Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

I'll have to make it clear that I'm not referring to the original poster now, but it seems to me that when people say "they don't make good music these days", it usually means "I don't hear new songs I like in the radio station I listen to in my car". I don't listen to radio, but when I hear it somewhere a lot of the music doesn't move me (some of it does, like Hozier's "Take me to church"). But I do hear rather new music all the time - music that is not played in these radio stations - that I love. (And when I say a lot of the new music I hear on the radio doesn't move me, the same goes for music from the 70's.)

Most of what I listen to are old bands/artists, but it's more a question of habit than musical preference. I have this fixation with "the old", and it doesn't mean that it's better. I love Soundgarden now, but it took me a few years to fall in love with them. I didn't get Guns'n'Roses when I first heard them, but now I love them.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

My main musical interest is hard rock / heavy metal, with Metallica being my favorite group. I love a great deal of music from the 70's, and The Eagles are one of my favorite groups. I also enjoy some country and rap music as well. I leave myself open to experiencing all genres of music. I remember freaking out some folks at a Don Henley concert once because I was wearing my Slayer shirt with all my tattoos and piercings and singing along to all of his songs. Lol.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    My main musical interest is hard rock / heavy metal, with Metallica being my favorite group. I love a great deal of music from the 70's, and The Eagles are one of my favorite groups. I also enjoy some country and rap music as well. I leave myself open to experiencing all genres of music. I remember freaking out some folks at a Don Henley concert once because I was wearing my Slayer shirt with all my tattoos and piercings and singing along to all of his songs. Lol.

Stuck on the Border

I started in the 70s but moved to the 80s & 90s & went back to the 60s. The 50s, apart from Elvis Presley, do nothing for me.

The fact is that my third favourite band, Dire Straits, had most of their success in the 80s, so of course I have to say I like 80s music. The majority of Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins' solo careers also occurred in the 80s while the mighty Genesis rolled on & on until 1992.

I was a fan of bands like the Pretenders, REM & Oasis from the 80s-90s, allthough it could be said that only Oasis belong solely to the 90s. Prince too, of course. There are some artists from this era where I only like a couple of songs. Being Australian I was a fan of Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Split Enz & Crowded House from this period.

I keep hearing that I should listen to current artists like Adele. I tried her & she did nothing for me. Bands like Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Tame Impala etc. I did buy two albums by the Fleet Foxes & one by Dawes as they were vaguely country rock, but I wouldn't know where to go now. The Genesis board are always recommending new prog bands, but there is a limit.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while, but I really needed to think carefully before posting. This is because the sort of person this thread describes is basically me! In terms of loving music from the 1960s and 1970s best, I'm certainly 'Guilty of the Crime!' I was born in 1994, so it's definitely not nostalgia for me, it genuinely is the music I love most. So I'll try to describe some of my thoughts. I was introduced to some of the music from this era by my parents, but most of it I discovered and listened to on my own. For example, both of my parents like the Eagles, but I discovered tracks like Doolin-Dalton, My Man, Good Day In Hell, The Sad Café (to name a few favourites) and all the post-HFO works for myself, so that doesn't fully explain it.

I should make it clear that I definitely do NOT think that just because music was released during the 1960s or 1970s does not automatically make it 'good', nor does the fact that it was released outside this era, or by an artist who started their career later make it 'bad'. On a personal level, I definitely prefer rock music to pop and therefore I think I naturally prefer the eras when rock music is prominent (I have a broad view of the rock genre, so it's difficult for me to describe where rock ends and pop begins, but I sort of know the difference when I hear it. I think!). The current era is as pop-dominated as it's ever been - I remember one recent year where I think there were only something like 3-4 guitar acts in the UK top 40 all year, so it's not a great time for me, at least in terms of mainstream music.

I remembered that early last year I posted a chart of my 50 favourite album on this board. There's a few albums I'd like to add to this now, but it still stands for the most part. I'll post a link for easy access:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...1&postcount=25

As you can see, the 1960s and 1970s are very heavily represented, with not many albums from later decades. This is especially true at the top, where only post-1970s album makes my top 20.

