View Poll Results: Should Don be inducted into the RnR HoF?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 88.89%
  • No

0 0%
  • Don’t know/undecided

2 11.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Default Re: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

I definitely feel like Glenn's solo career ranks right up there with Don's, so I'd say if they are going to do one they need to do the other. To me they were equal.

Joe's solo career was big too. People might not know Funk 49 or Walk Away but I don't know anybody who doesn't know Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I definitely feel like Glenn's solo career ranks right up there with Don's, so I'd say if they are going to do one they need to do the other. To me they were equal.

Joe's solo career was big too. People might not know Funk 49 or Walk Away but I don't know anybody who doesn't know Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.
    I loved Glenn but the sad fact is he had two top ten singles which appeared on soundtrack albums. His solo albums did not sell. He had nothing like the profile or the visibility Don had except for perhaps one year.

Sentimentality is all very well; When Glenn died his solo career was barely mentioned. There has not been any attempt to create interest in it as often happens with deceased artists. Sadly he did not have a large enough or influential enough body of work to justify him being in the Hall of Fame.

Joe on the other had had his own career before the Eagles & did enough with his pre Eagles bands as well as with his post Eagles solo work to justify being included.

A lot of the Hall of Fame stuff centres on who Jann Wenner thinks is 'hip' at any given time. Glenn was never 'hip' but Don Henley was. (Phil Collins was never 'hip' but Peter Gabriel epitomises the concept). This is one reason why it has taken so long for a lot of British bands, particularly progressive bands, like Yes & the Moody Blues, AND Dire Straits, to get there. They weren't 'hip'.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-27-2018 at 07:46 PM.

In Glenn Frey's own words

Re: his third solo album ... "let the lyrics sneak across"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnmp-DRPTU

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I loved Glenn but the sad fact is he had two top ten singles which appeared on soundtrack albums. His solo albums did not sell. He had nothing like the profile or the visibility Don had except for perhaps one year.

Sentimentality is all very well; When Glenn died his solo career was barely mentioned. There has not been any attempt to create interest in it as often happens with deceased artists. Sadly he did not have a large enough or influential enough body of work to justify him being in the Hall of Fame.

Joe on the other had had his own career before the Eagles & did enough with his pre Eagles bands as well as with his post Eagles solo work to justify being included.

A lot of the Hall of Fame stuff centres on who Jann Wenner thinks is 'hip' at any given time. Glenn was never 'hip' but Don Henley was. (Phil Collins was never 'hip' but Peter Gabriel epitomises the concept). This is one reason why it has taken so long for a lot of British bands, particularly progressive bands, like Yes & the Moody Blues, AND Dire Straits, to get there. They weren't 'hip'.
    FP, sadly I have to agree with you. No matter how much I loved Glenn, his solo career was not as successful as Don's. Don was huge in the 80's, especially with the success of EOTI, and all those Grammy wins. He deserves to be in the R&RHOF. As does Joe, who had a much more successful solo career pre/post Eagles. None of the other Eagles have done , IMHO, what what would be considered a successful solo career to be voted into the R&RHOF.

FP does not give Glenn the credit he is due. She has always downplayed his solo career, an odd quirk of hers over the years considering what a big fan she is.

It's true Glenn "only" had 2 top 10 hits. Both those songs hit #2. No other solo Eagle's songs hit #2, unless you count Don singing with Stevie on "Leather and Lace" or singing with Patti Smyth on "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough." The highest he got was #3 with "Dirty Laundry."

Glenn had six songs chart in the top 20. That's also more than any other Eagle. Don had four.

I'm not saying his albums were more successful; they weren't.... and Don had more songs in the top 40. Overall, he was more successful in that regard. He certainly was the critic's darling.

But forgive me if I don't use the word "sad" in the context of Glenn's solo career.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    FP does not give Glenn the credit he is due. She has always downplayed his solo career, an odd quirk of hers over the years considering what a big fan she is.

It's true Glenn "only" had 2 top 10 hits. Both those songs hit #2. No other solo Eagle's songs hit #2, unless you count Don singing with Stevie on "Leather and Lace" or singing with Patti Smyth on "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough." The highest he got was #3 with "Dirty Laundry."

Glenn had six songs chart in the top 20. That's also more than any other Eagle. Don had four.

I'm not saying his albums were more successful; they weren't.... and Don had more songs in the top 40. Overall, he was more successful in that regard. He certainly was the critic's darling.

