Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Don and Stevie

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Re: Don and Stevie

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Sodascouts - Brilliant song, isn't it? I thought it fitting, too - a cowboy tune written in the '70s.

TimothyBFan - I'm one as well. I need to change my icon; it inaccurately reflects my favorite band member. Hmm. Note to self: google Timothy pics. Actually, now is a good time... Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm resurrecting this old thread because as I was searching through some old audio files to find something (never did find it), I found Don's sweet introduction of Stevie at a Walden Woods benefit in 2002:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Aww how sweet is that! "I just love her, that's all"

That IS lovely.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stevie's on Jim Ladd tonight - I'm listening live right now on KLOS - and they just gushed about Don a bit. Stevie says that she agrees with Waddy Wachtel's quote that "A bad night for Don Henley is a good night for the rest of us." Ladd said that he thought Don's phrasing was so unique that it's instantly identifiable. Stevie called his voice "amazing." They played her song "The Highwayman" and compared it to "Desperado." Lots of Don-love!

ETA: Ladd thinks Don's "Miss Ghost" is about Stevie too! He asked if her song "Ghosts Are Gone" was a response to Don!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well Stevie is right about Don's voice!

And that is very interesting about the two ghost songs. Although, I'm not buying that Don was still writing songs about Stevie in the late 90's. Especially when much of the Inside Job album is about his marriage and family. Who knows though? I guess only Don knows for sure.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's impossible to say for sure who the woman is, but we know who the woman is not: "Miss Ghost" is not his wife.

In the song, the man is turning away from the specter of a former lover - "a faded love that wasn't right." The titular "Miss Ghost" is a part of his hedonistic past, a woman he's leaving behind. He won't even have a one-night stand with her because he recognizes that it would be destructive to get drawn back into that lifestyle. (For those unfamiliar with the lyrics, you can check them out here.)

It's just as likely to be Stevie as any other of his past girlfriends; perhaps moreso, as their affair was wild, relatively short-lived, and took place during the height not only of their careers but also at the height of their drug abuse and bacchanalian excesses. By contrast, his more long-term, serious girlfriends would not necessarily be associated with that kind of lifestyle. He even considered marrying one of them. I get the impression the woman in the song is someone he hasn't been with for quite a while... not someone he broke up with a few years prior after a lengthy period of living together as de facto man and wife.

I have also considered that "Miss Ghost" might not be about one woman, but rather is a figurative embodiment of the 70s "rock star" lifestyle itself - a lifestyle dedicated to the unrestrained pursuit of sensual pleasures. His refusal of "Miss Ghost" might symbolize his determination not to return to that lifestyle, one that appears so attractive and yet turns out in the end to lead to self-destruction.... STDs, drug dependence, alcoholism, etc. On an emotional level, it also engenders traits like selfishness, egotism, and an ever-increasing insatiability coupled with ever-diminishing self-control... it's a recipe for disaster. Any attempts at a committed, monogamous relationship are inevitably crippled.

Regardless of whether "Miss Ghost" is literal or figurative (or a bit of both), it is not a love song to his wife, nor is it a song about his happy new family life. However, it can be viewed as a moment of revelation that enabled him to commit to that new life. Perhaps this song is a precursor to "Everything Is Different Now" in that sense. Thus, I believe speculating the song is about (or at least partially inspired by) Stevie does not detract from Inside Job's "marriage and family" theme at all; on the contrary, it fits in with the theme rather nicely.

And it seems Jim Ladd agrees!

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Excellent synopsis, Soda. That's how I see it as well, but I could not have been as succinct or eloquent. It must have taken great fortitude and courage of conviction to have changed lifestyles so completely, and writing about those changes would seem natural.

Thanks HH! I too admire the strength Don displayed in turning away from that lifestyle. He says that nowadays he only drinks like twice a year!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree that is an excellent analysis of the song "Miss Ghost", Soda and I would pretty much agree with just about everything you said. But, I buy more into the interpretation that "Miss Ghost" is probably the figurative embodiment of the '70's rock star lifestyle than about any one specific woman. I guess I just think it seems odd (and even a little bit "icky") that at that particular time in his life, Don would have been writing a song about any one particular woman other than his wife, no matter what the song were about.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016