Joe, since they obviously gained a lot guitarwise in the rock department, which they wanted at the time. However, I have always found it ironic that the person who was brought in to "rock out" on guitar, contributed the sweetest song on the HC album and also played essential keyboard parts on the mellower songs - including his own ballad.

I know Joe harmonize with Glenn and Don on the line "but night after night. You're willing to hold her, just hold her." in New Kid IN Town. There's a few clips where Joe is singing line with Glenn and Don. Timothy doesn't come in until tears on your shoulder" line. You can hear Joe in Seven Bridges Road and I think No More Walks In The Wood too.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I saw them twice live on the HoTE tour, and I could never hear Joe singing backup/harmony, and I actually tried to pick out his voice. I think his mike is turned way down. It was always Don or Glenn on lead and Timothy and the other singing harmony, that you could hear. On some songs Steuart and the band would join in, but you never really could hear Joe. He sounded great on his leads, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    So I decided to watch the digital copy of HOTE on my Mac with the headphones on. The concert attached at the end sounded incredible. I could hear the instruments better (Joe's guitar on "Lyin' Eyes," Glenn's guitar, and Don's guitar on "Best of My Love") and the vocals (Glenn singing on "OOTN" and Felder in a couple songs). But the one thing that I couldn't and that really frustrated me was Joe's harmonies. Has anyone else had this problem? I listen hard when I see he is at the mic, but can't seem to pick out his voice.
    Joe can be heard on New Kid in Town around 1:10 when he, Randy and Don F are singing "ooooh", no? I can't hear him during the rest of it, esp. when Glen is singing. There's so much going on with that song--Glenn's vocal, Don F's guitar, Randy's beautiful background vocal throughout, it's hard (for me) to pay attention to the rest. I think I can barely hear Joe's low end on Best of My Love. He's also slightly audible on OOTN. Maybe I'm just hearing things? I'm not sure about Lyin' Eyes or Take It to the Limit.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Joe can be heard on New Kid in Town around 1:10 when he, Randy and Don F are singing "ooooh", no? I can't hear him during the rest of it, esp. when Glen is singing. There's so much going on with that song--Glenn's vocal, Don F's guitar, Randy's beautiful background vocal throughout, it's hard (for me) to pay attention to the rest. I think I can barely hear Joe's low end on Best of My Love. He's also slightly audible on OOTN. Maybe I'm just hearing things? I'm not sure about Lyin' Eyes or Take It to the Limit.
    Don H's backup harmonies on NKIT are lovely as well. They really stand out in concert.

I agree it's tough to pick out Joe's vocals. It's funny because some of his own songs have great vocals and harmonies (I think Pretty Maids All in a Row on Hell Freezes Over stands out in my mind), although I don't think of him as having a great voice, necessarily.

It's interesting to me that he is off to the side on the live version of Hole in the World on the Farewell I DVD. He may have trouble retaining his line of harmony when there are several other strong singers and harmony lines around him. Some people have that issue.

This is probably obvious to some of you, but who sings the bass line on No More Walks in the Woods? Is it Glenn? He sounds like he's doing some of the higher harmonies later in the song. If it is Glenn, he sounds completely different from usual!