Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad Cafe

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Sad Cafe

The comparison between The Last Resort and The Sad Cafe that I was remembering was musical rather than lyrical. Personally, I prefer Sad Cafe in both respects. I like the more personal lyrics and I'm not a fan of Henley "epics".

I like the sax, too. On that subject, Phil Kenzie said that the sax solo was pieced together in the studio and that the Sanborne had to learn how to play it as a solo before he went on tour with the band.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love both songs and feel they are both vastly underrated, however, I never thought of them as being similar.

As far as Glenn singing lead on The Sad Cafe, I think it definitely would have worked. I would never say it would have been better than Don's version, but I believe it could have been equally as good, albeit in a different way. As evocative as Don's vocals are on the song, Glenn's voice has a vulnerable quality to it that would have also been extremely effective. JMHO. I feel the same way about several other songs in the Eagles' catalog, but The Last Resort is not one of them - to me, that one is vintage Henley.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I've been listening to JD singing the song and it works, so I'm sure a Glenn-sung version would have worked, too.

While there are some lyrics which have a Henley ring to them ("fortune smiles on some and lets the rest go free"), when the credits have four names, I don't think it can be assumed to be primarily a Henley song. My guess is that JD had significant input. Joe is more surprising.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-27-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the horns and all Eagles era either (see also the awful percussion on the LROOE album) but I think as an exception TSC worked pretty well.

As for what would be cut, I can't help but think it would have been one from the trio of Teenage Jail, TGDWNF or The Disco Strangler, probably the former: I can imagine certainly Henley, Frey and Souther were all feeling very starkly what they wrote, whereas the other three I listed are pretty bang average, unremarkable filler. I believe Henley in the past has said of one of them that it was the epitome of how fed up they were at the time. The Long Run would be substantially weaker for TSC's exclusion. For me it doesn't have much going for it to start with!

I think TGDWNF sounds like they lost a bet, and had to put it on the album. I have never liked that song, but all 3 of those are pretty weak, especially coming off the monster that was Hotel California.

Border Desperado

And I think Sad Café would be a perfect way to salute Glenn at the end of the Classic East and West Shows!!!