Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

I didn't know the Knopfler brothers are estranged; that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I didn't know the Knopfler brothers are estranged; that's sad.
    Yes, neither one showed up, apparently.

This is a great picture of Bon Jovi at the ceremony, in front of their 80s selves.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That is a nice photo - I sent it to a Jovi-obsessed colleague.

Stuck on the Border

I could write a great deal about what happened with the Dire Straits induction. I will confine myself to this:

For the first time EVER in the hall's history, there was NOBODY to induct the band. Bassist John Illsley had to do it himself. This was an absolute disgrace; even if the hall was unhappy that neither Knopfler brother was there, they still should have provided an inductor. Were Dire Straits THAT unimportant? Did they have no influence on anyone? I am sure, if asked, Sting would have done it.

I am told they received a video tribute along with the other inductees, but I have yet to come across it.

While I am very disappointed with Mark Knopfler's attitude to this, the bottom line is (as you can see) I will forgive him pretty much anything. However, I would now say that his chances of being inducted for his solo work are now close to zero.

Meanwhile when I listen to them I still get a 'shiver in the dark' & 'stop & hold everything'. So congratulations to them & also to the Moody Blues.

I agree with you FP - I am so sorry this happened with the Dire Straits induction, it's unforgivable really.

Congratulations to Dire Straits and Moody Blues both well deserving and long overdue.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Wow. The RRHOF really embarrassed themselves with that. MK couldn't have been the first no-show. Unbelievable.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Wow. The RRHOF really embarrassed themselves with that. MK couldn't have been the first no-show. Unbelievable.

He wasn't. Paul McCartney wasn't at the Beatles' induction, Peter Gabriel wasn't at Genesis' induction, and Van Morrison....well, Van Morrison was being Van Morrison. They are the ones I know about because of being fans of those acts. All of them were inducted by other people.

Peter Cetera didn't show up for induction with Chicago either. I know I was mad about that they couldn't put their differences aside for one night and play for the fans. Oh well. I don't think Peter will ever reunite (not even for one show) with his old band.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He wasn't. Paul McCartney wasn't at the Beatles' induction, Peter Gabriel wasn't at Genesis' induction, and Van Morrison....well, Van Morrison was being Van Morrison. They are the ones I know about because of being fans of those acts. All of them were inducted by other people.
    I didn't know Paul McCartney didn't go to The Beatles' induction.

I've wondered about who they get to induct people...sometimes it is someone connected to the artist, like Glenn inducting Linda Ronstadt, or, to a lesser extent, Jimmy Buffett inducting the Eagles. But other times it seems like they give it to a random person. Why Howard Stern, to induct Bon Jovi? Why Ann Wilson to induct the Moody Blues? They had Tom Hanks induct the Dave Clark Five. Do they just pick a random famous person who is a fan?

Stuck on the Border

Apparently there was no time to read the thank you note Ray Thomas wrote before he died, or even to say a few words for him, because the Bon Jovi speeches were so long.

So thank you, John Bongiovi, for the detailed lecture about the history of your band. Your life story was, as you clearly were aware, what the evening was essentially about. Very much appreciated. S***w The Moody Blues.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-18-2018 at 03:52 PM.