Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

What an amazing show!

Getting ready to go into work, so I'll post more later, but wanted to let everyone know that it went very well. It was still 'Sick Bay', but you couldn't tell it from their voices or their attitudes! They were lighthearted, all smiles and happy to be there.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH - 3/03/14

our guys don't seem to let a cold ruin their fun, so glad to hear it

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Good news that the show was great!
    Bad news that our guys are still sick.

They were sick? Never would have known! Glenn mentioned his cold, but it didn’t affect his singing. I told my son, “I wonder if he’ll sing ‘Already Gone’ if his voice is shaky?” Not only did he sing it, he nailed it – even the high “Who-hoo-hoo – my, my!” phrase. They were all phenomenal. Don’s voice was as strong as ever (high notes on “One of These Nights” were crystal clear), and Timothy is still hitting those stratospheric high harmonies. And Joe Walsh…well, Joe’s from another planet – maybe another dimension. He brought the house down. Was really pleased to see original guitarist Bernie Leadon with them – a real treat. I liked the whole History of the Eagles setup. I’ve seen a lot of phenomenal concerts in my time, but this one was the best ever – hands down.

The Eagles have been my favorite band for over 40 years. James Taylor and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young got me started singing and playing guitar but the Eagles got me into songwriting. I’m still singing, playing, and writing 43 years later, and still playing solo and with my band – and we play a lot of Eagles songs.

This is the second time I’ve seen the Eagles. The first time was in 1971 on their very first tour before people knew who they were. They were playing small clubs and bars, and they landed at a club called Reflections (now a parking lot) in Clifton by the University of Cincinnati campus. They mingled with the crowd on breaks and I bought Don a beer (even though he got his for free) and told him, “I play in a band, too.”

Kids…

I had the unmitigated gall to tell Don Henley that I played in a band, too – and 43 years later I’m still playing in my band.

Oh – and Don’s still playing in his band, too!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks for the great review, Rick. Welcome!

Thanks, Mary. Nice to be here.

Timothy was all over the place; as they were leaving the stage he hopped out into the stands and started shaking hands.

One thing I noticed is that they didn't do anything from "Long Road Out of Eden." But then, how do you pick and choose from such an exhaustive catalog? You're bound to miss something. I was thrilled to hear Bernie sing "Train Leaves Here This Morning," and they did "Doolin' Dalton" (with Timothy playing an awesome harmonica solo). Don and Glenn opening the evening with "Whatever Happened to Saturday Night?" supplied an incredible kick off to the concert. And Joe - lol! - he peeled the paint off the walls! We left the arena a foot off the ground, high on the music. It was an incredible night.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post

Timothy was all over the place; as they were leaving the stage he hopped out into the stands and started shaking hands.

Excuse me, whaaaat?

There were seats at stage right that were just a stone's throw away from the stage. Then he also shook hands with several fans at the front of the stage on his way out.

He's a very limber guy!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Great review Rick! Thanks so much!!
    I LOVE your story of meeting them in 1971!! How cool is that to buy DH a beer and tell him that you "play in a band too". What an AWESOME memory! Thank you for sharing!

And WELCOME!!
    Hope you decide to stick around!

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post
    I had the unmitigated gall to tell Don Henley that I played in a band, too – and 43 years later I’m still playing in my band.

Oh – and Don’s still playing in his band, too!

That's so cool - thanks for the memories. They're the little tidbits that just make the Eagles so special.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...