Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Henley in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Don Henley Interview (1985)

Thanks for posting the interview, Nancy. I only have two of Don's albums - Inside Job and Actual Miles. Inside Job was one of the first two albums I bought last year when I was starting my born again Eagles thing, together with Hell Freezes Over. I picked IJ after reading a fulsome review on Amazon. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Don has such a great voice, but I think he was experimenting a bit too much with it, and a couple of the tracks, Working It, Inside Job, seem distinctly unmelodic. Goodbye To A River and My Thanksgiving are both fine songs and are on my Mp3 player. Everything Is Different Now, Miss Ghost and Damn It, Rose I can listen too, and They're Not Here etc is fun in it's way, with a good chorus. It's just not an album I would put in my car now. I think I would try ICSS or EOTI next. Incidentally, on Actual Miles, one of my favourites is Don's cover of Everybody Knows.

~~~

This way to happiness...

I also like My Thanksgiving, Miss Ghost (so hot), and Everything Is Different Now. I just don't find it as strong an album as his others.

~

I love You Don't Know Me At All on Actual Miles. That song is quintessential Don. I read somewhere that he said this about that song: "It is another rant against the system thinly disguised as a love song."

Out on the Border weefieryredhead's Avatar

I really enjoyed that interview. I love all of Don's solo albums for the simple fact that each of them pretty much reflect the music of the time they were recorded. I have favourite songs but an album where you like every track is such a rare thing really. Inside Job probably scores best with me for the non-skip factor but that's just my opinion

I heard "Everybody Knows" on the car radio today. The "without your clothes" line makes me snort every time!

~

Out on the Border weefieryredhead's Avatar

'without your clothes' genuinely makes me blush

Default Don Henley in the Press - Retro Edition!

Just found this while surfing a Stevie Nicks site. I was surprised to read in this that he blames the holdup of the album entirely on Glenn! (I bolded that part.) But hey, I guess this is old news now!

Don Henley
    Monday, 18 April 2005
    By Mark S. Krzos
    News-Press.com

Musician, band mates have devil of a time squelching rumors about being Satanists

Don Henley is many things — a drummer and singer for one of the most successful rock bands in history, a solo artist, environmentalist and preservationist.

The one thing Henley and his mates in The Eagles are not is Satanists. For years, the lyrics of The Eagles smash hit, "Hotel California," have been scrutinized by fans in the same way Beatles fans have pored over album covers and hidden messages about Paul McCartney's death in 1969.

Henley, who will perform as a solo act at Germain Arena on Sunday, called the speculation just the overactive imagination of fans.

According to rock 'n' roll folklore, devil worshippers bought an old church and rechristened it "The Hotel California."

Then there are the lyrics:

• "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969," which the speculation alleges is saying the spirit of Christ and the former Christian church had not been present since the Church of Satan took it over.

• "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill The Beast," a reference to Satan's immortality.

• "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave," has also been alleged to refer to hell.

There's also the album art, in which some rock fans claim to see Anton LaVey, the now-deceased leader of the Church of Satan. On the inside, it appears that LaVey is welcoming a new group of people into his church.

Henley, who just finished a slate of concerts with The Eagles, including a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden, said he's tried to quash this rumor for years and insists the song is about the greed of the music business and hedonism in 1970s Southern California. "I think this whole thing started with some right-wing evangelical group from Oklahoma," said Henley, who still finds it amusing that anyone would look for such things in a song. "We even joke about it in concerts now. 'You know, this next song was recorded during our satanic phase.' People have very active imaginations."

Henley is one to talk. His imagination remains very active. "I'm always working on new material," he said. "I'm going to try and get back in the studio soon, but it's hard because I have so many other things going on."

Henley has four solo albums to his credit, dating back to 1982's "I Can't Stand Still," which went gold thanks to the No. 3 hit "Dirty Laundry."

The multiplatinum "Building the Perfect Beast" came out two years later and established Henley as a solo star. The hits "Boys of Summer," "All She Wants to Do Is Dance," "Sunset Grill" and "Not Enough Love in the World" kept the album on the charts for more than a year.

"The End of the Innocence," released in 1989, was Henley's most successful — and most ambitious solo offering. The album, anchored by the title track and "Heart of the Matter," sold more than 6 million copies and stayed on the pop charts for three years. His long-awaited follow-up, "Inside Job" came out in 2000 and, while it reached platinum status, it failed to yield any major hits.

After a two-show stop in Florida, Henley will embark on a two-month tour with Stevie Nicks, the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and frequent Henley collaborator, in June and July.

In August, The Eagles will then head back on the road for a three-month tour. Henley said an album of new Eagles songs has been discussed.

"We may do it if we can ever get off tour," Henley said. "I'm not sure if we'll finish an album or not. It all depends on (guitarist) Glenn (Frey)." If a new album doesn't come to fruition, then that could be the end of The Eagles, Henley said.

The Eagles broke up in 1980 and spent the next 12 years fending off reunion rumors — even saying that they would reunite when "hell freezes over."

In 1994, hell must have been a chilly place because the band reunited for the Hell Freezes Over tour and has been touring on and off ever since. Spending time away from the behemoth band, which has continued to pack houses since its reunion, could be good for Henley.

"We'll have a live album coming out in a month or two that we recorded in Sydney last year," Henley said. "If we don't head back into the studio, then that could be it."

Henley owes Warner Brothers two records and already has a wealth of material. He just hasn't decided if it will be part of an Eagles package or more solo stuff.

Whatever happens with the new material, Henley isn't concerned about it not getting to fans.

Radio isn't the be-all and end-all that it once was, said Henley, referring to shrinking playlists and the lack of attention classic and modern rock stations pay to aging artists.

"It's not as frustrating as it was a few years ago," Henley said. "Radio isn't as important as it once was. People are getting their music in other ways now. Technology with satellite and Internet radio is changing the whole landscape."

Between the recording and touring, Henley, 57, remains active in a variety of environmental causes, none more important to him than the Walden Woods Project.

In 1989, Henley came across a story about two Henry David Thoreau scholars who were attempting to stop two development projects built within the birthplace of the American conservation movement.

How could this happen, Henley asked himself. He then found out only the Massachusetts pond and the woods surrounding it were protected. That left more than 2,000 acres outside the protected area ripe for development. After holding benefit concerts and raising awareness, The Walden Wood Project has protected more than 140 acres of land surrounding Walden Pond and about 65 percent of Walden Woods' 2,680 acres.

"This is our 15th year doing this and we're still raising money," Henley said. "In recent months, we purchased an old farm and another piece near the Thoreau Institute. A lot of people think this is just a New England project, but it's become a lot more than that. We now have Thoreau societies in 30 countries that are dedicated to preserving wild areas."

Now really, does that sound like a Satanist to you?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Henley Interview 2005

I prefer to read that as saying that Glenn being the band leader has and had the final say on all decisions including whether or not an album should be released. A lot of people chose to interpret it as meaning 'Glenn was holding it up'. I think this is very unfair to Glenn.

I like your interpretation better. However, as someone who certainly has no agenda against Glenn, I can say that the way it was phrased can easily lead one to believe that it meant he was holding it up.

~

That's an interesting article. I wonder why Glenn would be the one to stall on the new album? I suppose they must all be sensitive to the critics and are working to the highest level to make sure that when it does come out it is the best representation of their work.

~~~

This way to happiness...