Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Don Henley appears on Jackson Browne tribute album - listen to him do "These Days"!

Default Re: Don Henley appears on Jackson Browne tribute album - listen to him do "These Days

I am really enjoying this CD set. Admittedly, some of the songs are lacking when compared with JB, but the songs are so enduring, it is a pleasure to listen to them in a new version.

Out on the Border Restless Heart's Avatar

Default Re: Don Henley appears on Jackson Browne tribute album - listen to him do "These Days

Wow, I feel out of it. I didn't even know about this. I'm going to find it on iTunes.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well there you go, RH. We've helped you out already. Enjoy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I enjoyed Don's version of These Days, although it's not my fave on the album. I'll have to listen to it several more times to determine that. My problem is that I am not familiar with most of these artists, and so when I'm listening as I'm getting ready for work in the morning I don't know who is singing. I will familiarize myself with it more and post then. But I'd really like to hear others' thoughts.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Honestly, I find it pretty disappointing. There's only a few of them I enjoy. ROE was particularly bad - it's drained of energy and leaving out the line "I don't know about anyone but me" also detracts from the song. I'm like "Really? You're going to mess around with his lyrics?!"

I've already put the CD on the shelf.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I actually liked this version of ROE - not as much as the original, by any means, but I appreciated the very different, toned down version more than I thought I would. The ones I'm not too keen on are the ones where the artist did nothing different with the song, the melody, the phrasing...nothing. Take Fountain of Sorrow, for instance. I found that version very mundane, because the artist did nothing to make the song their own. But, that being said, one of my least favorites is Looking Into You, in which the artist changed it up so much that it is hardly recognizable. Fortunately for me, one of my favorites on the album happens to be my favorite JB song, For Everyman. I thought the artist did a good job making the song his own, yet not veering too far from the original. He even kept the drum crescendos in, which I love.

Again, I apologize for not knowing the names of the artists. I would get up and get my cd, but I have a cat sleeping on my lap.
    ~ Cathy ~

Agree about Looking Into You. I love that song and the verison on the tribute was
    ~Sara

I wasn't sure where to post this - but I'm only reading 'To the limit' now and it mentioned that Don sang vocals on 'Late for the sky' album with Jackson Browne.

I've listened to it at least 30 times in the last few days mainly because it is a class song and also because the harmonies are just mesmerizing especially when they sing the 'How long have I been sleeping' verse.

My question is - Is that Don singing on the song Late for the sky? I think it is because his voice stands out from the others and just matches Jackson's voice perfectly. Do anyone else think so too ??

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this - but I'm only reading 'To the limit' now and it mentioned that Don sang vocals on 'Late for the sky' album with Jackson Browne.

I've listened to it at least 30 times in the last few days mainly because it is a class song and also because the harmonies are just mesmerizing especially when they sing the 'How long have I been sleeping' verse.

My question is - Is that Don singing on the song Late for the sky? I think it is because his voice stands out from the others and just matches Jackson's voice perfectly. Do anyone else think so too ??
    According to this, Don sings on the song, The Late Show.

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/20...ackson-browne/

I'll be the first one to admit that I have a hard time hearing individual backing vocals in most songs, but I will agree with you that Late For the Sky is a class song, like so many of Jackson's songs are.
    ~ Cathy ~

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    According to this, Don sings on the song, The Late Show.

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/20...ackson-browne/

I'll be the first one to admit that I have a hard time hearing individual backing vocals in most songs, but I will agree with you that Late For the Sky is a class song, like so many of Jackson's songs are.
    Thanks for the info Prettymaid - Just listened to The Late Show - thats a good song as well. Even if its not DH on Late for the sky - I still love it!!

Just have to listen to the rest of Jackson's songs now - when I was growing up my older brothers (10 and 12 yrs older than me) used to listen to him all the time and I thought he was boring but thankfully my musical tastes have changed a bit now !