Page 10 of 166 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't join you in your celebrations. I accept that they are within their rights to move forward and to call themselves "Eagles". I also accept that there are many people who are looking forward to any version of the band, just as there are people who love Don Felder's tribute band. I can be thankful that Don, Joe and Timothy are still able and willing to perform. However, I do not feel like clapping and cheering; rather I feel sad and a little disappointed. I'm hoping that Don, Joe or Timothy will be able to give an explantion that will make sense of it for me.
    Indeed.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Nice to see it finally confirmed and that is a great line up of other classic rock bands. I've had more time to think over it and it's their decision. I'm still surprised by it and never thought I'd see them perform as the Eagles again but it's not a full tour and so far just this festival. They're going to do what they're going to do. Will be interesting if they perform Glenn's songs or not.

Also I did wonder if this was connected to the 60s themed one at Coachella last year as they said next year's would be 70s themed. Doesn't look like it is so that might be happening too in the fall.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, let me begin by saying that I am a life-long Eagles fan and was heartbroken by the loss of Glenn Frey last year. As a fan who has attended several dozen shows over the last decade, it is devastating to know I’ll never see another live performance by my favorite band ever again.

In response to a resumption of the Eagles, it is, no doubt, a very controversial topic. There are some fans who will be elated while others will be repulsed. Both are entitled to their feelings, but let's try to be respectful of both sides.

However, while I haven't responded in this thread up to this point, I can say with certainty that I don’t have to wait for any announcement to know how I feel about this. To be honest, the possibility of the Eagles performing or recording without Glenn causes me much anxiety – the mere thought almost sickens me. I would feel the very same way if this was Don we were talking about. I don’t have to remind anyone that these two men are the only members who were in the band from its inception and are responsible for co-writing and singing most of the band’s hits. I fully support Don, Joe, and Timothy forging on with their solo careers or in collaborative projects with other musicians for as long as they wish to do so. However, there are only three scenarios where I would find a band resumption acceptable:

1. They perform only a handful of shows billed as a tribute to Glenn with possible guests appearances.
    2. They perform only a handful of shows with Deacon filling in for his father.
    3. They perform together occasionally under another name.

But, speaking only for myself, I believe it will reflect very badly on the remaining band members if they choose to continue performing being marketed and billed as the Eagles without Glenn. Can we say the appearance of greed, disrespect, deceit, and poor taste for starters? If this happens, I can definitively say:

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

I am quite ambivalent about this, primarily because I strongly believe that the Eagles without Glenn are not really the Eagles. In that respect, it just doesn't seem right.

On the other hand, though, when I saw Don, Joe, and Timothy at the Kennedy Center Honors Ceremony, it made me very sad to think they wouldn't be touring together again. In my mind, they belong together, as well as Bernie and the members of the backup band. (Although I loved seeing Don solo and would see Joe and Timothy solo, given the right price and venue.)

The bottom line is that there is most likely a huge financial difference in touring using the Eagles name and not using it. Of course, they could use a billing like, "Formerly of the Eagles" to lessen the gap a bit. I do think that Don and Joe and probably Timothy don't really need the money. Still, I remember a few years ago, when Glenn was still alive, Don stating that when they were planning their tours, they were taking into account that a lot of other people were financially dependent on their tours. I'm not sure if that was a factor in this decision or not, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind.

So, yes, I'm ambivalent, but my ambivalence will not stop me from trying to get tickets because I love these guys. I have to be honest and admit that if we had lost Don and not Glenn, I might feel differently. I don't know think I would, but it's possible.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I've gone through all the concerts on Eagles.com (great to see loads of solo concerts listed there), Don H's website. Joe's website and Twitter. Tim's website. Irving Azoff's twitter.

There is no 'news' that Eagles are getting back together in any of these locations. I do not think that lack of a disconfirmation means that this is confirmed. I continue to wait for official confirmation that Eagles will play at these festivals, or anywhere else.

There is no confirmation that I can see. Can anyone find actual confirmation that the Eagles will play again? As until there is confirmation, I don't believe this.

I'm sorry, I can't join you in your celebrations. I accept that they are within their rights to move forward and to call themselves "Eagles". I also accept that there are many people who are looking forward to any version of the band, just as there are people who love Don Felder's tribute band. I can be thankful that Don, Joe and Timothy are still able and willing to perform. However, I do not feel like clapping and cheering; rather I feel sad and a little disappointed. I'm hoping that Don, Joe or Timothy will be able to give an explantion that will make sense of it for me.
    Understood!

Remeber, as one wise soul instructed me years ago during a very stressful time in my life: In the end, it's not about the ever-illussive whys, it's about the what. It kindda gets down to them asking themselves the ever-so-complex and soul searching question: What do I do now?

Peace and my compassion. I sort of see it like LindseyB. in Castaway Dreams: "hearts will break with choices we must make...there's been a change in plans...look for (the Eagles in this case) in the morning light dancing on (their) castaway dreams."

Stay Tuned
    CarolC

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, let me begin by saying that I am a life-long Eagles fan and was heartbroken by the loss of Glenn Frey last year. As a fan who has attended several dozen shows over the last decade, it is devastating to know I’ll never see another live performance by my favorite band ever again.

In response to a resumption of the Eagles, it is, no doubt, a very controversial topic. There are some fans who will be elated while others will be repulsed. Both are entitled to their feelings, but let's try to be respectful of both sides.

However, while I haven't responded in this thread up to this point, I can say with certainty that I don’t have to wait for any announcement to know how I feel about this. To be honest, the possibility of the Eagles performing or recording without Glenn causes me much anxiety – the mere thought almost sickens me. I would feel the very same way if this was Don we were talking about. I don’t have to remind anyone that these two men are the only members who were in the band from its inception and are responsible for co-writing and singing most of the band’s hits. I fully support Don, Joe, and Timothy forging on with their solo careers or in collaborative projects with other musicians for as long as they wish to do so. However, there are only three scenarios where I would find a band resumption acceptable:

1. They perform only a handful of shows billed as a tribute to Glenn with possible guests appearances.
    2. They perform only a handful of shows with Deacon filling in for his father.
    3. They perform together occasionally under another name.

But, speaking only for myself, I believe it will reflect very badly on the remaining band members if they choose to continue performing being marketed and billed as the Eagles without Glenn. Can we say the appearance of greed, disrespect, deceit, and poor taste for starters? If this happens, I can definitively say:

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!
    I agree with you, Dreamer, on all points except Deacon filling in for his father. I just doesn't feel right to me somehow.

I believe that ship sailed after Felder was fired and the Eagles became a touring act with only 2 original members who were also the only 2 on 4/6 albums from their classic era--the source of much of their set list. I realize they had the LROOE album/tour but that work doesn't seem to resonate with the general public or casual fans the way the other albums and songs have. As was pointed out in a recent thread about The Girl From Yesterday being dropped, the entire LROOE track list was dropped. The band must have shrugged their shoulders and realized it's the classic hits people want to hear.

This touring act of the last 15 years relied heavily on their 70s hits, most of which were created and recorded with former members who were forgotten and/or dismissed. There was also heavy reliance on Joe's solo work, as well as backing musicians discreetly adding their vocals to those Eagles harmonies.

What I'm trying to say is I don't believe those who buy tickets to see the band perform this summer should be judged any differently from those who bought tickets to see the touring act the Eagles became over the last decade+. An argument can be made for excepting the HOTE tour.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

LuvTim, what a sweet thing to say! You're welcome.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I believe that ship sailed after Felder was fired and the Eagles became a touring act with only 2 original members who were also the only 2 on 4/6 albums from their classic era--the source of much of their set list. I realize they had the LROOE album/tour but that work doesn't seem to resonate with the general public or casual fans the way the other albums and songs have. As was pointed out in a recent thread about The Girl From Yesterday being dropped, the entire LROOE track list was dropped. The band must have shrugged their shoulders and realized it's the classic hits people want to hear.

This touring act of the last 15 years relied heavily on their 70s hits, most of which were created and recorded with former members who were forgotten and/or dismissed. There was also heavy reliance on Joe's solo work, as well as backing musicians discreetly adding their vocals to those Eagles harmonies.

What I'm trying to say is I don't believe those who buy tickets to see the band perform this summer should be judged any differently from those who bought tickets to see the touring act the Eagles became over the last decade+. An argument can be made for excepting the HOTE tour.
    I could accept this except for two things - those two remaining members not only founded the band, but wrote and had lead vocals for almost all those hits. The band started out trying to be democratic and equal for all members, but it didn't work for many reasons, including the fact that their contributions WEREN'T equal. Even aside from the fact that he founded the band and was band leader, the loss of Glenn to the band is a much, much bigger loss than that of Bernie, Randy or Felder. The loss of Glenn's lead vocals alone leaves a huge hole in any Eagles concert, IMHO, not to mention his backup harmonies and guitar playing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lessening what any of those guys gave to the band. I love all the Eagles, past and present. in varying degrees, not least because they were/are extremely talented musicians, but I don't see how anyone can argue that their contributions to the band were equal. (Although I'm sure some will. LOL!)