Thread: RIP Threads: In general

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default RIP Threads: In general

I haven't responded to all of the RIP threads, because some artists and other famous people have touched my life more than others. I don't feel it's quite right making a direct comment in all cases.

However, I wish to convey my sympathies to those who have lost someone who (as artists can be) is important to them in their life.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: RIP Threads: In general

As it's come up I sometimes think there are far too many of these threads. Perhaps it's because many of them are Americans whom I've never heard of (particularly minor actors & TV stars). I wouldn't start an RIP thread for an Australian celebrity because it would be meaningless to others (unless you count Malcolm Young).

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

There aren't a huge number of us active posters here. Hence, I personally feel that it's fine for people to post RIP threads for artists (etc.) for whom they feel a personal connection. There are certain artists for whom I'd post a RIP thread even if they aren't well known, because I'd want to say something on their passing.

But, that's just my personal feeling. I'm not saying that others should agree.

I don't see a problem with the number of threads. It's not as if there's a finite number the forum can hold. If people want to post a thread for a celebrity because he/she means something to them, then that's the kind of thing this subforum is for. If someone doesn't feel comfortable replying, then they don't have to, nor should they feel obligated to explain their lack of response.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Totally agree. I posted about Grant Hart though I realise not many people would know him. He was a great songwriter and a personal friend.

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

Yeah, I wrote a RIP thread about a year ago about Curtis Hanson who directed LA Confidential, and I got very few or no responses. You could think of it as a way to introduce people to an artist that you cared a lot about, so at least they won't be forgotten entirely.

Stuck on the Border

SS - I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Grant Hart. My sympathies to you and his family.