Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Just sharing: duh hubs gifted me with a copy of Sheila Weller's book, Girls Like Us, for Mother's Day, so I'm now beginning to read that. I think I remember a few of you on here commenting on how much you enjoyed it.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That was a fascinating book, Luv! Hope you dig it. The book was very well-researched although Weller doesn't know about the Mitchell-Frey amour. She should have interviewed some of our Borderers

AG, Mick Fleetwood does talk about the more recent years in the band's triumphs and travails. I'm now in the early 1990s portion. "Oh dear" is all one can say. Had no idea they'd experienced such depths.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That was a fascinating book, Luv! Hope you dig it. The book was very well-researched although Weller doesn't know about the Mitchell-Frey amour. She should have interviewed some of our Borderers

AG, Mick Fleetwood does talk about the more recent years in the band's triumphs and travails. I'm now in the early 1990s portion. "Oh dear" is all one can say. Had no idea they'd experienced such depths.

She doesn't write about Joni and Glenn? Rats. I was looking forward to getting some more info about that.

I have noticed, just by glancing through the photos and skimming the index, etc., that James Taylor seems to be an obvious unifying link amongst the ladies of this book, and I'm betting, amongst a lot of the ladies of the whole rock and roll scene. And who can blame them? Have you seen the cover photo for his album, Sweet Baby James? Whoo! Lol...

Very much so. One Amazon reviewer snarked that there's so much JT content in the book, he should have been included in the title as well. One wonders though: how great of a lover could a regular heroin user (addict, by his own description) have been? I merely ask

The person who ended up intriguing me the most was Carole King. Especially as she got older, she really stepped off the curb so to speak and made highly unconventional choices in her lifestyle. Enigmatic, soulful, feisty, brilliant, sometimes tragic - what a broad.

Let us know your impressions, LuvTim.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I think I'll search the local libraries, and see if they have that book.

I must admit that I haven't heard of the Girls Like Us book before.

I've just started reading 1356 by Bernard Cornwell, which is one of his 4 historical fiction books about the Holy Grail. It takes place in the title year in France.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

They're threatening to make a movie out of the Weller book. I think it would have to be a mini-series at least, because all three women had very eventful personal lives as well as stellar careers. It could all go very wrong and over-the-top, like Valley of the Dolls but with much better music.

They're threatening to make a movie out of the Weller book. I think it would have to be a mini-series at least, because all three women had very eventful personal lives as well as stellar careers. It could all go very wrong and over-the-top, like Valley of the Dolls but with much better music.
    LOL!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've just started reading A Midsummer Night's Scream by RL Stine. It's his modern retelling of the Shakespeare classic. I bought it from a local library because of the who the author is. There's some romance in the book. I hope that it doesn't overpower the scary and supernatural aspects of the book.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

My next audiobook will be "The Painted Veil" by W. Somerset Maugham. I also have a paperback of Dr. Jenny Boyd's book "It's Not Only Rock 'n Roll" exploring the creative spark of musicians and from whence it cometh, for a flight and what I anticipate may be a lengthy wait at the airport.

I really enjoyed Mr. Fleetwood's book and was rewarded in the final chapters with a lot of info on my fave member, the complex and enigmatic Christine. It really sounds as if she had more than "just" a crippling case of flying phobia, but shut herself away for over 15 years and was on her own a lot. She was cut off from music and to a large extent other people, at least to hear Mick tell it. Very glad to hear she's overcome all that and is enjoying an adventurous life once again.

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

I just downloaded Steve Williams' Out of the Rough. He's caddied for Greg Norman, Tiger Woods, and Adam Scott...to name a few. Looking forward to the read.