If I'm being honest, the 1970s are my true favourite decade, more so than the 1960s. My three favourite bands are the Eagles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd - of these, the first run of the Eagles was almost entirely in the 1970s, as was Led Zeppelin's career. Pink Floyd did release more music before and after, plenty of which I do enjoy, but the era of that band I love most by far is the 1970s version. It's the same with Neil Young, who released his best music (IMO) between 1969 and 1979. Generally, I find that if an artist was active in both the 1970s and the 1980s, I tend to prefer their 70s works - Genesis and if I'm being brutally honest Fleetwood Mac are two that stand out to me in this respect. Rush is an exception, although I've not heard anything earlier than Permanent Waves by them.

In terms of subsequent decades, I'd say that the 1980s is a difficult time for me to love so much because a lot of my favourite bands or artists broke up (Eagles, Led Zep) or entered a weaker era (Young). It also doesn't help that I'm not a massive fan of the synth and electronic drum sounds that were so common in that decade. I find that a lot of people my age seem to love this era, but The only 1980s band I'd say I truly love are Dire Straits, and even then their first two albums were in the late 1970s.

I personally feel that the early 1990s (I say early 90s, really the period I'm thinking of is about 1989-94) were quite a strong era. Although I'm not massively into grunge, I think it seemed to spark a lot of creativity in this era. I think especially of Neil Young, who had a great run of albums in this time. I also like some of R.E.M. and Tom Petty's music from around this time. There was also the bonus of Hell Freezes Over, and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell. So, yes, I'm quite fond of that time. The late 1990s, by contrast, do very little for me, and I barely even own any music from 1995-1999.

I grew up listening to plenty of contemporary music from the 2000s, thanks to my parents playing CDs in the car, but I have to say that not much of it has really stuck with me. My favourite albums have tended to be the works by older artists - Long Road Out Of Eden being one, along with Mark Knopfler's solo albums (especially from 2000-04), but these are by artists whose older works I also love and I've discovered these by myself. I think Cass County will have some staying power too. Of the ones my parents played regularly in this era, I have to say I liked Coldplay the best and thought they would stand the test of time but I'm personally finding their music isn't ageing quite as well as I thought it would (there are some songs that I think are standing up, but not as many as I hoped). Maybe it's just that my own tastes have changed.

There's probably a lot more I can say about this, but this will do to be getting on with...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think there is something to be said for the theory that when you're in the teens and in your twenties at your most emotionally vulnerable, the music you hear gets connected to your life in a way that doesn't occur with the generation before you... and that kind of intense life connection doesn't occur as much as you reach middle age and beyond. Thus, the vast majority of each generation will almost inevitably claim that music started to go downhill right after they left behind their youth.

I was a teen in the late 80s/early 90s, and when everyone hates on 80s and 90s music, I think of all those songs I connected with when I was young and how big a part of my life they were. To this day, I know the lyrics to just about every hit of that time period, even the ones from earlier in the 80s that were still playing on the radio when I was coming of age.

While the bands I am most passionate about (BY FAR) are the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, I know many more of the songs played on 80s and 90s stations than I do the ones played on the 60s and 70s stations. Thus, I find myself enjoying the music of those stations more...

... and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
    I agree! Whenever I hear or read someone dissing 80s music, I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes. There was so much variety and diversity in terms of artists and styles that were popular. New genres (rap, new wave) became part of the mainstream. And dance music was big! That was part of the appeal and something I don't think was a major factor in the 70s until disco came along (I'm not including country music in which dancing has always been a huge component). Growing up with parents who listened to country (as did most of my friends' parents) and older siblings who listened to rock, pop and soul/R&B, I was exposed to all kinds of popular contemporary music. So I definitely have an appreciation for 60/70s music. These days it seems like it's the parents/older folks who listen to (classic) rock and the younger people who listen to country.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while, but I really needed to think carefully before posting. This is because the sort of person this thread describes is basically me! In terms of loving music from the 1960s and 1970s best, I'm certainly 'Guilty of the Crime!' I was born in 1994, so it's definitely not nostalgia for me, it genuinely is the music I love most. So I'll try to describe some of my thoughts. I was introduced to some of the music from this era by my parents, but most of it I discovered and listened to on my own. For example, both of my parents like the Eagles, but I discovered tracks like Doolin-Dalton, My Man, Good Day In Hell, The Sad Café (to name a few favourites) and all the post-HFO works for myself, so that doesn't fully explain it.

I should make it clear that I definitely do NOT think that just because music was released during the 1960s or 1970s does not automatically make it 'good', nor does the fact that it was released outside this era, or by an artist who started their career later make it 'bad'. On a personal level, I definitely prefer rock music to pop and therefore I think I naturally prefer the eras when rock music is prominent (I have a broad view of the rock genre, so it's difficult for me to describe where rock ends and pop begins, but I sort of know the difference when I hear it. I think!). The current era is as pop-dominated as it's ever been - I remember one recent year where I think there were only something like 3-4 guitar acts in the UK top 40 all year, so it's not a great time for me, at least in terms of mainstream music.

I remembered that early last year I posted a chart of my 50 favourite album on this board. There's a few albums I'd like to add to this now, but it still stands for the most part. I'll post a link for easy access:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...1&postcount=25

As you can see, the 1960s and 1970s are very heavily represented, with not many albums from later decades. This is especially true at the top, where only post-1970s album makes my top 20.

If I'm being honest, the 1970s are my true favourite decade, more so than the 1960s. My three favourite bands are the Eagles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd - of these, the first run of the Eagles was almost entirely in the 1970s, as was Led Zeppelin's career. Pink Floyd did release more music before and after, plenty of which I do enjoy, but the era of that band I love most by far is the 1970s version. It's the same with Neil Young, who released his best music (IMO) between 1969 and 1979. Generally, I find that if an artist was active in both the 1970s and the 1980s, I tend to prefer their 70s works - Genesis and if I'm being brutally honest Fleetwood Mac are two that stand out to me in this respect. Rush is an exception, although I've not heard anything earlier than Permanent Waves by them.

In terms of subsequent decades, I'd say that the 1980s is a difficult time for me to love so much because a lot of my favourite bands or artists broke up (Eagles, Led Zep) or entered a weaker era (Young). It also doesn't help that I'm not a massive fan of the synth and electronic drum sounds that were so common in that decade. I find that a lot of people my age seem to love this era, but The only 1980s band I'd say I truly love are Dire Straits, and even then their first two albums were in the late 1970s.

I personally feel that the early 1990s (I say early 90s, really the period I'm thinking of is about 1989-94) were quite a strong era. Although I'm not massively into grunge, I think it seemed to spark a lot of creativity in this era. I think especially of Neil Young, who had a great run of albums in this time. I also like some of R.E.M. and Tom Petty's music from around this time. There was also the bonus of Hell Freezes Over, and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell. So, yes, I'm quite fond of that time. The late 1990s, by contrast, do very little for me, and I barely even own any music from 1995-1999.

I grew up listening to plenty of contemporary music from the 2000s, thanks to my parents playing CDs in the car, but I have to say that not much of it has really stuck with me. My favourite albums have tended to be the works by older artists - Long Road Out Of Eden being one, along with Mark Knopfler's solo albums (especially from 2000-04), but these are by artists whose older works I also love and I've discovered these by myself. I think Cass County will have some staying power too. Of the ones my parents played regularly in this era, I have to say I liked Coldplay the best and thought they would stand the test of time but I'm personally finding their music isn't ageing quite as well as I thought it would (there are some songs that I think are standing up, but not as many as I hoped). Maybe it's just that my own tastes have changed.

There's probably a lot more I can say about this, but this will do to be getting on with...
    Thanks for the link - great albums indeed. There is one I don't know of, so thanks again.

70's are also my favorite for music (and movies).. Even with my very favorite like Pink Floyd, I don't care for their 80s and 90s stuff. "The Final Cut" is very good, but it's missing Rick's atmosphere, but I don't think Roger would have wanted synths while talking about his father. More of a Waters' solo album, then two Gilmour solo albums, then finally a tribute to Rick Wright with "Endless River" which I was so surprised by, I like listening to it. The worst song is the only one with lyics, lol... "Oh, Polly, please believe me.."

Same with other favorites - Supertramp, Steely Dan, David Bowie, ELO, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney,