Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's heritage?

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn's heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think about this from time to time but I don't really want to find out what his birth surname was. Frey is who he is.
    I would definitely agree with this too.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I thought that I had heard a quote from one of Glenn's 2007 Niagara Falls shows in which he mentioned his mother remarrying. I did some research & found PLS's comment in her review of the August 17, 2007 show Quote:

Oh and I got to walk down to see The Falls. It's the first time I've ever been there. I think it was the second night that Glenn told us his mom remarried when he was three and they took him with them on their honeymoon to Niagara Falls. There's a picture of him in his little raincoat and hat, smiling while scared to death.
    I'd love to see that picture!

Wow. Good point. I think he was referring to the father he knows and loves at Royal Oak. The Niagara Falls story puts a whole new twist to it.
    Last edited by Elizasong; 12-09-2014 at 09:55 PM.

I'm copying over to this thread some of the info GL found here.
    Ethnicity: French-Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish

Glenn was born to Nellie Marie (Markham) and Robert George Cedar. He was raised by his mother and her second husband, Edward “Eddie” Warren Frey.

Glenn’s paternal grandparents were James Edward Cedar (the son of William DuCidre/Cedar and Helene/Heleine/Ellen Boucher/Bouchet/Bushey) and Charlotte H. Watson (the daughter of Ernest Watson and Eliza Elizabeth Howcroft). James was born in Kent, Ontario, Canada, of French-Canadian descent. Charlotte was born in Michigan, to English parents.

Glenn’s maternal grandparents were George Dewey Markham (the son of John Markham and Lucy Sue Scott) and Edith May/Mae McVey (the daughter of Sanford Jackson McVey and Mable Claire Dean). Lucy was the daughter of Mandaville Jackson Scott and Rebecca Ann Cooper.

Glenn’s paternal grandparents, James Edward Cedar and Charlotte H. Watson, on the 1920 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org

Glenn’s paternal grandfather, James Edward Cedar, on the 1901 Canadian Census – http://data2.collectionscanada.ca

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks, Soda.

Just a small addition to the thread.
    From Ancestry.com, I found where Glenn's mom married Robert Cedar, Glenn's biological dad, in March, 1946. She married Edward Frey in September, 1951. I didn't see where the marriage dates were listed anywhere on this thread. His mother's obituary is also on www.findagrave.com.

And a fun tidbit: They were listed in the Royal Oak City Directory in 1958. Just thought I'd share these little factoids since I came across them.

Stuck on the Border

Thank You Pippin ! Interesting, Glenn was almost 3(he would be 3 in Nov.) when his Mom remarried.
    Soda had some cute stories about Glenn's Mom & step-dad's honeymoon in Niagara Falls. If I remember right, they took baby Glenn with them.

Is Glenn's Dad still alive ? He must be in his 90's by now.

@NKIT -- I think he must be. He would be 91 or so. I haven't found any evidence to suggest he's passed on.

I don't know if extended family are invited to attend the Kennedy Center Honors but I would imagine so because it is quite an exceptional honor. I wonder if Glenn's dad was able to go? Anyone know?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Dawn - I wondered that too. However, when your into your 90's traveling 3,000 miles(from Calif. where he lives) can be difficult. I wonder if his two brothers attended the KCH.

SIDE QUESTION : Soda I had read somewhere Glenn spoke French. Is this true ? Just wondering. Do you know if he ever met or had a relationship with his biolog. father ? He would have only been 1 or 2 when his they separated/ divorced.