The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > On the Road with the Eagles > Tour Talk

Tour Talk Discuss generalized aspects of live Eagles-related shows.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 AM   #31
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
Another reasonable way to interpret the fact that none of the guys have explicitly spoken of Glenn's wishes is that this consideration was never a factor at all in their decision-making process as to whether to perform - it was a given that they are free to perform from every angle - legal, moral, ethical, Glenn's intent. The decisions that they had to make revolved solely around whether THEY wanted to proceed under the Eagles name without him. And, their thoughts changed over time, as happens with humans.

Does anyone think that the guys believe they have been and are acting against Glenn's wishes and their tactic for dealing with this betrayal is simply to not talk about his wishes in interviews? It seems they are leaving the "Glenn would think this..." or "Glenn would think that..." type of comments to his widow.
As far as what is bolded, this is quite possible. We as fans of course cannot know what Glenn’s wishes were, we can only speculate and guess based on what we know about him from interviews, articles, videos, what others said about him, etc. (a few lucky board members met him personally so that is a factor for them as well). Glenn seems to have been a pragmatic, no-nonsense kind of guy. If Henley had passed instead, would Glenn have been consumed with worry about what Henley would have wanted? Unless Henley explicitly and plainly expressed the Eagles should disband without him, I doubt it. Glenn’s primary focus would probably be, “can we still present a high-quality show without the Golden Throat and would anyone come to see it?” I don’t think Glenn would have questioned his moral, ethical or legal right to carry on without Henley.

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #32
Dawn
Stuck on the Border

Or Glenn Frey could have simply retired the band rather than try to replace Don Henley and keep performing under the Eagles brand name.

Let's not forget. The band did not perform without Glenn Frey when he was alive yet unable or unwilling to participate.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #33
longtimeeaglesfan
Border Desperado

My guess is that Glenn would not have carried on the band if Don Henley had passed.

I agree with Delilah that it wouldn't be because of "what Henley would have wanted" but rather could they present a high quality performance.

I think Henley has a more distinct and unique voice and since he is lead vocalist on Hotel California and Desperado which seem to be consistently listed in the top three Eagles' songs, it would be harder to pull off. Take it Easy (or other Glenn songs) being performed by Deacon Frey seems a more legitimate substitute than any other outsider.

If it was the other way around and Glenn decided to continue, I, however, still would have considered them to be Eagles and would have gone to see them live. I just don't think they would have had as good of a performance of Eagles' material as they do now or certainly as they did when all the performers were present.
longtimeeaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #34
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
My guess is that Glenn would not have carried on the band if Don Henley had passed.

I agree with Delilah that it wouldn't be because of "what Henley would have wanted" but rather could they present a high quality performance.

I think Henley has a more distinct and unique voice and since he is lead vocalist on Hotel California and Desperado which seem to be consistently listed in the top three Eagles' songs, it would be harder to pull off. Take it Easy (or other Glenn songs) being performed by Deacon Frey seems a more legitimate substitute than any other outsider.

If it was the other way around and Glenn decided to continue, I, however, still would have considered them to be Eagles and would have gone to see them live. I just don't think they would have had as good of a performance of Eagles' material as they do now or certainly as they did when all the performers were present.
I agree completely with this assessment. I think the band had more clear and easier fitting replacements for Glenn than Don. I think that if Will could sing and if Glenn knew Don wanted him to be a part of the band at some point, Glenn would do something with Will. But this is all speculation I suppose
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #35
Dawn
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
I agree completely with this assessment. I think the band had more clear and easier fitting replacements for Glenn than Don. I think that if Will could sing and if Glenn knew Don wanted him to be a part of the band at some point, Glenn would do something with Will. But this is all speculation I suppose
I completely disagree. Once upon a time Glenn Frey was irreplaceable too until he wasn't.

The way it looks to me is Henley got lucky with Deacon Frey who sounds nothing like his dad but that was never the selling point.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #36
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I completely disagree. Once upon a time Glenn Frey was irreplaceable too until he wasn't.

The way it looks to me is Henley got lucky with Deacon Frey who sounds nothing like his dad but that was never the selling point.
I think the band would lose without Glenn than they would without Don but it’s just that Glenn has a son who sings pretty good. That just in my mind just indicates Glenn would be replaced easier than don would. But it has no indication on who was more important
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #37
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
I don’t really agree with this. In the 70s Glenn wanted to rock out more, that is true and arena rock was where the $$ was, but the band’s country hits were sung by him.

By the early 90s, he seemed to have a change of heart. He contemplated recording a country album and co-wrote a country song that was a hit for George Strait. His new contribution to HFO was a country tune, The Girl From Yesterday. The Eagles’ last studio album which appears he spear-headed was country-tinged and one of the tracks “How Long” won a Grammy for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group.

Remember the 70s is not the 90s or 2000s and none of the band members were frozen in time, locked into the same mindset they were in during their 20s for the rest of their lives.

At any rate, the current line-up is still rocking out with tunes like HC, Those Shoes and VOL, and Joe’s rockers continue to be a strong part of the setlist. I see nothing to indicate Glenn would be disappointed by it.

As far as Deacon goes, there was a time when young people exercised poor judgment and made dumb mistakes and it wasn’t broadcast all over social media for strangers to grouse about. In some ways he and his peers have it worse than their parents b/c they have to be mindful that their every move is being scrutinized and judged to a tee in this outrage culture we live in.
Okay, maybe you are right! Maybe I did jump too quickly to conclusions. Now that you mention it, it is true that Glenn indeed went pretty country.

But I still do not feel that they are rocking as much as before. Only half of the setlist are rockers. Compared to before, there are a good amount of ballads and country tinged songs, particularly with Vince Gill being there. I personally feel for example, Take It Easy went back to country with Vince Gill's safe playing. Though I will admit, if Felder was there, many songs would be way more rocking. And also, I will admit I like the inclusion of Victim of Love.

And about Deacon, yeah it's really true that this generation is the generation of outrage. Imagine if the HC era Eagles were that famous today! They'd be tarnished due to the 3e parties and drugs. Parents would probably give some extreme shade in their VEVO music video!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #38
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

I definitely don't agree with this assessment that Don Henley is somehow harder to replace than Glenn Frey. Glenn was a much better singer to my ears than Don ever was. Still, I do NOT agree that Glenn would be easier to replace. Glenn had every bit as much a unique and great voice as Don did. I prefer Glenn's voice.

They are equally replaceable or irreplaceable, depending on how you look at it. There is nothing that makes one less replaceable than the other.

For my money's worth, Glenn was just as important if not more important to the Eagles as/than Don. Obviously if you are a Don fan your opinion will be the opposite of mine and that's fine. But Glenn is not replaceable. Or Don is just as replaceable as Glenn, however you want to look at it. But they are equal.

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

"People don't run out of dreams - people just run out of time."

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #39
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
Okay, maybe you are right! Maybe I did jump too quickly to conclusions. Now that you mention it, it is true that Glenn indeed went pretty country.

But I still do not feel that they are rocking as much as before. Only half of the setlist are rockers. Compared to before, there are a good amount of ballads and country tinged songs, particularly with Vince Gill being there. I personally feel for example, Take It Easy went back to country with Vince Gill's safe playing. Though I will admit, if Felder was there, many songs would be way more rocking. And also, I will admit I like the inclusion of Victim of Love.

And about Deacon, yeah it's really true that this generation is the generation of outrage. Imagine if the HC era Eagles were that famous today! They'd be tarnished due to the 3e parties and drugs. Parents would probably give some extreme shade in their VEVO music video!
I agree with you cosec on your original post.

Glenn wanted to rock and drop the twangy stuff. Sure, he had some country tinged stuff later on but the Eagles are a ROCK band. They are so much better as a rock band than a country/country-rock outfit. A real guitar driven rock n' roll band. When they got rid of Bernie and got Walsh in there with Felder it was apparent and at times it even bordered on real hard rock. Same with getting rid of Glyn and getting Bill as producer. They wanted to rock, and other than maybe TGFY from HFO, they kept with their rock traditions as the years went on.

I'm glad the Eagles made this change. I cannot stand traditional/classic country. They really shine as a classic rock band and they were smart to move onto classic AOR rock. I wouldn't be a fan otherwise. The smooth country sound with harmony vocals is not what I signed up for, lol. I want LITFL. I want AG. You get the idea.

To me the addition of Vince Gill and him trying to inject his country crooner ways to make them better in his mind is nauseating to me, and I'll leave it at that.

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

"People don't run out of dreams - people just run out of time."

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #40
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
If it was the other way around and Glenn decided to continue, I, however, still would have considered them to be Eagles and would have gone to see them live.
Same here.

Quote:

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. I agree with you about Felder. The band lost his stage presence and much of its rock vibe when he left. Now there’s an almost nameless anonymous lead guitarist in his place who is very good but not very exciting. Not to mention Steuart Smith comes from a country background himself.

Quote:
LOL. So much has changed.

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote