Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 24, 2014

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 24, 2014

OK, I'll start with the pick - after the last song, Desperado, while the lights were still out, I stealthily worked my way up to the stage and stood next to the Black Shirt. When the lights came on, Timothy was walking along the front of the stage towards me - he tossed two pics to people on my left. I said, "Timothy!" when he was in front of me and held my hand up and he just tossed it to me - just like that! I will attempt to add my photos after this post.

Otis - He came out of the black curtains at the bottom of the stage before the show started. I walked over to him and said, "Are you Otis?" and he said, "Yes." And I said, "Cool, bring me a pick during the intermission. I'm in row 5 right here on the aisle." About 10 minutes later he appeared next to me, looking for someone. I said, "You're an angel!" I don't know why, I didn't know what else to say to the little boy. About 10 minutes later, he came back again, still looking for his friends, and we figured out he was looking in the wrong section - he needed section C front and center. That was the last I saw of him.

The show was incredible - I can't believe how quickly the second set went, it seemed like 15 minutes.

How they sounded - I noticed no problems with anyone's singing or vocal range. On NKIT, when Glenn has to sing the word "around" (when you're not around...) he reached up and pushed on his ear monitor, and I think it was just a psychological thing because that's a difficult part, but he sounded just fine - he hit it. They all sounded sublime. They also seemed to be really enjoying playing the songs they've played so many times - it was a very relaxed and happy vibe. I saw TBS and Don talking a lot when the lights weren't on them. Don was not remotely curmudgeonly or crabby, neither was Glenn. Glenn did not chastise one time or make any comment. Don asked people not to use their cell phones about 2/3 of the way through, but it didn't come across in a bad way.

How they looked - TBS started out in a burgundy t-shirt, then switched to the white button down that VA posted. It is an interesting shirt, it doesn't have normal buttons, but two tiny black snaps or something side by side all the way down. Don is regrowing The Goatee, he seemed to be in some shades of dark gray. For some reason he looked super fine in profile when he was sitting at the little drum kit for WW. Glenn switched into the BEAUTIFUL lilac shirt he wore in the second half - gorgeous on him. For Steph - Will Hollis was very handsome. Hair parted on the left haha, and seemed to be freshly cut - nice sideburns. I was MESMERIZED by Joe's bronze glitter guitar.

What they said - We got to hear the plaintiff joke, the mother-is-half-a-word-joke, the TBS is the "ribbon on the package", and I can't remember the joke Glenn makes and then says, "That's funny" - that was actually funny. At the part when Don was talking about living in Topanga off of whatever street - that's when he mentioned The Californians. We do have a very strong habit of constantly describing the routes we drive, and when you start to notice it, you definitely start to make fun of yourself. Just prior to the show, 4 of us were saying, "Should we get on 73? NO! Just 405 all the way to Century, then left..." It's like, never ending. He had a big grin when he said it like they do in the sketch, "The Califooornians." (Soda - yes, the sketches are long and lame - the funny part is the driving directions, and maybe it's only funny if you know the area, it's exactly how Southern Californians talk.)

The issue of security - Our Red Shirt (local staff) was very sweet. The Black Shirts (Eagles security) in the area were OK, too. There was the obligatory one drunk lady one row ahead who got up every 5 minutes to dance, they must have dealt with her 20 times. At one point, Red Shirt (young black guy) actually waltzed her back to her seat - it was cute.

I have to say that the whole "Whack-a-Mole" game of nabbing people with cameras created a bizarre concert experience. It really takes over for those in the front. I get it if someone is clearly videoing the show, but 99% of those people just want a photo for their own purposes of their experience. I was quite moved during PMAIAR when Joe and Glenn were singing, and I spontaneously took out my phone to get a pic. The flash was off and the screen brightness was all the way down. The minute I held it up, Red Shirt came up and said, "Its really obvious", so that was it for me. Hubby was scolded twice. But, the crowd around us was great - when I looked around, everyone was grooving, singing, sitting when appropriate, standing and dancing when appropriate - I think by the 5th show a lot of people had gotten the word about the rules. No a-holes anywhere. Lots of pot smoke, but not to the point where it bothered me.

