Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Austin, I've have the complete opposite results with Norton! In sixteen years of having computers at home, I've never once had a computer infected with anything (knock on wood!). I would never consider trying something else because of that. The one time I did get an infected email from a friend (I didn't open it), he'd let his Norton subscription lapse. He was having other issues (ironically, a real virus that had him stuck in bed) so I called Norton support for him to ask a question. Since I had received the email, they insisted on running a scan on my computer, then they sent themselves the email for analysis. It wasn't a known virus, but one that had recognizable signatures. When my friend was able, he called Norton Support, got his subscription up to date, and they took temporary control of his computer and cleaned it completely while he watched.

I get pop-ups and such at least once a month that something was caught and stopped. I really like the flexibility it has, and I really like how it works with Windows instead of butting heads with it. I like having the Norton icon on the search results when running a search that tells me which links are safe to click on, even though if I click on when using a browser that doesn't have the toolbar installed, Norton stops me from going further. I'm amazed at how many seemingly innocent links have malicious software imbedded in their pictures.
    Consider yourself VERY lucky! I can't tell you how many problems with their software I've had over the years. Most computer places (other than big chain stores) don't recommend it. One of the biggest gripes is/was that it REALLY slows down the system and really is a CPU/RAM hog. The other being it's somewhat lacking protection (it's great when it has a signature for something but if it doesn't, which is more often than not - you are screwed.).

See it's funny because no antivirus is perfect. Soda got infected when using Kaspersky and I've had 0 infections for me and all of my clients that use it and I love it to death. There are things that can sneak by any program. But for me the resource usage plus the decent-at-best signatures kind of turn me off. I will say they are slowly getting better about the resource usage but back in 2009 I made LOTS of money removing Norton from PCs. Angry, angry people that paid money for something and were mad that it had to be removed but once they removed it and switched to either Kaspersky, Avast, or AVG they were MUCH happier.

One of the reasons I prefer Kaspersky is it's zero day component. If you configure it right, even if Kaspersky doesn't have a signature for something (which is rare as Kaspersky updates at least every few hours) - it will protect you with it's HIPS/Application Control part of the software. You can't rely on just signatures anymore. Malware is getting too good, too fast released, and all of that. You need a HIPS engine or sandboxing to really stay fully protected. Of course common sense browsing helps but sometimes things hide themselves VERY well.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

As I learned in my CompTIA Security training last month is that Symantec (Norton) is one of the leaders in Zero day identifications. Kaspersky was mentioned ahead of McAfee (now that's a cpu hog). I've never noticed Norton taking up too much space or hogging my cpu performance except when it runs a full scan every night at 1:30. Since I'm usually in bed then, it's not a problem! Live Update runs at least once an hour (usually more), and it does background checks and smaller scans throughout the day. As you can see, since I never turn my computers off, I'm a bit freakish when it comes to security.

In order to get into my company's VPN, I need the latest version/updates of AV software in order to connect. The free versions aren't recognized as 'acceptable' and so I can't use those. My problem, and this would be true of any AV software and not just Norton, is getting the next update before my company does. Fortunately, after many complaints, they changed their configuration settings to be a certain update number 'or higher'.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Also, I keep selecting the button on this site to keep me logged in, but it doesn't. I have to log in every time. I must need to change some setting on my computer?
    Anybody know?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Anybody know?
    I never thought much about it but now that you mention it...I have that button checked too and also have to log in every time...hmm?

I don't even see I button so I'm obviously no help.
    VK

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I'm so glad I don't need antivirus on my computer. I had so much trouble with my Dad's laptop and desktop. When he travels, he takes the one laptop with him, but it may not get used for several months. The hassle of having to scan for 3 hours for viruses you know it doesn't have, as it wasn't used, and also updating everything is too much for me. I use Kaspersky for the desktop and Webroot for the laptop ( I will change that to Kaspersky as well). It has worked well for us, but we all know no antivirus is 100 %.

As far as your login issue, I would recommend clearing your cookies, then trying again.

this may be a stupid question but here goes...I bought a new printer last year which is currently hooked up to my desktop computer...Now that I have a lap top I want the printer hooked to it ...my printer has wireless capability...What I want to know is...when I hook the printer up to be wireless to use with my laptop...will it still work with my desktop computer or won't I be able to print off that computer anymore? hope I'm making my question clear...

You have a wireless router, right? None of my printers have wireless capability, I have it connected to the router via cable. Anyway, if both computers and the laptop are on the network, either cabled in or wireless, then both computers will have access to the printer. You'll have to delete the printer from your desktop and re-install it. You probably connected to it via 'local' and now you need to connect to it via 'network'. The printer wizard will walk you through it.
    VK

If your printer is wireless:

Go to the computer the printer is installed on (which will be your base station so to speak).

Go to Control Panel and go to Printers. Depending on your OS it may be called "Devices and Printers".

Uninstall all printers that you either are A - going to reinstall or B - don't have anymore. Just right click and hit uninstall or choose it in the bar.

Then find your CD that came with the said wireless printer. If you don't have it - you need to download them from the site of the company that makes the printer. Normally a print wizard would work but if your printer doesn't know what wireless network/router to connect to, it won't show up. That's what the printer drivers and setup wizard is for.

Follow the prompts and choose wireless and go through the prompts.

Then on the 2nd computer - go do the Printers and add printer and look for "network" (not local) printers. Add the printer. If it's Vista or 7 it should download the drivers automatically if need be via Windows Update.

That should work. If your printer has never been wireless - you need the manufacturer setup wizard to turn that part on from my experience.

If you hook into the router from the printer with a USB cable you can ignore the manufacturer part, same as if you use printer sharing. But connecting your printer to a wireless signal from your router requires the wizard.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Is there an easy way to delete pictures from your Camera Roll or photostream on the iphone without having to manuslly delete them one by one? I have saved them to my computer and need to free up space. I don't use a mac (yet........ Hubby..... Christmas is coming.... hint).
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP