Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

Default Re: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

I don't like the old place that much either, for a number of reasons.

Something you may not know - a grim, dark piece of rock history....

In 1979, U S Bank Arena was known as Riverfront Coliseum.

On December 3rd, 1979, eleven concertgoers were killed and 23 injured waiting to get into a concert by The Who. The band did a late soundcheck causing the crowd waiting outside in the bitter cold to surge forward to make a mad dash to get inside for first come, first served festival seating.

Except none of the doors were open.

People at the front of the line were trampled and died of "compressive asphyxia" (suffocation). The show went on. People who had reserved seats - and The Who - didn't know what happened until afterwards...

There is no memorial for those who died...on the very spot where the Eagles played last night.

A lot of people would like to tear the old barn down simply because of the tragedy that occurred. As VAisForEagleLovers said, parking is a nightmare if you don't know where you're going. The seats are tight and dinky, and it's used as a minor league hocky rink. With all the renovation down on the river I'm surprised there hasn't been a call for a new concert facility.

At least the Eagles were able to brighten the gloomy old place with their incredible concert...

BTW...Cincinnati is lobbying to have the 2016 Republican National Convention at U S Bank Arena.

Really?!
    Last edited by rick endres; 03-04-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks Rick and VA for your great reviews! Rick you have some great Eagles history!!

Sorry VA to hear about your frustration with parking.

Actually if the Republican National Convention is planning on being there that could be a good thing because they might throw money in to fix up the place. Let's hope that's what happens.

So sad to hear the horrific story of fans dying at The Who concert. I'm sure if they knew before hand they might have not played.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Just as sad as a Black Friday run for $20 DVD players at Walmart.

I met ChaleyMom last night. Got to the VIP dinner and wondered how I'd find her. I picked a table, not an empty one, but no one was there, put my stuff on it, then headed for the buffet line and there was a couple sitting there. I sat down and after some chitchat, the lady asked if I was, well, me! It was ChaleyMom! I'd given her a vague description of what I'd wear. We found it very ironic that in all the seats to choose from, I picked their table!

I forgot to mention...several of you on here will appreciate this. During the intro to OOTN I was watching Timothy (who was right in front of me) and out of the corner of my eye I notice Glenn facing Don and he's leaning forward, bending over a bit while playing, his back angled directly at me. The shirt moved up and my eyes were riveted! He stayed that way for several long, beautiful moments. It was suddenly very warm in the building, that's for sure!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I bet that sight is burned into your memory VA

Border Desperado

Just a few thoughts for now. I won't be home until Thursday ( after I see the Columbus concert). They sounded great. My seat was fantastic. Row 3 on the side and even with row 8 on the floor. I could see the entire stage with no one in front of me. I thought the crowd was a little laid back. Maybe it was all the warnings we got about pictures and videos and standing. Glenn said to have fun and be you self as long as you don't stand all the time and block others. More to come in a couple of days.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, thanks for your thoughts on the show. Glad you had a good time in spite of your parking nightmare....what a mess!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

So - what's that term you all use for the "after show letdown' or something? I told my daughter last night 'you know all the extreme anticipation of something you can't wait for - and then it's OVER!!???' I'm glad I still have memory left - and hope I keep the memories of this show for a long long time!
    As VA said - yes - it was so funny that we happened to sit at the same table for the VIP dinner! So nice to put a face to the name! We got some nice loot (VIP 2014 ballcap, nice scarf, belt buckle, money clip, tote bag, and a jean jacket (which they didn't have yet so they are shipping them to us) along with the cool VIP FRONT ROW lanyard. We also were handed a packet of guitar pics with the all the guys names on them when we sat down in our front row seats.
    We noticed the rolling camera stand was right in front of our seats, but the cameraman assured us he would only be there for the first 5 songs then he would move.
    As soon as the lights went down and the guys came on stage, I was like a little kid at my first circus! I could barely contain my excitement and couldn't believe how close we were. I wasn't sure how front row worked at the arena - for all I knew, the front row would still be pretty far behind barricades. (I guess I should have realized this wasn't one of THOSE concerts where the 'kids' would try to rush the stage.
    I agree with the previous reviews here - they sounded A M A Z I N G!!!! I was happy to see (and hear) they all could still hit those high notes! OMG - Don Henley is just incredible - well they all are of course. One hit after another after another..... and I was dancing and singing.... (my husband kept saying - 'I wish you were having a good time...' hah!) The harmonies were spectacular as usual (Lyin' Eyes.... oh man - the whole audience was singing).
    And how GOOD did they LOOK? Well - yes - they are definitely getting older and from the front row - you can see a LOT - but hey - most of US are getting older right along with them right? I just couldn't get over how close I was to Don, Glen, Tim and Joe!!! I was a little shocked to see Timothy so close and realize how SKINNY he is! Especially in his face. If they were truly sick - I certainly couldn't tell by their singing. Every note was spot-on!
    I was a little disappointed they didn't sing anything from LROOE - but, I heard those songs on the last tour.
    And did I mention Joe? OMG - what an amazing performer!!!! Sitting so close, it was so cool to see the details on the guitars and watch his fingers. Wow! He's incredible. When he did the helmet cam it was pretty cool to see ourselves on the big screen as he looked right at us. I forget which ones of you are big Joe fans - but I blew him a few kisses for ya while he was looking at us.
    I don't know when, or if I'll ever have this kind of experience again, but I was completely blown away. I did take some good pics (even though the 'arena police tried to stop us several times). If I can figure out how to put them on here I will later on.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

cm, wonderful review! I'm glad you had a good time! But, I knew you would!

As far as the pics, load them to photobucket first, then you can post them here easily.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Ok - I'm 99% sure I didn't do this right.... but here goes!

http://s576.photobucket.com/user/cha...?sort=3&page=1

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for the review and the pictures CM, they certainly gave you a load of souvenirs. Glad you had such a wonderful time. It's hard to get back to normal after an experience like that. We call it PEW! Or 'Post Eagles Withdrawal'.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP