Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Re: Movies

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    Did you really like it? I thought it was the most depressing movie I've ever seen! I guess that goes to show what good actors they are. I really hated it. Isn't it funny how two people can see the same movie and have such opposite feelings about it?
    I will agree that it was depressing but I guess I like the acting between Leo and Kate and how well they pulled it off. I again will agree not a happy movie but it touched on how matters were handled back in the 50's. "For goodness sakes little lady don't speak your mind or how you feel just buck up and be a good little wife". I often wonder how many women went through that very thing because they were afraid to tell their husbands how they felt. She was trapped and couldn't get out.

They do act well together. I have to be fair and say that, while I love Kate Winslett, I cannot stand Leo Dicaprio. Maybe that colored my attitude towards this movie a little. And I will agree that attitudes of husbands towards wives have certainly changed since then! Although, I will say that not all married couples were that way, it definitely was more acceptable to behave that way towards your wife.

Just watched The Book Thief on HBO. What a powerful movie. Has anyone else seen it?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

No, Robert Redford! Not a comedy! Just saw the preview for A Walk in the Woods. I enjoy comedy as well, but this seems beneath him. He is one of my favorites. Nathan Muir in Spy Game was a perfect character for him. Great movie.

Soda, I've seen the film on HBO, too, and enjoyed it immensely. I like the portrayal of a young German girl as a figure of resistance in Nazi Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I often wonder how many women went through that very thing because they were afraid to tell their husbands how they felt. She was trapped and couldn't get out.
    DJ, not to get too OT, but their experiences were the inspiration for The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. She and that book are credited with starting Second Wave Feminism in the '60s.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

I LOVE film! Here are some of my favorites..

-Harry and Tonto
    -Nashville
    -They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
    -La Strada
    -Birdman of Alcatraz
    -Network
    -One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    -There Will Be Blood
    -The Battle of Algiers
    -The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I LOVE film! Here are some of my favorites..

-Harry and Tonto
    -Nashville
    -They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
    -La Strada
    -Birdman of Alcatraz
    -Network
    -One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    -There Will Be Blood
    -The Battle of Algiers
    -The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a great one!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

As I said a few days ago, in the "What are you doing now?" thread, Smokey and the Bandit is my favorite movie. Gettysburg is a very close second. (I'm a huge Civil War buff thanks to my dad)

I don't pay attention much to new movie releases because I never go see them in theaters, and by the time of the dvd/bluray release, I've usually forgotten about them. . I'm only anticipating the release of 2 movies. One is Inferno (Dan Brown's book. Author of the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. It's the next book in the series.) I love both the books and the movies. The other is the next Sherlock Holmes film. I love the first 2, especially with the smart aleck sense of humor. I've read a few of the canon short stories of Sherlock Holmes, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I kind of like Robert Downey Jr's version of Holmes more.

If anyone wants a newer (came out last year) movie to watch, I recommend another Downey Jr film, The Judge. It's a brilliant tale of an old small town hick-like judge (Robert Duvall) who has stage 4 lung cancer, but he doesn't tell anyone. His wife dies and his estranged son (Robert Downey Jr), who is a big city defense lawyer, comes to join the family to pay his final respects. During his stay, the judge accidentally hits an old enemy of his with car and kills him. However, due to the chemo treatment for the cancer, he doesn't remember anything. The judge hires a public lawyer to defend him, but he's a complete novice with no previous experience. Eventually, the judge agrees to let his son defend him, and what follows is a movie that had me on edge and at the end, wiping a tear from my eye. Oh, as a bonus Billy Bob Throton is the DA.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

AG, sounds good! I may have to watch it!

I don't watch many movies either. Mainly because my hubby is very picky about what kind of movie it is (he will only watch action/adventure or thriller types) and, especially in summer, my Cardinals are on. The last week I was off on vacation, I told myself I was going to watch some movies. I did watch a couple, but they turned out to not be that great. When I finally get time to watch one, I can't find a good one to watch.

I even subscribed to Netflix for a couple months and never could find anything I thought really good to watch, so I canceled.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    AG, sounds good! I may have to watch it!

I don't watch many movies either. Mainly because my hubby is very picky about what kind of movie it is (he will only watch action/adventure or thriller types) and, especially in summer, my Cardinals are on. The last week I was off on vacation, I told myself I was going to watch some movies. I did watch a couple, but they turned out to not be that great. When I finally get time to watch one, I can't find a good one to watch.

I even subscribed to Netflix for a couple months and never could find anything I thought really good to watch, so I canceled.
    That sucks Brooke. I only discovered The Judge because my uncle recorded it off of the tv, and told me that I needed to watch it. (He knows my likes and dislikes very well when it comes to music and movies.) He's the only one that I watch movies with. My mom likes mostly childhood age movies(Disney and the like). I like them too, but I also love action/thriller/comedy/drama/horror, anything but romantic movies!

I have to buy the movies I want to watch because my data limit is too low to stream movies. I have probably close to 250 vhs/dvds/blurays that I can watch anytime I want to. It's just deciding what to watch!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time