But forgive me if I don't use the word "sad" to describe Glenn's solo career.
    Very true Soda. I thought he had more top 20 hits than Don. I was thinking in terms of overall success as a solo artist. Plus, Glenn was also working on his acting career in the 80's, which took away from his music output. I think it's safe to say both were successful in different ways.
    Just as an after thought, but Glenn did not always help himself by putting down his solo career while praising Don's to the moon and back. I have always felt he did not give himself enough credit as both a solo artist and in the Eagles. I don't know why he always felt it necessary to do that. He was a giant in his own right.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I do believe that Don should be inducted into the R&R HOF. He did achieve more critical and commercial success than any other Eagle as a solo artist in that he received two Grammy awards and sold more albums. As Soda said he was the critic’s media darling. And while I believe Don worked very hard to be successful and deserved these accolades, I also think the reality is that the general public has a skewed perception about how much success he achieved as compared to Glenn and Joe.

As Soda pointed out, Glenn had a pretty successful solo career of his own and it stands up pretty well in comparison to Don’s. They were actually pretty close in Top 40 hits – I think Don may have had a couple more than Glenn. Let’s also not forget that No Fun Aloud and The Allnighter were both certified gold. I often wonder how differently his solo career may have been perceived if Strange Weather had been a commercial success. This is the only time I would use the term sad to describe Glenn’s solo career. It’s a shame that, what I believe was his best effort by far, did not get the attention and critical acclaim it deserved. I feel a lot of that was due to poor marketing and bad timing.

Although I don’t agree with Freypower’s assessment at all, I do agree that she may be on to something about the ‘hip’ thing being an important factor for Jann Wenner, which is unfortunate. I think this attitude has permeated pop culture and is one reason that Joe may be perceived as having such a successful solo career. The fact of the matter is that, although very 'hip', Joe never had a Top 10 solo hit and had only four Top 40 hits – the highest of which reached #12 (LBG). To his credit, he definitely was the most prolific solo Eagle in terms of output though. However, I’ve personally never been one to value quantity over quality.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

It's not about deservingness, it's about "are you friends with Jann Wenner?"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

But forgive me if I don't use the word "sad" in the context of Glenn's solo career.
    Soda, I'm afraid you have overreacted to the word 'sad' (and also 'sadly'. I know that word does jump out). But in Hall of Fame terms, top 20 chart hits aren't what is considered important. What is important are album sales, awards, and 'crediibilty' as represented by all the benefits Don did & all the hanging out he did with other musicians.

'Casual fans' & probably most other people only remember THIO & YBTTC. Who remembers the other Top 20 hits?

I am being harsh because I am looking at it the way the HOF judges see it, not the way I see it. Though I will say that I was frustrated by the way Glenn dealt with his solo career. He was very dilettantish about it, especially after Soul Searchin' when he couldn't tour due to illness. BUT: I've just looked at the 'Legit' thread where he decided there was more to life than making records.

Also Glenn did the sort of music HE wanted to do. He emphasised his love of Motown & Memphis R&B and that meant... no deep lyrics. He left the 'deep' lyrics of his Eagles days to Henley. That led to the perception that Henley was the Eagle with the talent, and that persisted, and still persists, to this day, to the point where... I don't think I need to go on, do I?

Even when Glenn covered songs by other artists live, he did those happy, bouncy songs (e.g. Sam Cooke's I'll Come Running Back To You). No deep, dark Leonard Cohen for him. And that is what critics love.

It wasn't until Strange Weather that Glenn upped the ante & decided to write more 'serious' songs. By then it was too late. And of course his fnal album was not a rock album & was mainly cover versions.

He did what he wanted & more power to him. I personally loved his music, as you all know, and I preferred it to Don's music. But I'm not a Hall of Fame judge.

Now that they have fan votes, it is possible that with enough support he could be inducted to the HOF. But in order to receive a vote, you have to be nominated, and I'm afraid that goes back to the 'hip' business.

So what makes a solo career successful enough to be in the Hall of Fame? Either they can't be ignored, as with the members of the Beatles, or they combine all the factors of being critics' favourites with being big sellers. Hence Gabriel instead of Collins. Collins was absolutely massive in terms of sales, dwarfing both Frey & Henley, for a lot longer than Gabriel was. But the critics hate him.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-28-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Border Rebel

I think Don's songs stand the test of time a little better than Glenn's. On the radio stations I listen to, anyway, Don's solo songs are played MUCH more frequently than Glenn's.

Anyway, the question asked doesn't have to do with Glenn. It just asks if Don should be inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. My answer is a resounding yes! Some may say that my opinion is biased because I'm such a DH fan, but I love Don first for his singing and songwriting. Everything else is secondary.

I think most of us would agree that Don is a gifted lyricist. I'd go so far as to say he's underrated. In lists of great songwriters, he (and Glenn) seem to place rather low, which always surprises me. I've always been interested in words, books, writing and stories, and Don's lyrics have always stood out in my mind as poetry. He also is blessed with a lovely voice, and in his prime had a great singing range. After the Eagles broke up, he was smart enough to hire/collaborate with talented musicians to keep the music part of the songs at a high level. Anyway, I know commercial success is what counts, but it's the quality of his lyrics and vocals that to me makes it hard to ignore him for the Hall of Fame.