Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley comments on the Eagles and Frank Ocean - lawsuit threatened

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Ironically, in order to allow their readers to compare "American Wedding" to "Hotel California", these major news sites are linking to someone's unsanctioned upload of the original "Hotel California" on YouTube.... which Henley also considers a violation of copyright.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

More press:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=708639

After Eagles lead singer Don Henley allegedly reached out to Ocean earlier this week and threatened a lawsuit, Ocean fired back on his Tumblr. "He (They) threatened to sue if I perform it again. I think that's f---in' awesome. I guess if I play it at Coachella it'll cost me a couple hundred racks ... They also asked that I release a statement expressing my admiration for Mr. Henley, along with my assistance pulling it off the web as much as possible." Ocean insisted that he was paying homage to the Eagles and noted that he released "Nostalgia, Ultra" for free online.
    How dumb is this guy?! He thinks it's awesome they are going to sue him? Sounds like he's got one or two screws loose! I hope Henley and the Eagles clean him out (sue to the maximum amount).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Frank Ocean has more than a COUPLE screws loose. Everyone knows you simply don't mess with Don Henley -- it's a no-win situation that has nothing to do with how much money he has. It's about his passion for what's right or wrong. And to so blatantly use "HC" is just plain WRONG. I guess the question is whether he tried to pass it off as original? THAT would constitute plagiarism and we all know Henley would win that in court with both hands tied behind his back and his mouth taped shut.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    Henley would win that in court with both hands tied behind his back and his mouth taped shut.
    Haha That bit just brought a big silly grin to my face......I can just visualise him - the eyes alone would do it!
    Last edited by tequila girl; 03-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

It was on my MSM homepage last night, but this article didn't include a link to listen to HC, just 'american wedding'. It didn't say anything new or different, but it's getting more attention.

It's a tough spot to be in, to be the bad guy and go to court and sue the new guy. I can't believe Ocean is this brainless, and I can't believe he's put anyone, let alone the Eagles in this sort of position. But if they don't put a stop to it, then the guy'll just do it again with Stairway To Heaven or something.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well everyone knows it's not cool to copy someone else's music. Like I said yesterday - Frank Ocean was inviting trouble as far as I'm concerned - I mean c'mon this isn't rocket science. As HH said - it may have been a publicity stunt.

In any event, I didn't have time to read all the comments on all these articles because there are a LOT of them. In scanning them, it seems the overwhelming majority of them favor the band. Also, in the link that VOL posted yesterday, there is a poll for folks to vote on it. Right now, the vote is 94.1% in favor of the Eagles. Here's that link again for those who want to take a look ...

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...tel-california

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    It was on my MSM homepage last night, but this article didn't include a link to listen to HC, just 'american wedding'.
    That appears to be exception rather than the rule, if the links provided in this thread are any indication.

At any rate, Ocean's comment that it is "awesome" to be threatened with a lawsuit is just bravado, in my opinion, and perhaps an attempt to propagate the "tough rebel who doesn't care about the establishment but is being persecuted by the man" image.

In reality, he must know that if he loses a lawsuit, it will not just result in a fine of "a couple hundred [thousand dollars]"; he will be ordered by the court to stop performing the song. Defying such an order constitutes contempt of court, which can land Mr. Ocean in jail.

If Ocean didn't know this when he made his comment, surely the people at his new label, Def Jam, have enlightened him by this point. I imagine that despite all of this noise, Ocean will back down before too long.

Don Henley is not perfect and thus I cringe at the notion that "no one can mess with Don Henley" as it implies he has no problem using his wealth and power to crush anyone who disagrees with him. I would hope Henley is not that kind of person. In this case, though, I think it is rather apparent that Ocean has no ground upon which to stand.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this incident got the kind of attention it did. Warner Brothers sends out those kind of threats all the time, and Henley does not hesitate to send Cease and Desist orders regardless of the intent of those involved (although in this case, the threat of a lawsuit was not at his behest). Rappers who have sampled songs without permission have gotten this kind of heat before as well, and as Solters points out, Ocean goes further than sampling. What's newsworthy here?

However, for those of you saying that the publicity this has garnered is bad for Ocean because most people don't agree with his stance... that's not necessarily true. What's important is not how 94% of America feels about it. What's important is what Ocean's target audience / potential market feels about it. I have a feeling their response to his "defiance" is far more positive.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Originally posted by Sodascout
    Don Henley is not perfect and thus I cringe at the notion that "no one can mess with Don Henley" as it implies he has no problem using his wealth and power to crush anyone who disagrees with him. I would hope Henley is not that kind of person. In this case, though, I think it is rather apparent that Ocean has no ground upon which to stand.
    Just to clarify: I was in no was implying that Don would ever use his wealth or power to resolve this situation. I was speaking of his being passionately outspoken on matters dear to his heart - and in the best interest of artists everywhere. Based on several articles I've seen on this issue, there are conflicting reports as to whether Don has actually had any contact with Ocean (although I could conjur up an image of Don phoning Ocean and saying, "Hey, you've got to cease and desist, man. And while you're at it, you owe me a public apology.")

As far as the legal aspect is concerned, a copyright protetcts the artist and gives them exclusive right to their work 'for the life of the author plus 50 years'. Since Don is alive and kicking, Ocean has a responsibility to obtain approval, and I don't think any of us see that as a viable outcome.

I suspect the legal powers at Def Jam are cringing at momentum this thing is gaining. Ocean might want to rethink all of the comments he's making. Bigger stars have surely been dropped by labels for not knowing when to keep their mouth shut. What is it Don sings? Oh, yes....I will not go quietly. Apparently Frank Ocean hasn't gotten the memo yet.
    Last edited by Victim of Love; 03-05-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Victim of Love

It's a pretty cheap shot to throw Don Henley's name around... The music was written by Felder, the lyrics by Frey/Henley jointly, and it was performed by the Eagles as a group - and yet only Henley gets mentioned as objecting? Really?.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Good point, Kiwi! I think the reason Don is the one getting the mention here is because he has always been assumed to be the 'head honcho' and, as such, always ends up being the go-to guy in situations such as this. It would be interesting to hear from the other camps.

Victim of Love