Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The most I'd accuse them of is being detached. That the tickets are selling demonstrates that they are affordable for a large enough part of the population to make it worth their while.
    UTW - I agree. If people would not buy those high priced tickets then they would be forced to lower the price. As long as people keep buying them at that price then they will keep selling them at those high prices.

[quote=WKMB55 Maybe others assessment about the band and greed contains some truth and maybe it doesn't. In the absence of any actual facts or proof, (all there are to offer are opinions) it irks me that people have labeled them as greedy. We all know that sometimes what someone perceives as the "truth" is not necessarily the actual "truth".

WKNB55 - The Eagles were the first group/singer to charge the highest price of $100.00 per ticket when they re-grouped for HFO in 1994. That was when the average price for a concert was around $35.00. The Eagles were torn apart by the press and called greedy by the press. This is the "truth". You can google it all if you so choose to. I paid $75.00 for my ticket which was the second highest price. I chose to pay that price because I had not been to a concert in a long time and I was a big Eagles fan since the beginning. Fans were led to believe it would be a limited tour and if you did not see them then, you would never see them in concert again. I'm sorry if it offends you, but I feel it is greedy to charge $1,640.00 for one front row ticket. The Eagles started the high ticket prices and now groups such as the RS also charge high prices for their tickets. I realize the days of paying $35.00 - $50.00 for these groups is long gone but they do not need to charge the high prices they do. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Being from the Millennial generation I agree a lot of us like myself grew up as children of Eagles fans so we've always knew their music. Other friends of mine who weren't got into them because of their huge influence on today's country music. As for their concert here in Columbus it is the "Evening with the Eagles" one and the cheapest was still well over $100. For my family and I it's just too much for all of us to go and I think it being so close to Christmas too impacted this as we were even talking about not getting each other gifts to afford it but realized that just felt wrong. Maybe it's because I'm used to going to more affordable concerts based on the current music I listen to but a lot of my generation doesn't like how these classic rock artists and some current pop ones cost too much, when we know our parents and in some cases grandparents could easily afford to see them decades ago (except for mine with the Eagles but that was because they were still young teens in the 70s).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I look at it this way: Fans are going to be paying alot of money to see a band that historically has charged alot of money to see them on tour.

Nothing has changed. Except the band. It's not the Eagles.

Is it worth it?

For me, the answer is a simple one. No.

Others feel differently. And that's okay. But let's not pretend. Glenn Frey didn't quit or take a vacation. He died.

Without him, participants are seeing a different band, a different sound, a different experience.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    What I should have said in the original post instead of being "sarcastic":

"I don't want to pay that price and I refuse to"

or

"I literally don't have enough money to buy a ticket"

are entirely reasonable and logical responses to a disappointing situation and I think we all empathize and sympathize with anyone in these positions.

Criticizing the band for setting prices to concerts that routinely sell out is not a logical response - that's what I think. I know others disagree, obviously.
    Maybe logic goes out the door when someone loves another's art so much and wants to participate. Not only do their shows sell out, I think the vast majority of attendees feel like they got their money's worth, even those Borderers who spend many hundreds of dollars for one seat feel like it was worth it.

The measuring tool for determining what is "too expensive" should not be comparisons to other live acts. The question should be, do you get what you pay for?

Fans calling the guys greedy just really irks me. There, I said it.
    If you think this version of the 'Eagles' is adequate, then I suppose you are 'getting what you paid for'. If you don't think it's the real band any more, then the high prices can no longer be justified.

I have already said that I no longer thought the prices were 'worth it' even in 2015. I had already decided I would not be seeing them again.

Saying that it's OK to say you can't afford it or you won't pay it but it's not OK to criticise the people who are setting those prices makes no sense at all. There is more to it than saying 'well, I won't go'. It comes down to whether the product being sold is worth the money. In my view it is not.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to cause a brouhaha when I re-stated the OP’s question. It just seemed no one was answering it. However it was stated, I do not agree its a foregone conclusion that supporters of the current line-up would respond, “no way, they’re not greedy!” I actually believe they are being a little greedy. I qualify that b/c I don’t know how much the band members control ticket prices (and “members” does not include Azoff). And I don’t use the term with disgust or contempt but more with tired resignation. Also, they are being no more greedy than they were in 1994 or 2001 or 2013. Why is it such a point of contention now? I confess I have not read every thread on this board but I do not recall such vexing over ticket prices in past concert discussions.

It bothers me that they don’t make some attempts to economize for the sake of their fans. Why not shed some of the excess backing musicians? Like Steuart Smith; Vince Gill could learn his parts. I guess ticket buyers are paying for their retirement too.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Delilah--Of course the things you listed, food, clothing, housing, etc. were cheaper back then than they are now, but the increase in prices now are due mainly to inflation. My larger point was that in the 70's concerts were not the big events that they are now. They were just an activity that you did with friends, much like going to a movie, just a step above. Seeing a concert then didn't involve using your dad's credit card. I always had $5-$10 sitting around from babysitting jobs and could buy a concert ticket. I think prices exploded in 1994 with the Eagles leading the pack at the time. And yes, I think they counted on us boomers financing these big events. Personally, I had 3 young kids at the time and couldn't or wouldn't buy a ticket to see my middle aged band. I think society at large is now much more willing to pay more money for entertainment than we did in the seventies. People didn't fly across the country or continents to see a concert. There were no VIP packages then. Reserved seating at concerts were generally two price ranges, one for floor and one for the other higher up seats. The person in the front row didn't pay any more than the guy in the last row on the floor. It mattered more when and where you bought your ticket.

So fast forward about four decades. Yes, I think ticket prices are quite high, but I paid to see my no longer middle aged band perform in Louisville in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Thank you for your post, My My; I get it now. The part I bolded nails it—back then it seems most people weren’t that extravagant, for lack of a better word.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's a potential criticism Don himself recognized.

Don Henley: "It would just seem like greed or something."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.b76121a86374
    In the article Henley was referring to the concept of continuing the band without Glenn, not ticket prices. I would be interested to know if he himself thinks their ticket prices are too high, and if charging so much is due to greed. My guess is he would say, No.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't let this go by. They're being judged the same as racists because they have high ticket prices (which is the topic of the thread) or because they're continuing without Glenn? Either way, I can't even believe the comparison.
    I was stating reasons why I wouldn't buy from a seller. Not saying they are on the same level, but they are both reaons why I wouldn't buy from them. At all. Continuing without Glenn (which is a no-no) is bad enough and enough for me to say no thanks, but keep the prices the same or higher, that's just insulting to a Glenn fan, honestly. I could give a few reasons why I wouldn't buy something from a company, those were just the most profound reasons I could think of then.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to cause a brouhaha when I re-stated the OP’s question. It just seemed no one was answering it. However it was stated, I do not agree its a foregone conclusion that supporters of the current line-up would respond, “no way, they’re not greedy!” I actually believe they are being a little greedy. I qualify that b/c I don’t know how much the band members control ticket prices (and “members” does not include Azoff). And I don’t use the term with disgust or contempt but more with tired resignation. Also, they are being no more greedy than they were in 1994 or 2001 or 2013. Why is it such a point of contention now? I confess I have not read every thread on this board but I do not recall such vexing over ticket prices in past concert discussions.

It bothers me that they don’t make some attempts to economize for the sake of their fans. Why not shed some of the excess backing musicians? Like Steuart Smith; Vince Gill could learn his parts. I guess ticket buyers are paying for their retirement too.

Thank you for your post, My My; I get it now. The part I bolded nails it—back then it seems most people weren’t that extravagant, for lack of a better word.
    Because it is no longer the Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Exactly. You are paying the same if not more for LESS.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Exactly. You are paying the same if not more for LESS.
    The fans who are buying the tickets don’t agree. The fans and the critics who have actually seen them perform don’t agree. If it’s no longer the Eagles, why do you care how fans spend their money?

I would never pay money to see Journey with the fake Steve Perry (and I love Journey). Maybe b/c I was fortunate to see them in their 80s heyday. But I don’t harbor any ill will against the current Journey and I don’t really care if people want to pay good money to see them now.