Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Beatles

There is no such thing as a bad Beatles album. As well as In My Life Rubber Soul contains one of my top ten favourite songs, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) as well as Girl, which I heard yesterday, & You Won't See Me. I could just sit here & list song after song & I wouldn't get tired of it.

I'm not sure Norwegian Wood would be in my top ten but probably at least in my top twenty, it's got some of my favorite lyrics

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I agree with this; I have struggled with the apparent orthodox line John = good; Paul = bad. The best solo Beatles album is Band On The Run; it is far more enjoyable than the sacred but didactic Imagine.

(There is a solo Eagles parallel here but I'm not going into that).
    I agree. Paul put out more in his solo career than John, and his quality was better, too. Paul has always been more of a melodist. I find John's work to be more experimental, but makes you think. I love them both for what they offer (offered). But, I always lean more towards Paul's songs when it comes to Solo-Beatles music.

And, I love George Harrison's solo work, too.

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

I first started heavily listening to the Beatles in late 1994, when their Anthology was airing on TV and the albums were out at the same time. Beatlemania was being resurrected with more oldies stations playing their music.

I think what astounded me was how much they changed with their musical styles over the course of ten years. They paved the way for so many others to experiment and be a truly relevant rock band.

My favorite album of theirs is the White Album, and Abbey Road is right behind it - although, sometimes I switch those two around depending on my mood!

I used to name "Hey Jude" my favorite song by the Beatles, but now, I can't quite pin point which one I deem my all time favorite. It really is dependent on my mood!

I came to Beatles only 2-3 years ago and knew nothing about them but I've loved them fanatically since then I don't have a favorite album but rather favorite songs, I haven't felt any big urge to listen to their solo works though I quite like Imagine album(and song!), I respect McCartney a lot for what he's done during his solo years, it's just not the kind of stuff I'd take a big interest in

Stuck on the Border

You should at least have a listen to Band On The Run, which is one of the greatest albums ever made.

His latest album New is also worth a listen.

I probably will at some point, also I did like songs off of Tug of War when I tried it on YT some time ago

Stuck on the Border

Here is a link to the Paul McCartney thread. I listed my favourite songs but not my favourite albums. I don't actually have that many.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=1772

I would just like to put in a plug for George Harrison. He was an extremely gifted song writer whose talents,in the Beatles early years, was mostly put on the back burner by the record companies. They wanted Lennon and McCartney churning out the hits because that's where the money was. In later years when given more of an opportunity Harrison composed songs that certainly rivaled Lennon and McCartney's contributions! Just to name a very few "Something", "Here Comes The Sun",and" While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Also while being an adequate, but not great, guitar player his contributions to the Beatles sound is undeniable. He had the ability to harmonize so well with either Lennon or McCartney when the other sang lead and his voice blended well when they sang in three part harmony.

I agree Harrison was much better than he ever got credit for and he's Beatle as well as solo songs like My Sweet Lord are first rate