Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Random Victims, Pt 3

Banned

Default Re: Random Victims, Pt 3

Quote Originally Posted by The Silk Scarf Monkey
    Hotel California sounds like Glenn to me, also because when the song stops he immediately starts talking

I hear some Glenn in the Wait wait wait part, and some Tim too! The “we love to” at the beginning is most obvious Tim

I would say the squib after King of Hollywood is Joe

Before he does the squib thing, you hear two voices saying squib/scrib, the first time being Glenn and the second one seems like one of the Dons (I guess) so I would say Joe does the squib thing, also because it sounds most like him. On the other hand, the high voice that sings KOH toghether with Don Henley seems like the same guy who does the squibbing, and the singing doesn’t sound like Joe to me! More like Glenn…

My favorite part is Joe Walsh singing PMAIAR, it’s hilarious

So far The Silk Scarf Monkey’s research
    I think Hotel California is Glenn too but it could be Don H.

Wait, Wait, Wait is every body. They all know a lot about waiting around. Tim's bass is prominent, I wonder who's playing the keyboard?
    Felder, Frey, Walsh and Vitale are the main suspects and it sounds too intricate to be one of the singers.

"Squib"... sounds like Miss Piggy to me, is in my opinion, Glenn. His King Of Hollywood harmony sounds a bit rough, I think he was accentuating the imperfection, so to speak. I think Szymczyk suggests he take a break.

These recordings are from Bill Szymczyk, who'd have a cassette deck recording everything, constantly while he was in the studio. He got the "4 songs 'til I kick your ass" on stage in 1981 too. He must have more gems stored somewhere, particularly since the digital recording has become the norm.

Out on the Border

Thumbs up Re: Random Victims, Pt 3

Hi there FUNK 50
    I think the keyboard player might be either Frey or Walsh. Not quite sure but in know that they both were accredited for playing these instruments on various records.

Banned

Hi LyinEyesInTheFastLane, it sounds like Glenn and Joe are singing. It's a complicated keyboard part to sing along with. Felder is credited as a Keyboard player on the track The Long Run but Joe Vitale is playing the keys during the studio based video. I've never seen Felder playing keyboards. Vitale is an accomplished keyboard player.

I reckon I can spot Walsh's guitar but I'm stumped with keyboard parts. Even Frey's left-handedness doesn't really add any clarity. His synth solo for Teenage Jail was a revelation!

Out on the Border

Yes I agree . You've raised some good points here and it's got me stumped also Does anyone else have any ideas?

Stuck on the Border

Here's my take.

The keyboard playing for "Wait, wait, wait" is simple one-finger playing, so it could be anyone (including Felder who says he played keyboard for the first time on record on "The Long Run").

The "scrib" seems like Glenn to me, especially given the context. It seems like it could have been a genuine attempt to record "King of Hollywood" and he developed a creak in his voice. Then Don suggests he takes a break. The next bit has the "scrib" asking "the pavanne" what does he think which gets a response of "All right" which I think is Bill. When it came to laying down the lead vocal track, I think it would have been just those three in the studio (and possibly an engineer).

A lot of the spoken stuff is Glenn, proving himself as the guy who talks a lot. That includes the dedication for Billy Frank Szymczyck "you got your AQ... you got your curly hair..."

"Rub your tummy with linseed oil" could be Bill. He has a deeper voice than anyone in the band.

The "my nerves are fried" has more than one person. My guess is it starts with Glenn "my nerves are fried from drinking and being in lurve ..." and Joe starts to come in at about 2:54 and several people contribute lines, including Don Felder. "Do it too good, we'll have to write lyrics to it" sounds like Glenn.

I wondered if "scrib" was a cartoon character but I've found no matches so maybe it was just part of their private band language.

As for why someone would call Bill, "Pavanne", he produced Joe Walsh's "So What?" album which included "Pavanne for the Sleeping Beauty" (I know that links it with Joe, too, but Bill works better for context).

I always thought the "my nerves are fried from drinkin' and bein' in love" was Don Henley. It sounds so Texan, lol, but Glenn could do that accent if he wanted, so who knows.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I always thought the "my nerves are fried" line was Joe.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I always thought the "my nerves are fried from drinkin' and bein' in love" was Don Henley. It sounds so Texan, lol, but Glenn could do that accent if he wanted, so who knows.
    It could be Don. I realise I can't think of a time when I've heard him putting on a "voice" but there are enough pictures that show him messing around to make it likely that he did.

I heard him put on an "old man" voice one time, but I can't remember where!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I've just had a little search to see if anyone has put the lyrics to Random Victims,Pt 3 on the internet.

I've only found the first line;

"Just don't die before we get this track started"
    It should be "Just don't die before we get this track Szymczyk, it'll upset the whole schedule" Spoken by Joe. Laughter from Glenn and others.

Sorry to be a pedant UnderTheWire, you know I can't help it, but wouldn't it be EQ rather than AQ and Szymczyk didn't actually produce Joe's Pavanne. Bill produced Song For Emma. The rest of the So What album was produced by John Stronach. I dunno why Glenn refers to Bill as Pavanne, if that is indeed what he says.

The "My nerves are fried" line I thought was Henley. "I'm not as bad as you guys say I am" sounds like something Henley would say but I wouldn't think of him moaning about being pernickety. He was known for being the most pernickety guy in the band, so maybe it's Glenn

Don does an old man voice during the Teenage Jail bit. He does a few Monty Python voices too or is it Glenn?