Favorite performances - Witchy Woman and Those Shoes. Who knew??

Would love to see them in Sacramento, Tim's home town - that's going to be awesome, but it's not gonna happen for me. I was looking forward to this for so long, and now it's back to reality...sigh...Best concert ever!

p.s. Glennsallnighter I got your mug and will mail on Monday!
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 01-29-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks for the detailed review MC - it sounds fantastic. You make me want to go to another show again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border HenleyFan1971's Avatar

so Don's goatee trying to return lol wish I could have gone to the show show tonight it is very rare that they play 6 shows in one place hopefully they come back around and play another socal venue if so I am so there lol

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    What a wonderful night MC! So cool that you got to talk to Otis too!

Great about the pick from Timothy (Ok, he gave me one in NYC as well - Its a great feeling!!)
    Cool, GA. Is Timothy the only one who hands them out, or do the other guys as well? (I was focused laser-like on my prey, haha! Didn't even see what the others were doing.)

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

MC, great review!! I like how you refer to 'The Goatee' in capital letters! It's how I think of it, too. ITA about the second set going by in a flash.

I agree about the no-photo policy being a little overzealous, but I guess it's their concert and their decision. What I do like is not having the people in front of me putting their cameras in my line of sight. With the overzealous security, even if they do sneak in pics, they keep it down low and I don't have to watch the concert through the back of someone's phone. So, I for one hope they keep the rule.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border HenleyFan1971's Avatar

anybody going to final show tonight?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    What a wonderful night MC! So cool that you got to talk to Otis too!

Great about the pick from Timothy (Ok, he gave me one in NYC as well - Its a great feeling!!)
    ooh I have one too from atlantic city at the Borgata --long road out of eden tour

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

nice review mc sounds like you had a blast.
    I gotta say ww was never my fave song (Sorry) but since having watched it live over and over on youtube it is my fave ,,,,
    thanks for the post but I cant see your picture

Out on the Border

Hi MaryCalifornia,

This is my first time posting to this message board but I had to after reading your posts and review of the concert last night. You must have been sitting 2 rows directly behind my husband and I. We were in Section B, row 3, seats 15 and 16. This was our first Eagles concert on the floor, and we had an amazing and wonderful time! We paid quite a bit for our tickets, and do not attend concerts regularly. We told ourselves to be respectful of everyone, but at the same time have fun.

Security was "on it" last night and I didn't bring my phone out once all evening…until the end (when I thought I could get away with 1 quick picture). I waited till both the red and black shirts were distracted (once again) by the drunk lady to the right and placed my phone quickly on my left side, covered entirely by my hand with no light, just waiting for the right moment. Within a minute, an intimidating man (not a red or black shirt…he was in a black jacket) asked me nicely to put it away. I thought "where in the heck did you come from and how on earth did ever see me do that?' So, I didn't attempt it again.

You are absolutely right with the second set. I truly couldn't believe how fast it went. And, I believe I witnessed your excitement when Timothy gave you a guitar pick (if you have blonde hair and had a huge smile). I didn't notice the other band members giving out guitar picks. However, my husband and I waited till the crowd dispersed (to soak in the entire expensive experience) before leaving. The "roadies" did unexpectedly throw picks left on the stage floor and I received one. It wasn't until I saw the pictures of your pick (beautiful and what a wonderful memory) that I looked closely at mine. Earlier, it was just a white pick. But…after looking again, I noticed it had Glenn's name and "Eagles 2014" on it. It is difficult to read, but there. So my assumption is Glenn used it last night?!?

I could go on and on about the concert last night, but wanted to reply back to your post. Sounds like you had a great time.