Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Rick Hall

Out on the Border

Default Re: RIP Rick Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @shun -- Rick and the FAME Gang actually produced the first two or three Osmonds albums, as well as the Donny Osmond Album. "Flirtin'" from that album really showcases that sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kuz6CdDBOg

It's astounding how many hits have come out of FAME studios and Muscle Shoals Sound. My sister had classes at The University of North Alabama with Rick's sons, and with the kids of a couple of the Swampers.

I live about 40 miles east of the Shoals, but everybody knows someone who knows someone who worked there or something. LOL.
    To date, the studio and its publishing company have been responsible for an estimated 350 million record sales, with songs by everyone from the Beatles to George Strait.

@JasonIsbell

Rick Hall and his family gave me my first job in the music business, and nobody in the industry ever worked harder than Rick. Nobody. American music wouldn’t be the same without his contributions. His death is a huge loss to those of us who knew him and those who didn’t.

I had a few ties. My grandmother babysat Roger Hawkins, the drummer for the Swampers. My cousin was married to Steve Melton who was the main engineer at Muscle Shoals Sound. In 1982 he engineered Glenn's No Fun Aloud album and most of Bob Seger's big hits.
    https://www.allmusic.com/artist/stev...n-mn0000036007

The girl who cut my hair in the early 80s was "seeing" Glenn during that time.

Donna Jean Thatcher Godchaux who sang background on Suspicious Minds and In the Ghetto for Elvis before joining the Grateful Dead was a long-time customer of my business. See if you can spot some legendary rockers in this VERY rare picture... https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...1&d=1515394141
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kperk014; 01-08-2018 at 04:57 AM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I see the Lynyrd Skynyrd members in that photo!

P.S. kperk, you made me smile by putting "seeing" in quotes like that

@Shun -- Alan Osmond had some very kind words about Rick on his Facebook page. It's public; you can just search for it.
    Yeah. I saw that. I follow all of the singing Osmonds on Facebook. I met a few of them.

Thanks.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

@NMB -- The "seeing" just made me LOL. I said, "Yeah. I'll bet." then I said, "Lucky woman." Hehehe.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I see the Lynyrd Skynyrd members in that photo!

P.S. kperk, you made me smile by putting "seeing" in quotes like that
    The Honketts are in the pic too along with Jimmy Johnson of the Swampers. Since Cassie Gaines is in the pic but her brother Steve isn't, this picture was probably taken in late April of 1976, just a few months before their legendary performance at the Knebworth Festival in England where they blew the Rolling Stones away!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Yeah. I saw that. I follow all of the singing Osmonds on Facebook. I met a few of them.

Thanks.
    Marie and I are about the same age. When my sources let me know she was in town recording "This Is The Way That I Feel" I was a 16 year old trying to figure out how to bluff my way into the studio. If I had gotten in I probably wouldn't have been able to speak.

@kperk014 -- And unless I'm mistaken, the lady in the sleeveless top sitting next to the trophy is JoJo Billingsley, one of the Honketts. Now, I could be wrong about whether that's her, but I did know JoJo as Deborah Jo White years later after she settled down and married. She had two children and passed away from breast cancer in 2010 or 2011. She lived in Cullman. She did local Christian concerts and I had the privilege and blessing of hearing her sing and having some wonderful conversations with her.

Rolling Stone interviewed her about the Skynyrd plane crash some years later. I heard her tell about the dream she had about the plane crashing a couple of days before it happened. It would make your blood run cold. She was home with her mom in Mississippi and had the dream. She said she'd never dreamed anything that was so vivid.

What a voice. At one of her concerts, her accompaniment tape just quit, but all she did was shrug and finish the song a cappella and note-perfect. Such a pro.

Thanks so much for that photo!

Out on the Border

@kperk014 -- And unless I'm mistaken, the lady in the sleeveless top sitting next to the trophy is JoJo Billingsley, one of the Honketts. Now, I could be wrong about whether that's her, but I did know JoJo as Deborah Jo White years later after she settled down and married. She had two children and passed away from breast cancer in 2010 or 2011. She lived in Cullman. She did local Christian concerts and I had the privilege and blessing of hearing her sing and having some wonderful conversations with her.

Rolling Stone interviewed her about the Skynyrd plane crash some years later. I heard her tell about the dream she had about the plane crashing a couple of days before it happened. It would make your blood run cold. She was home with her mom in Mississippi and had the dream. She said she'd never dreamed anything that was so vivid.

What a voice. At one of her concerts, her accompaniment tape just quit, but all she did was shrug and finish the song a cappella and note-perfect. Such a pro.

Thanks so much for that photo!

Yes, that is Jo Jo. I hate father time and plane crashes!