Page 57 of 140 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    GA - Good luck ! Do you teach HS or college.
    (I have two sister who are HS teachers - one English the other Science).
    Its called Secondary School here - Age 12 - 17/18, so I guess it would be equivalent to High School in the USA. There are two 'serious' sets of certificate exams that you work towards, the Junior Certificate after 3 years and (more importantly) the Leaving Certificate when you finish. Its the results of the Leaving that are used to determine if you get a place in University/College afterwards.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm getting adjusted to starting the new semester too although for a teacher, it's a bit different!

I have a question for you guys:

There's someone on Facebook who I talk to occasionally on there, but I am not really close to.

Lately, she's been posting photos of herself where's she talking about dieting and exercising and she's clearly gone way too far. She looks gaunt.

Is it my place to say anything when I've so rarely talked to her?
    Me, I wouldn't if I were in your shoes just because I hate conflict. I really don't want to upset someone, even out of a caring place. To me it still feels like judging, as someone who's experienced comments from friends. For me personally, because of my history with bullying and also a fair bit of bullheadedness, all criticism is bad criticism and some advice I see as criticism. I'm a very sensitive person in that way. So I probably wouldn't respond well. I wouldn't be upset with you openly, but it would be something I'd stew over. That's just me and my personality. I don't handle what I define as criticism well.

However, I also understand the feeling of watching someone do something bad for themselves, and wanting to help him in some way and feeling guilty for not doing something if things would turn bad. In that case, yes it is justified I think.

I definitely think it is up to you ulimately, but if it was someone I didn't know well, I really would feel uncomfortable doing so. It just makes me nervous.

Because I myself have had my fair share of people who barely know me telling me what I should be doing or not doing or discounting my disabilities (which they see as excuses) and it really throws a wrench in my head and puts me into orbit. And I know how I get about it. So in all fairness, I would never do something to cause someone else that combo of anger/sadness, even though most wouldn't react like I do. But the potential is there. Because I can't be alone in that, IMO.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm getting adjusted to starting the new semester too although for a teacher, it's a bit different!

I have a question for you guys:

There's someone on Facebook who I talk to occasionally on there, but I am not really close to.

Lately, she's been posting photos of herself where's she talking about dieting and exercising and she's clearly gone way too far. She looks gaunt.

Is it my place to say anything when I've so rarely talked to her?
    That's tough. She'll almost certainly be defensive I would think. She might not be able to get that you're concerned, and not judging her.

Gah. But it would feel awful to say nothing, as if you don't care. Sorry, I'm of no help. Hopefully someone wise will have the answer. Could you ask her a general well-being question, and not go directly to the dieting issue?

Border Troubadour

I graduated from university this summer and today I have moved into a new flat, alone, in a town miles from home that I have no connection to at all. I start a new job next month and the combination of all of this has made me think I have finally grown up I have no idea if I am excited, nervous, getting old before my time or something else altogether!

Hope the rest of you are well. I have been about on here of late but I don't think I post anywhere near as much, so sorry if I have missed anything!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

tlr, best of luck in this new chapter in your life!

I had a long weekend with girlfriends in Branson. We had a fantastic time! Friday evening we went to the Pierce Arrow show where my husband's cousin performs. Great show! We have listened to him sing since he was about 3 years old and he's so good! If you ever get to Branson, look up this show!

Saturday we went downtown to the historic district and did a bit of shopping, then went out on the Branson Bell Showboat for a dinner and show cruise. Great fun, lovely evening and dinner and great show!

Sunday morning we visited the Top of the Rock which is a golf complex designed by Arnold Palmer and situated on top of an Ozark mountain. The owner of Bass Pro Shops built it and there is also Big Cedar Lodge next door. Tons of stuff to do there like an Indian Artifacts Museum, trails to walk and golf cart tours through some caverns. There is a beautiful chapel with a glass wall in the back overlooking Tablerock Lake. They do destination weddings there. We decided that we needed to go back there for the whole weekend in order to see it all! Absolutely beautiful! I will try to post some pics in the Every Picture Tells a Story thread later, because words can't describe the beauty of it all!

Yesterday I took off work to babysit my grandson, 3 1/2, and we went to visit my Mom at the nursing home. She is doing so much better since we moved her there! She was amazed with his questions and he was amazed with her remote controlled bed!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yesterday I took off work to babysit my grandson, 3 1/2, and we went to visit my Mom at the nursing home. She is doing so much better since we moved her there! She was amazed with his questions and he was amazed with her remote controlled bed!
    Aww, that's sweet. My mom is in a care home too. It was a hard transition for her, but she's getting the medical care she needs as well as social interaction. She's the reigning Pokeno champ in her building. Her room is stocked with all the snacks and candy that she's won.

Best wishes tlr and Brooke, glad to hear your mother is adjusting so well!

I had a pretty intense week last week. I had a seizure at work which caused a big fiasco on Wednesday, then we had a hurricane warning which shut down the school, then Friday through Monday I was in Atlanta going to to a book festival during the day and a sci fi convention at night!

I'm back home now - and exhausted!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It sure is a change, tlr! Hope you're doing well!

I hope your mom is adjusting to her new home relatively easily, Brooke!

Soda, I'm sorry to hear about your recent health scare. Was it from stress or the school year starting, if you don't mind me asking? You sure did have a wild week with the weather and conventions too. I don't know exactly where you're located, and you don't have to say anything. But is Hurricane Irma going to affect where you live, like Harvey, I presume, did?

Sorry to hear about that soda

I am loving College. My Epiphone headstock broke. So I decided to buy a brand new Guitar. It's a Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute model. Satin Gold and made inthe USA

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

So sorry Soda and glad you're doing better now.

My class is going well for me and really glad we don't have that many students in it. I have to give a few presentations later and this will help me, as I don't usually do well with public speaking, and it feels a bit more comfortable for me and already like my teacher since I've had her before.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."