Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tornadoes in Oklahoma

Default Re: Tornadoes in Oklahoma

I'm just now reading this thread and it honestly give me chills just thinking of that terrible day. I never thought anything could surpass the tornado that hit in almost the same path on May 3, 1999. In Oklahoma, just say May 3rd and everybody knows exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, May 20, 2013 is the new May 3rd. I've driven by the destruction many times since it happened and seeing it with your own eyes is very different than seeing it on tv and in pictures. The first time I drove through Moore after it happened I couldn't help but cry. The devastation of that tornado is unbelievable. All of the media and camera crews were gone after about 3 weeks but even over a month later there is still heavy traffic on I-35 from people slowing down to look at the damage. Honestly, the damage you can see from I-35 is horrible but it's nothing compared to the neighborhoods that were completely wiped out. So many people lost everything. At work, I've dealt to several people who've been directly affected and each person's story has been very sad, heartfelt and touching. One guy said this was the third time his house was hit. He lost his home in the May 3, 1999 tornado. He rebuilt and then his roof was blown off by the tornado in 2003 and he's now lost his home completely in the May 20th tornado. He said 3 times was enough and he's made the decision to move out of Moore.

I was at home getting ready for work when the storm started and watched the entire thing form and grow bigger and bigger. It looked bad just watching it but I didn't start to get scared until the weatherman said "Folks, this looks like a May 3rd situation." He wasn't kidding.

One thing I'm grateful for is that I didn't move to Moore last year. I had the opportunity to move into a friend's home that he was renting out but (thankfully) things didn't work out. The home I was going to move into was in the direct path of the tornado. On tv the weatherman kept saying "Direct hit to the Warren Theater". When looking out of the backyard of that house you can see the Warren Theater right across Interstate 35. There was damage to that house (roof and windows) but the scary thing is that it was only 5 houses away from being completely destroyed. The first thing my mom said to me when she called to check on me that day was "I'm so glad you didn't move into that house." I'm so thankful and glad too. Had I moved there, I would've been home and getting ready for work.

One last thing, although I wasn't directly affected by the torndao I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to all that helped by donating. Your donation goes a long way into the recovery efforts. It's gonna be a long time for this community to rebuild and get back on it's feet but every little bit helps so thank you.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

so glad you are safe

We were in the basement May 19 and are still dealing with a TON of house work. Roof, gutters, paint, windows, air conditioning and god knows what else. Not to mention car damage.

Bottom line, no one was injured.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I just realized I have never had a chance to read and reply to this thread. This is such a tragedy the way these people in Oklahoma have been hit by tornadoes this year (and other areas as well). Jess' post is very moving and really brings it home when you hear from someone that actually lives there. So even though I'm late in responding, I know it's really not too late to say a prayer for the victims - it will take many years for these communities to rebuild and my heart goes out to all of them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016