Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BOBBYBOY

Troll

Default Re: EAGLES TOUR

Well Im sorry to see you think Im some kind of a wack job but I stand by my position.. If someone posts to me that the eagles are going to charge big bucks, so they can screw fans with some 90 minute concert, I will respond to that posting by saying... I have more confidence in them than you because I don't think they would that.. No it does not make me a bigger fan ,just maybe a fan that believes in their integrity to their fans a bit more... AND if that makes me a wackjob for saying so in your mind, or if you lack the ability to handle opinion, than maybe its better not responding to my posts.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Honestly, I'm not even sure I understand your posts. I think that if THREE acts are playing, yes high ticket price would be normal. I don't think that means the Eagles are screwing anyone.

As far as the DC's are concerned... many have commented on their dislike of this lineup... so I'm not understanding what you are saying about that either?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

ltlh-you and I are not the minority here. Seems to be the general consensus. Sometimes you just gotta let it ride....
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

Default Re: BOBBYBOY

I love threads where the 'topic' isn't the topic at all. I think I know what bobbyboy is really asking about... and I know what people are really responding to...

maybe sometime we can talk about the complication of loving music that is a reflection of the artists political and moral beliefs but that are in conflict to our own day to day political and moral beliefs. When do we react by throwing away their art because we find them too repugnant and when do we contextualize differently so we can continue to enjoy the music?

Some would boycott the dixie chicks for expressing their political views in a public venue (but, I am told this matters, in a foreign country) and for doing that, they are forever despised and dismissed.

Others would boycott Cat Stephens for a few years for offering a bounty on Salman Rushdie's life (supporting the radical islamic initiative to have Rushdie killed for his book about Islam) but, after awhile and even though Stevens never recanted, he's kind of okay again and all is kind of forgotten.

For the record, I think both things were largely the creation of people who wanted to whip the masses into a frenzy to support one side or the other and materially neither were particularly important nor symbolic (for me)...

Being older than lots of board members and having lived through different times, I've heard much more violent rhetoric from artists on both sides and nobody cared.

Several of the Eagles have very staunch political opinions which are clearly (having read lots of posts here and also knowing the makeup of our country politically) counter to what we might individually support.

Most, if not all, of the Eagles lean left. It is a matter of public record. In their early years, they tried to stay out of political commentary and took a beating in the press for not standing for something. Later, when members have been outspoken, they have taken a beating for that....

The Chicks have ties to some Eagles that go way back... their relationship isn't a new one....

but the general topic of 'at what point do the politics of artists make you turn away from them? What are the metrics of that decision?' become interesting to consider....

I've not ever stopped enjoying music nor art from artists whose politics differed from mine. I separate the art from the artist completely... but some don't... I think that is what this thread really ends up being about that.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    I love threads where the 'topic' isn't the topic at all.
    Which is why I told Bobbyboy he should actually read the forum before making uninformed generalizations about our members. The topic of the Dixie Chicks, their politics, their relationship with the Eagles, whether or not the Eagles' set will be shortened, etc., is all being discussed here - a discussion which is now at 13 pages:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2342

In light of the discussion in that thread, his declaration in this thread that none of our members disliked the pairing was particularly amusing.

Bender, perhaps you would like to add your thoughts to that thread as well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Which is why I told Bobbyboy he should actually read the forum before making uninformed generalizations about our members. The topic of the Dixie Chicks, their politics, their relationship with the Eagles, whether or not the Eagles' set will be shortened, etc., is all being discussed here - a discussion which is now at 13 pages:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2342

In light of the discussion in that thread, his declaration in this thread that none of our members openly objected to the pairing was particularly amusing.

Bender, perhaps you would like to add your thoughts to that thread as well.
    soda, we are in agreement... I think the whole thing for that poster is to try to bait people into a position where he can "win"....

'Winning' on the internet is something that is just not possible and people who try are just showing a level of vanity that is, well, pathetic.

I don't know if there are statistics, but I've spent most of my life in the 'creative' community (artists, musicians, painters, intellectuals etc) in my experience, that community leans left (considerably)... there are exceptions, but I think that holds to be true....

so, it is 'easier' for liberal folks to 'connect' with artists who they share core political visions with. It doesn't mean that right leaning folks can't love lefty artists, but when the artists reflect their beliefs in their art, it can make it complicated.

What I think is lost in the current debate (the larger national battle that has gotten so incredibly ugly and stupid that it is shameful for all sides) is that we have completely lost the core that makes us great. TRUST.

We used to be able to disagree mightily about how we would make our nation and the world better, we'd debate, we'd vote and we'd accept the result and then work cooperatively showing faith and respect in each other that even though we disagreed, we'd try it the way that was prevailing.

My stepfather and I used to have very loud and very passionate debates about politics and then go fishing and happily end the day with a great dinner and a long hike.

We've lost that. We are now willing to do the most shameful things to each other and make up lies or create controversy where none exist. Both sides do it and they are both wrong for doing it. Who pays? In the end, if winning is the sole goal... we all lose. We will lose what was worth having which is spirited and thoughtful debate and we'll devolve into children on the playground threatening lawsuits, calling each other fat or ugly and taking cheap shots when no one is looking...

Did I think the Dixie Chicks showed good judgement in their off hand comments at a concert in England? No, because they didn't explain the purpose or reasoning behind their position. Had it been me, I probably would not have chosen that path.

Was the reaction completely fabricated, distorted and turned in to a rallying cry rather than a thoughtful response? Yes. People were exploited who never knew the facts of the event.

I am in favor of people who have thoughtful, considered, informed beliefs.
    I enjoy sharing information and learning perspectives that I had not considered....

I don't feel superior because of the positions I hold, but I am frequently interested in how folks arrive at the stance that they espouse...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! Bender, you are SO eloquent! And I tip my hat to your analysis. I've always been a firm believer that it's important to hear the opinions and viewpoints of others and carefully consider the qualifications that back 'em up. What I strongly object to is someone gluing themself to the soapbox and using a battering ram to cram something down my throat! I found those posts to be largely rambing, pointless, and with no purpose other than for Bobbyboy to feel as if he were the supreme authority. To each his own and I welcome a fair, two-sided discussion/debate anyday -- but Bobby can find someone else's circle to impose on because he isn't welcome in mine. I've known aa few egomaniacs in my life and I find them boring and tedious because of their gradiose opinions of themselves. Personally I think if the old boy would shut and really listen to what others are saying, he may actually learn something useful...and I'm talking in the broadest sense, no just The Border.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Very well said, Bender & Cynd!!!

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

The main reason that I like this board over others is because while we may not agree on every subject, everyone respects the other people on here enough not to get personal. Our freedom of speech is something to guard and protect but I think with our freedom of speech come a responsibility to not cut another person so deep that we draw blood or start a feud that will cause members to leave. Members have made friends on this board that will last a lifetime.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post

The Chicks have ties to some Eagles that go way back... their relationship isn't a new one....
    And now I would like to hear more on this please.......
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten