Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Co lead vocals

Default Re: Co lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Meanwhile Timothy gets 2 songs, one with a Henley vocal.
    This puts me in mind of something I read on another thread a while back (in regards to "Do Something") in which someone posted a transcript of an interview with Don saying:

I thought about singing it for a while then I said "nah, you know, I want you to sing this Tim," and it's a nice country flavoured ballad. We had an outside musician come in and play the pedal-steel guitar on it.
    That makes me think that originally it was supposed to be a Don lead, but it was changed at the last minute (possibly to give Timothy another lead?). I could be wrong about that though.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...p?t=512&page=6

A little peace of mind is all I'm looking for....

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Is he singing all the parts Tim does as well? But just a lower part? I wish Glenn had a more prominent role in that song than he does
    Glenn sings during the song's choruses (I'm just waiting in the weeds etc).
    He is most audible during the second last chorus (the phases of the moon part) and he can be heard clearly during the line 'slowly changing you'.

Those parts where Tim is interjecting is just him.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    Thanks, on the avatar, he's a cutie isn't he!

That smile could buckle my knees at a long country mile

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well – I appreciate those who responded to my last post, but, I am still perplexed about what constitutes a lead vocal vs. a backup vocal vs. harmony vocals in the world of the Eagles.

Is it how loud the volume is on the vocal? If so, how loud does it have to be? Is it how many lines are sung? If so, how many lines are required? Is it whether or not the vocalist has lines where no one else is singing? How many vocalist are required to constitute a harmony?

I realize that I am being pretty anal about this, so please, no one should feel compelled to respond to these rhetorical questions. I won’t continue to belabor this, but it's way too subjective for me. I truly have a hard time trying to grasp why Glenn’s vocals in LROOE would be considered backing harmony vocals, but his vocal in KOH is a shared lead vocal? Or why there is a co-lead singer on WDIDWMH, but not on LGTIT or WITW? Or why 4 lines of vocals qualify as a co-lead on ATTIG, but 6 lines in LGTIT do not. Oh well, it is what it is.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Right, dreamer! I know I'm lost!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well – I appreciate those who responded to my last post, but, I am still perplexed about what constitutes a lead vocal vs. a backup vocal vs. harmony vocals in the world of the Eagles.

Is it how loud the volume is on the vocal? If so, how loud does it have to be? Is it how many lines are sung? If so, how many lines are required? Is it whether or not the vocalist has lines where no one else is singing? How many vocalist are required to constitute a harmony?

I realize that I am being pretty anal about this, so please, no one should feel compelled to respond to these rhetorical questions. I won’t continue to belabor this, but it's way too subjective for me. I truly have a hard time trying to grasp why Glenn’s vocals in LROOE would be considered backing harmony vocals, but his vocal in KOH is a shared lead vocal? Or why there is a co-lead singer on WDIDWMH, but not on LGTIT or WITW? Or why 4 lines of vocals qualify as a co-lead on ATTIG, but 6 lines in LGTIT do not. Oh well, it is what it is.
    I know this might not be satisfactory but I think it just depends on the song. I feel ATTIG is gone because Don sings more than one line by himself and is the focus of the song for that length of time. In LGTIT I still see it as a Joe lead vocal despite Glenn having many lines. I don’t consider call and response like vocals to count as a lead vocals. He isn’t the focus. Likewise for Randy in Saturday night. I feel KOH is a co lead vocal because the way the two voices are arranged it’s meant to complement each other and without one voice doing the high or the low it doesn’t make any sense. I think co lead vocals should be nearly the entire length of the song. I don’t think you can sing the whole song and not be part of the lead vocal. This is why I think visions is a co lead. Having said that this is just only my opinion

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I know this might not be satisfactory but I think it just depends on the song. I feel ATTIG is gone because Don sings more than one line by himself and is the focus of the song for that length of time. In LGTIT I still see it as a Joe lead vocal despite Glenn having many lines. I don’t consider call and response like vocals to count as a lead vocals. He isn’t the focus. Likewise for Randy in Saturday night. I feel KOH is a co lead vocal because the way the two voices are arranged it’s meant to complement each other and without one voice doing the high or the low it doesn’t make any sense. I think co lead vocals should be nearly the entire length of the song. I don’t think you can sing the whole song and not be part of the lead vocal. This is why I think visions is a co lead. Having said that this is just only my opinion
    I agree with pretty much all you've said, but not even the band list Visions as a co-lead vocal. The others are just harmonising with Felder. It's not really an ensemble vocal the way NMWITW is because Felder does sing the line 'just a taste will do' alone. If you are going to have a co-lead you have to claim who else is singing & while the money is probably on Henley it isn't that obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by tac0mao6 View Post
    That smile could buckle my knees at a long country mile
    I know, right.

Angry Re: Co lead vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I agree with pretty much all you've said, but not even the band list Visions as a co-lead vocal. The others are just harmonising with Felder. It's not really an ensemble vocal the way NMWITW is because Felder does sing the line 'just a taste will do' alone. If you are going to have a co-lead you have to claim who else is singing & while the money is probably on Henley it isn't that obvious.
    That’s a good point. I’ve always seen it that but if the band doesn’t list it that way and Felder does sing that line alone. Good point

I think it has to do with the significance and prominence of the lines song. If we look at LGTIT, Glenn's echos are cool, but they're more for sound. The same is true for Tim's echos in WITW. Honestly, it never even crossed my mind to think of those as "co-leads" and when people started talking about Tim in WITW, I had to sit here and think a moment before I even figured out what people were referring to. They're just supplemental echoes, layering the sound.

On the other hand, Don's few lines in ATTG are, as YEF pointed out, the sole focus. They're not just an echo. The same is true for Don's lines in WDIDWMH, Do Something, Ol' 55, and Doolin' Dalton. To my mind, it's a big difference. All this talk of prominent harmonies or a couple echoing lines at the chorus/bridge/outro/etc. as a "co-lead" has really made me scratch my head.

KOH and GDIH are special cases. The two guys are harmonizing throughout and they both wrote it, so I guess they decided to call it a duet. That being said, to me, it sounds like Don is doing the dominant melody in KOH and Glenn is doing the dominant melody in GDIH - but they're the songwriters!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten