Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flood Watch 2008

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Here's a picture taken yesterday of the western part of the Quincy Memorial Bridge which takes us from Missouri to Illinois. The water has gone down a bit since yesterday, because this is the one that Al Roker was walking through water on this morning. It's so low that it floods during exceptionally high water and has to be closed. I drove across it Saturday. They are saying now that the crest may have already occurred.

Thankfully, the new bridge is higher and was changed to take traffic both ways when this one closed. There are lots of businesses along the highway on the Missouri side and most have moved out in case the levee breaks as they would be flooded.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's a scary sight, Brooke. I hope they are right and that the worst is over.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Scary indeed! I hope everyone remains safe and that those critical days pass without incident.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

We've had some flooding in Cape Town over the last week. Due to some of the worst winter weather we've had in years, i.e. continuous heavy rain since last Thursday, 16,000 people have been displaced from their flooded homes. Most of these people are living in already dire circumstances in the poorer parts of town, for example in shacks.

I feel sorry and also angry when I read these reports. The government promises year in and year out to help to eradicate poverty, and yet the same people are affected year in and year out when the winter weather is severe.

So much money is wasted in this country. Much is being made of Mr Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday, which is all well and good, but how much money is being spent on birthday celebrations that can be put to better use? Perhaps, if he had been president for a longer term, some of the poverty would have been eradicated by now.

Rant over.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Here's a picture taken yesterday of the western part of the Quincy Memorial Bridge which takes us from Missouri to Illinois. The water has gone down a bit since yesterday, because this is the one that Al Roker was walking through water on this morning. It's so low that it floods during exceptionally high water and has to be closed. I drove across it Saturday. They are saying now that the crest may have already occurred.

Thankfully, the new bridge is higher and was changed to take traffic both ways when this one closed. There are lots of businesses along the highway on the Missouri side and most have moved out in case the levee breaks as they would be flooded.
    Omg, that's scary!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    We've had some flooding in Cape Town over the last week. Due to some of the worst winter weather we've had in years, i.e. continuous heavy rain since last Thursday, 16,000 people have been displaced from their flooded homes. Most of these people are living in already dire circumstances in the poorer parts of town, for example in shacks.
    WOW..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I feel sorry and also angry when I read these reports. The government promises year in and year out to help to eradicate poverty, and yet the same people are affected year in and year out when the winter weather is severe.
    Me too, they are saying anything but they do nothing.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

It looks like our area has survived the flooding. There were some tense moments, but our 2 area levees held. Lots of cleanup going on now and the mighty Mississippi is going down every day.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

MF - so sorry to hear about the floods. What a disaster!

Brooke, I'm glad the levees held at least.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

MF, I'm sad to hear about the terrible flooding in Capetown. I never thought of it as a rainy place. Those poor people.

Brooke, I'm glad to hear that your area survived.

We've had dreadful weather for the last week - 2 inches of rain yesterday - and this is summer. Several rivers are on floodwatch.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Brooke, I'm happy that your area survived!!

It was lovely weather this week..only it's rainin' now (gosh..I hate the Netherlands), and that's very usual for this little tiny cold and wet country..but still..it's everything exept fun