Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15, 2017

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15, 2017

I'm sure those who were there enjoyed the show, and that's the main thing. There are certain Glenn songs I can imagine someone else singing. Then there are songs that IMHO are so "Glenn" that it's almost painful to listen to somebody else sing them - certainly under the name "Eagles". Lyin' Eyes is one of them. You can give it a perfect country interpretation, but it's nothing special. (Glenn wasn't a traditional country singer.)

I would have preferred more Deacon and less Vince, because IMO they couldn't convincingly fill the gap left by Glenn musically, but they could sort of fill it emotionally with Deacon. Incidentally, I love Deacon's mid-70's Glenn look with those sunglasses.

But I'm glad for the people who were there and enjoyed a show. I don't feel that something sacrilegious was done. Glenn's legacy still remains.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    My favorite picture of my two favorite guys. I never thought in a million years I would see my favorite country singer singing with my favorite group let along in the group with them.

Great picture!

Stuck on the Border

I felt that it very much a "belt and braces" approach to the show. They had far more musicians and talent on stage than they needed but it meant that they had backup for everything. Deacon was untested in front of a huge audience. He might have dried up but if he had, there would have been someone to step in or support his vocals. Just knowing that support was there probably helped keep the nerves down - not that he showed any sign of nerves. I was impressed at how comfortable he looked.

How many violinists did they have? I counted either four or six.

What was the instrument that was used for the intro to HC and who played it? I thought that was an interesting touch.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm sure those who were there enjoyed the show, and that's the main thing. There are certain Glenn songs I can imagine someone else singing. Then there are songs that IMHO are so "Glenn" that it's almost painful to listen to somebody else sing them - certainly under the name "Eagles". Lyin' Eyes is one of them. You can give it a perfect country interpretation, but it's nothing special. (Glenn wasn't a traditional country singer.)

I would have preferred more Deacon and less Vince, because IMO they couldn't convincingly fill the gap left by Glenn musically, but they could sort of fill it emotionally with Deacon. Incidentally, I love Deacon's mid-70's Glenn look with those sunglasses.

But I'm glad for the people who were there and enjoyed a show. I don't feel that something sacrilegious was done. Glenn's legacy still remains.
    I haven't seen a video of New Kid in Town posted yet but I think that's one I don't care to watch. Nothing against Vince. I would have preferred more Deacon on vocal and more Vince on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    What was the instrument that was used for the intro to HC and who played it? I thought that was an interesting touch.
    It sounds like a Mexican trumpet to me. I'd like to know who played it as well.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Chaim - Well said. I too think there are only songs that Glenn could do and LE and NKIT are two of them.
    I know Vince is a great singer and musician but I personally did not care for his version of LE.

UTW - I don't know about Vince being Deacon's Godfather. I would have thought that honor would have gone to his two brothers to be Taylor's and Deacon's GF. But who knows.

Here's New Kid In town

http://youtu.be/k4m7qjGJlPc

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    It sounds like a Mexican trumpet to me. I'd like to know who played it as well.
    Sounds identical to the prelude to Hotel California when they employed the Mighty Horns. Perhaps they reemployed some of their services? Al Garth (?) played violin with them for years and Billy Armstrong / his replacement played the trumpet prelude IIRC.

Border Troubadour

Looking at the videos, it appears as though Richard Davis isn't back with them (though Will, Scott and Michael are).

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Looking at the videos, it appears as though Richard Davis isn't back with them (though Will, Scott and Michael are).
    Yep. Technically they didn't leave since they became Don's band full time since the Eagles were no more in 2016 before they changed their minds. Will and Michael were part of Don's solo band before they became the Eagles backing band in 2001(Scott had played in Don's band during the 90s, but not during his Inside Job tour) when the guys started back touring. Only Lance, Chris, Laura and Lilly weren't there.

Except Richard, everybody from the backing band was back. I think the horn section are probably from Don's solo band.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 07-16-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley