Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

Default Re: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

It was one of those "If only I knew then what I know now" situations. Several weeks later I got a call from Jody, one of my fellow band members, and he said, "Turn on 'EBN (WEBN, the "album rock" station in those days). Remember that band we saw at Reflections?" I turned it on and got the tail end of a song. Apparently the switchboards had lit up, so the disc jockey played it again.

The song was "Take It Easy."

Now EVERYBODY knew who the Eagles were.

We went out and bought that album and a week and a half later we were playing acoustic versions of "Take It Easy," "Train Leaves Here," "Peaceful Easy Feelin'" and "Witchy Woman." Those songs went over like gangbusters - and they still do...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Rick, loved your review! Thanks so much and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I especially loved this part:

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
    This is the second time I’ve seen the Eagles. The first time was in 1971 on their very first tour before people knew who they were. They were playing small clubs and bars, and they landed at a club called Reflections (now a parking lot) in Clifton by the University of Cincinnati campus. They mingled with the crowd on breaks and I bought Don a beer (even though he got his for free) and told him, “I play in a band, too.”

Kids…

I had the unmitigated gall to tell Don Henley that I played in a band, too – and 43 years later I’m still playing in my band.

Oh – and Don’s still playing in his band, too!
    Wow! What a fabulous memory for you!

Timothy was all over the place; as they were leaving the stage he hopped out into the stands and started shaking hands.
    OMG! Unbelievable! Did he shake yours?

And welcome to the Border! Glad you found us!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Welcome Rick, thanks for the review!

Timothy shaking hands

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Rick, loved your review! Thanks so much and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I especially loved this part:

Wow! What a fabulous memory for you!

OMG! Unbelievable! Did he shake yours?

And welcome to the Border! Glad you found us!
    Thanks - glad to be here.

lol - I wish I could have been close enough to shake hands! I was in Row Q in the nosebleed section - the last row is Row R. I got my tickets a day before they went on sale to the general public. The website opened at 10:00 and I had tickets by 10:03 - best available. I was on a budget, though, so I was up in the second section. Still we were right above the stage and could see everything and had a great view of the video screen (and I'd pay good money to have a DVD of what I saw on that screen - great stuff!).

Timothy praised the fans all night just for being there. He was going out of his way to be accomodating. This is the second-worst winter we've ever had, and I was afraid we might have to go to the concert by dogsled! But the roads were clear and everything was great.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Welcome Rick! Great review and love your own bit of History with the Eagles. Hope you stay around now that you've found us.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Rick, welcome! Really appreciate your review!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Additional thoughts on the show, in no particular order:

Walking out last night, there were two guys behind me, talking about the concert. I heard one say that it was hard to believe they were sick, that he wouldn’t have noticed if they hadn’t said something. There was some talk about how old the Eagles are (these guys were fairly young) and how it was amazing that they could still sing well let alone THAT well. The harmonies, the pitch, the precision, all of it was spot-on and breathtakingly amazing (or they may have said ‘breathtaking and amazing’). The one who couldn’t believe they were sick said that he’d have to give Glenn’s voice a 97%. The other guy said that he’d been able to tell, and that Glenn’s voice had been less than 97%. He said that last night Glenn hit his notes and did everything right, but that at one of the shows in Chicago, his voice had been much stronger and more pure. It was interesting to hear their assessment.

When it was Don’s turn to talk before The Long Run, he mentioned the next song was about survival. I can’t remember his exact words leading up to this, but he said, “What you see up here, folks, is a miracle.” It got a lot of applause and a lot of agreement.

Plaintiff (the joke) made another appearance last night, and once again got a good laugh. I can envision Soda pulling her hair out now.

Scott Crago had some family or friends in the audience, and they were in the front row directly in front of me. At the end of the show, Glenn handed them picks, and they are the ones Timothy shook hands with first (the others around them just took advantage of the opportunity).

Just a little bit of negativity here, since the arena has an effect on the concert experience. US Bank Arena is an old arena. There’s still a lot of improvements that could be made without building a new arena. Like signs!! Seriously! I had VIP and was to park in the East garage. There were no signs with garage names. I assumed it would be on the east side of the arena, so I turned on the street after the arena thinking it would be there. Wrong! I ended up back in Kentucky and turning around and coming back. Then I realized the garage was across the street from the arena (on the east side). It was hard to see the entrance, by the time I did, I was in the wrong lane and couldn’t move over. A helpful Sheriff’s deputy suggested the back entrance, so I went to the back. There, they tried to tell me I had to pay for parking. I read the paper to them, they said that if the VIP pass didn’t include a real parking pass, then it wasn’t valid. I refused to pay the $20. He told me I had to because there were people behind me. He’d been extremely rude and patronizing, so I informed him that I wasn’t paying for parking that I already paid for with the ticket. He was not happy, but he got the people out of the way. As I drove around the block yet again, I got to see the buses, all six of them this time. I was told to use the East entrance. None of the entrances, that I could see, are on the ground level. None are marked as to the name of the entrance. Obviously, the East entrance is on the East side of the building, but it took me a long time to realize the doors were five levels in the air. In short, the people that work there were not helpful and there was virtually no one around to ask questions to. I sat in the parking garage for an hour after the concert, waiting to get out. It’s a shame, with no NHL hockey team or NBA Basketball team, the odds of them ever funding a new arena are slim and none.

Before the concert started, there were no rules about pictures. In fact, security was pretty vocal about how they had no way of stopping people from taking pictures, but if someone held a phone up for any length of time, they would say something. They said they wouldn’t stop people from taking pictures unless they took a lot of pictures. The lady beside me, across the aisle, did get spoken to, they asked her to stop texting. Her answer? “I’m on Facebook.” Seriously.

I have to say, Joe was on fire last night! He always is, but some nights are better than others, and especially on HC, he was simply amazing.

The concert was very definitely worth the drive up and back. I had trouble the last ten miles or so, I was so tired, but I guess prayer got me home safely. It’s a bit depressing to realize there are no concerts on my agenda and PEW is definitely beginning to set in!
    VK

They were sick? Never would have known! Glenn mentioned his cold, but it didn’t affect his singing. I told my son, “I wonder if he’ll sing ‘Already Gone’ if his voice is shaky?” Not only did he sing it, he nailed it – even the high “Who-hoo-hoo – my, my!” phrase. They were all phenomenal. Don’s voice was as strong as ever (high notes on “One of These Nights” were crystal clear), and Timothy is still hitting those stratospheric high harmonies. And Joe Walsh…well, Joe’s from another planet – maybe another dimension. He brought the house down. Was really pleased to see original guitarist Bernie Leadon with them – a real treat. I liked the whole History of the Eagles setup. I’ve seen a lot of phenomenal concerts in my time, but this one was the best ever – hands down.

The Eagles have been my favorite band for over 40 years. James Taylor and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young got me started singing and playing guitar but the Eagles got me into songwriting. I’m still singing, playing, and writing 43 years later, and still playing solo and with my band – and we play a lot of Eagles songs.

This is the second time I’ve seen the Eagles. The first time was in 1971 on their very first tour before people knew who they were. They were playing small clubs and bars, and they landed at a club called Reflections (now a parking lot) in Clifton by the University of Cincinnati campus. They mingled with the crowd on breaks and I bought Don a beer (even though he got his for free) and told him, “I play in a band, too.”

Kids…

I had the unmitigated gall to tell Don Henley that I played in a band, too – and 43 years later I’m still playing in my band.

Oh – and Don’s still playing in his band, too!
    Welcome Rick! Wow, you've got quite a story! How freaking cool!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Additional thoughts on the show, in no particular order:

Walking out last night, there were two guys behind me, talking about the concert. I heard one say that it was hard to believe they were sick, that he wouldn’t have noticed if they hadn’t said something. There was some talk about how old the Eagles are (these guys were fairly young) and how it was amazing that they could still sing well let alone THAT well. The harmonies, the pitch, the precision, all of it was spot-on and breathtakingly amazing (or they may have said ‘breathtaking and amazing’). The one who couldn’t believe they were sick said that he’d have to give Glenn’s voice a 97%. The other guy said that he’d been able to tell, and that Glenn’s voice had been less than 97%. He said that last night Glenn hit his notes and did everything right, but that at one of the shows in Chicago, his voice had been much stronger and more pure. It was interesting to hear their assessment.

When it was Don’s turn to talk before The Long Run, he mentioned the next song was about survival. I can’t remember his exact words leading up to this, but he said, “What you see up here, folks, is a miracle.” It got a lot of applause and a lot of agreement.

Plaintiff (the joke) made another appearance last night, and once again got a good laugh. I can envision Soda pulling her hair out now.

Scott Crago had some family or friends in the audience, and they were in the front row directly in front of me. At the end of the show, Glenn handed them picks, and they are the ones Timothy shook hands with first (the others around them just took advantage of the opportunity).

Just a little bit of negativity here, since the arena has an effect on the concert experience. US Bank Arena is an old arena. There’s still a lot of improvements that could be made without building a new arena. Like signs!! Seriously! I had VIP and was to park in the East garage. There were no signs with garage names. I assumed it would be on the east side of the arena, so I turned on the street after the arena thinking it would be there. Wrong! I ended up back in Kentucky and turning around and coming back. Then I realized the garage was across the street from the arena (on the east side). It was hard to see the entrance, by the time I did, I was in the wrong lane and couldn’t move over. A helpful Sheriff’s deputy suggested the back entrance, so I went to the back. There, they tried to tell me I had to pay for parking. I read the paper to them, they said that if the VIP pass didn’t include a real parking pass, then it wasn’t valid. I refused to pay the $20. He told me I had to because there were people behind me. He’d been extremely rude and patronizing, so I informed him that I wasn’t paying for parking that I already paid for with the ticket. He was not happy, but he got the people out of the way. As I drove around the block yet again, I got to see the buses, all six of them this time. I was told to use the East entrance. None of the entrances, that I could see, are on the ground level. None are marked as to the name of the entrance. Obviously, the East entrance is on the East side of the building, but it took me a long time to realize the doors were five levels in the air. In short, the people that work there were not helpful and there was virtually no one around to ask questions to. I sat in the parking garage for an hour after the concert, waiting to get out. It’s a shame, with no NHL hockey team or NBA Basketball team, the odds of them ever funding a new arena are slim and none.

Before the concert started, there were no rules about pictures. In fact, security was pretty vocal about how they had no way of stopping people from taking pictures, but if someone held a phone up for any length of time, they would say something. They said they wouldn’t stop people from taking pictures unless they took a lot of pictures. The lady beside me, across the aisle, did get spoken to, they asked her to stop texting. Her answer? “I’m on Facebook.” Seriously.

I have to say, Joe was on fire last night! He always is, but some nights are better than others, and especially on HC, he was simply amazing.

The concert was very definitely worth the drive up and back. I had trouble the last ten miles or so, I was so tired, but I guess prayer got me home safely. It’s a bit depressing to realize there are no concerts on my agenda and PEW is definitely beginning to set in!
    Thanks for the additional details. I feel your pain about having no new shows on the horizon, but it sounds like the guys could use a break - and you could use a break, too!

And the Plaintiff joke refuses to go away. I stopped laughing at that joke in 2005!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I suppose I could use a break... Now that I know the trip to Cincy and back is very do-able, I need to turn my attention to going up for Pirate games.

BTW, as you might all imagine, last night Joe was 'from the great state of Ohio'. Went over well, of course.
    VK