Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Just a few quick lines to say WE HAD A FABULOUS TIME at Glenn's final gig of this leg of the tour. He was in great form, sang superbly and had a few surprises up his sleeve. Nancy and I had front row seats - we could almost touch him! Better review and pics to follow as its now 2:45 am.

It was didficult to organise but I am just sooooo glad and grateful that I was able to take this opportunity. It is a decision I will never regret!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Hi all.

I have four words. The Heat Is On. Now I am going to bed!

Glad to hear Glenn was in great form. I had a hunch that he would be for this show (for all of you)! Can't wait to hear the details & see the pics!!!

I'm so happy that you all had a fantastic time! Can't wait To hear more!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

I'm in the airport at Las Vegas now waiting for my connecting flight, and I had to come on and add a few comments. I didn't post last night because we got back from Dan Tana's around 2 am or so and I had to be up for a 6:55 flight , so I tried to grab what sleep I could. I overslept but luckily GA woke me up and I made my flight with just minutes to spare! BTW Glenn's promotion is getting results. I am wearing my After Hours shirt and while I struck a pose to be scanned, the security officer - a big black man - read my shirt and commented he had read about Glenn's new album in the LA Times and thought he would check it out. Of course I encouraged him to do so enthusiastically, lol.

Last night was very special. There was the orchestra which added a depth that enhanced the show, but since this is Glenn's adopted hometown, there were other cool additions. His son Otis was playing percussion on YBTTC. He was a hoot because he was hamming it up back there, waving his arms on occasion like he was doing some kind of tribal thing. Dang, time flies. That little kid who almost ran over me four years ago at Manhattan Beach Lodge now looks like a miniature Deacon. Speaking of family moments, Glenn said "This one's for Cindy" before launching into "For Sentimental Reasons." He always puts heart into it but that dedication made it extra sweet.

He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent. I went into the show not even liking this song but he sold it so well I wound up giving him a standing ovation for it - and I wasn't the only one!

To my delight, Glenn said he was going to tell different jokes this time and, while a couple remained, what he mostly did was tell stories about the songs. GA and I were in the perfect position because when he told the stories, he was angled to where he was looking right at us. Very cool!

Celeb sightings : Jack Tempchin was there and got a shout out from Glenn. I saw him in the lobby but was unable to get his attention and thus left him alone. I didn't want to be a nuisance by chasing after the man, despite how sweet he was to me in Nashville several months ago. I doubt he remembers that anyway. Irving Azoff and his wife Shelli were also there and got a shout out. Glenn was dissing his old label MCA - which he called "Music Cemetary of America" - and added "That was before they were run by Irving Azoff, my manager, who is here with his manager Shelli." lol! I almost plowed into Mr. Azoff when I was leaving but managed to avoid that ignominious exit by dodging to the left, at which point I had to do some fancy footwork to avoid knocking over Mrs. Azoff. She seemed very sweet and smiled at me as I bobbed and weaved rather than looking annoyed, which I appreciated! Another sighting on the way out was Robert Wuhl of Arli$$ fame.

Back to the show while I have a little time; more will be added later. Glenn was vocally very strong and the most animated I've seen him this tour.

Ack, we're already boarding! Later, alligators!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent.
    I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT!! I'm thinking about crying over it! I seriously seriously hope he does more shows on this side of the Atlantic AND keeps that song in the setlist.

I'm glad the show went so well and I'm really glad you all had a good time. Can't wait to hear more...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Soda, thank you for posting & telling us a bit about the show. I'm so anxious to hear about it! I'm glad that it was such a special show! FP & GA must be over the moon!

Is Otis a permanent member of his Dad's band now? I remember thinking when we saw him in Aspen how sweet he was!

Speaking of family moments, Glenn said "This one's for Cindy" before launching into "For Sentimental Reasons." He always puts heart into it but that dedication made it extra sweet.
    I love to hear about him saying & doing things like that. What a caring husband he is!

Cool that you saw Jack Tempchin & the Azoff's!

He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent. I went into the show not even liking this song but he sold it so well I wound up giving him a standing ovation for it - and I wasn't the only one!
    I think I would have passed right out of the picture after hearing the ending "here's to you".

Thanks again for posting. I hope you can get some rest before you have to go to work!

OMG..little Otis hitting the drums...how special is that???
    Can't wait for the pics and more fab reviews....you are VERY lucky girls...

I guess "little" Otis isn't so little anymore! This is absoultely precious!

Back in Memphis. I have an out-of- town friend arriving any minute, so I probably won't be able to post much.... But let me just say I think GA's photos are gonna be a big hit around here!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten