Page 73 of 92 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    In a dream tribute concert Bernie would do Most Us Are Sad. It's an important song in the Eagles history, because it's the song that made Glyn Johns aware of their great harmony vocals (isn't it?). Plus Bernie has said nice things about the song. Bernie probably would have to sing it in a lower key though.
    I don’t think that was the song that made Glyn Johns aware of the harmonies. But I have seen so many different songs being the “one” that made him love the band. People have said take it easy, the silver dagger intro, early bird demo etc

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I'm not able to suggest what Don, Joe and Tim would each say during a concert to eulogize/recognize Glenn. But, I am willing to take a stab at a dream Memorial Concert - here's my first pass at it - feel free to make edits/additions or make your own:

Location - Has to be LA

Time - summer, 6:00 p.m.

Venue - Hollywood Bowl if I'm charging fans for tickets. If it is free to fans, then Dodger Stadium. The Forum is dark and depressing so no.

Host - Sheryl Crow. I think there has to be a host because of different bands coming on stage, it can't just be awkward silence. She would know most of the performers and then she could perform. I had a hard time with this. Who else could host?

Performers - Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Jack Tempchin(?), Sheryl Crow, Fleetwood Mac, Willie Nelson, Harry Styles/Niall Horan, Timothy w/Poco and one solo song, Joe, Don. Need: someone to represent Linda, someone R&B from Detroit, and an '80s contemporary of Glenn's solo music. Who else?

Merchandise - Yes - new Glenn stuff plus old Glenn stuff and Eagles stuff.

High quality video - Yes

Broadcast - Yes, but not live, too awkward. Perfectly edited. Preferably on Showtime but AXS would be fine too.

Album - Yes

Charities Benefited - those that fund music teachers, classes and instruments in poor neighborhoods in LA and NY

That's what I've got so far, its a work in progress.
    Sounds good to me...I'd add Bernie and JD Souther and take out Willie Nelson and the former members of One Direction (yes, I know, they were/are friendly with Glenn and Henley, but, ugh). I'd add Deacon to this too. A thought on the charities, what about organizations for RA or UC? I know Glenn worked with an RA charity.

I'd also like to see someone closer to Glenn host. I think Henley or Joe would be appropriate, or maybe Bob Seger.

I would change the broadcast on Showtime to another channel (but only because I don't have it, lol).

Bernie and JD are no-brainer inclusions. Definitely they should be there. JD just performed in my area last month; unfortunately I wasn’t able to go but yes, he’s still performing,

Possible other choices: Donald Fagen, Little River Band, Jimmy Buffett, Travis Tritt, Dixie Chicks.

How would folks feel about Vince Gill performing one of his own songs? He was a friend of Glenn’s after all.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I don’t think that was the song that made Glyn Johns aware of the harmonies. But I have seen so many different songs being the “one” that made him love the band. People have said take it easy, the silver dagger intro, early bird demo etc
    Not sure what “people” you are referring to, but Glyn Johns said in his own autobiography that it was “Most of Us Are Sad.” Good idea, Chaim, btw.

ETA: if Poco includes Richie Furay, then they should be included. Otherwise, Richie Furay solo would be an appropriate addition.
    Last edited by Delilah; 04-04-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I think the Hollywood Bowl is a great venue idea and the West Coast makes good sense though there are certainly other venues on both coasts and in between that could/would work.

Getting back to the issue of the current tour it seems to me it is more likely that any changes made to the show would focus on the setlist and perhaps one or more Vince Gill songs added.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Sounds good to me...I'd add Bernie and JD Souther and take out Willie Nelson and the former members of One Direction (yes, I know, they were/are friendly with Glenn and Henley, but, ugh). I'd add Deacon to this too. A thought on the charities, what about organizations for RA or UC? I know Glenn worked with an RA charity.
    I'd also like to see someone closer to Glenn host. I think Henley or Joe would be appropriate, or maybe Bob Seger.
    I would change the broadcast on Showtime to another channel (but only because I don't have it, lol).
    I agree with all the above. And, no Showtime as I don't get it either - lol.
    I think it would be very appropriate for RA and UC to among the charities. I would love t see Bob MC as he knew Glenn the longest. And, Bernie would be a must too.

Mary - Great idea !

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Bob Seger would be a better host - for sure.

I included the One Direction guys because there should be at least one current popular band or artist - shouldn't there be? Someone under, say, 40 who is influenced by and admires Glenn? Trying to get a broad swath of the music industry...

I thought of Travis Tritt also.

Ringo Starr? I know he's close to Timothy and Joe, but am not sure about Glenn. The participation of a Beatle would certainly bring acclaim to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Bernie and JD are no-brainer inclusions. Definitely they should be there. JD just performed in my area last month; unfortunately I wasn’t able to go but yes, he’s still performing,

Possible other choices: Donald Fagen, Little River Band, Jimmy Buffett, Travis Tritt, Dixie Chicks.

How would folks feel about Vince Gill performing one of his own songs? He was a friend of Glenn’s after all.

Not sure what “people” you are referring to, but Glyn Johns said in his own autobiography that it was “Most of Us Are Sad.” Good idea, Chaim, btw.

ETA: if Poco includes Richie Furay, then they should be included. Otherwise, Richie Furay solo would be an appropriate addition.
    Wow I’m surprised that’s the song. I personally like the song but it isn’t the best showcase for their voices imo. It just doesn’t have a ton of harmonies or ones that are as prominent as say take it easy. Thanks for the correction

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

The current 'Little River Band' includes precisely none of the members Glenn worked with in 1988 except for Wayne Nelson.

Although Glenn loved Steely Dan, he never worked with Donald Fagen. Neither did he ever work with Willie Nelson. Same for Ringo, whereas I have a photo of him with Paul.

Harry Styles is a very talented young man & would be a good idea.

Regarding Gill, friend or not, I don't believe it would be appropriate for him to be part of any tribute. And also, at a tribute to Glenn Frey, why on earth would he do one of his own songs?

I am least grateful to MC for making these suggestions. The problem is Glenn just did not collaborate with many musicians. There was Jay Oliver, who was very prominent on the Strange Weather album.

RANDY NEWMAN. Don Was.

Oh, and then there is Danny Grenier. Enough said.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The current 'Little River Band' includes precisely none of the members Glenn worked with in 1988 except for Wayne Nelson.

Although Glenn loved Steely Dan, he never worked with Donald Fagen. Neither did he ever work with Willie Nelson. Same for Ringo, whereas I have a photo of him with Paul. Willie Nelson had a Glenn-written song on 3 of his albums. I was trying to think of an older country legend active in the early 70s in the genre of Johnny Cash or Dolly Parton to represent the more country-sounding of the early Eagles' work

Harry Styles is a very talented young man & would be a good idea. His Saturday Night Live impression of Mick Jagger made me love him forever. And really good singer

Regarding Gill, friend or not, I don't believe it would be appropriate for him to be part of any tribute. And also, at a tribute to Glenn Frey, why on earth would he do one of his own songs?

I am least grateful to MC for making these suggestions. The problem is Glenn just did not collaborate with many musicians . There was Jay Oliver, who was very prominent on the Strange Weather album.

RANDY NEWMAN. Excellent addition to the concertDon Was.

Oh, and then there is Danny Grenier. Enough said.
    My thoughts are in line above

Musician friends organized two tribute concerts in memory of Tom Petty. I posted the details/links in Tom's thread.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...778#post374778

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016