Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 17, 2014

Default Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 17, 2014

You know how in my earlier review I talked about the cool new encore? Well, they dropped it! I was very disappointed because without that, basically, this is just another show in the History of the Eagles tour. It was good, but not particularly special.

Some overzealous security ensured I would not be putting this show among my top Eagles concert experiences. Quite the opposite. However, the music was still terrific and it would take a lot more than that to negate the feeling I get whenever I see these guys performing some of the greatest rock music of all time with those incredible voices and musicianship.

My cousins were really impressed and thought the show was fantastic. There were fewer glitches than Wednesday, although a few remained. Any Eagles fan in the greater LA area should go!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 17, 2014

Nancy,

What time did they go on and what time was the show over? I'm going again tonight and need to make transportation plans.

Thanks!

As for security they were very on-point Wednesday night too. What did they do exactly last night? No pixs, no dancing in the aisles? What?

Carol-Lynn

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I thought it was a great concert! The tinny sound I heard to my left on Wednesday wasn't there last night. Of course, I was over a section to the right this time.

I guess the 'fan' night was made more special by the fact last night's concert didn't include the extra encore.

I will write more later. At airport on a phone at the moment. Can't quite believe it's snowing back in KY. I'll have more than PEW this trip...I'll miss the weather too! Still, only six weeks or so until Raleigh and then Cincinnati!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    You know how in my earlier review I talked about the cool new encore? Well, they dropped it! I was very disappointed because without that, basically, this is just another show in the History of the Eagles tour. It was good, but not particularly special. Some overzealous security ensured I would not be putting this show among my top Eagles concert experiences. Quite the opposite. However, the music was still terrific and it would take a lot more than that to negate the feeling I get whenever I see these guys performing some of the greatest rock music of all time with those incredible voices and musicianship.

My cousins were really impressed and thought the show was fantastic. There were fewer glitches than Wednesday, although a few remained. Any Eagles fan in the greater LA should go!
    Oh, that is really disappointing. I was so hoping they would keep it.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Sorry the security was so awkward Soda! What are they afraid of?

Pity they dropped that encore too!

Still they are still an incredible band to watch.

Lucky you VA! How many shows have you been to already?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

GA, last night was #8 for me for this particular tour.

As for security, they were on top of things, a lot of things, and perhaps didn't 'get' the rules they were to enforce correct. That being said, some of this is conjecture in that I'm stringing facts into a theory. The Eagles have their own promotion company, and the promotion company handles contracting security people for an event. I'm sure they use local people, but they seem to be 'supervised' by the promotion company and not the venue. Having seen one particular security dude at several venues in several cities supports this in my head (either that or he has a lot of brothers). So I'm thinking the locals take their orders from the supervisor-types that are employed by and travel with the band. The security guy closest to me said that their direction comes from Glenn. It's possible something got lost in translation, but I do wonder. The rule put on the screens before the concert say no standing during ballads or when those behind you are seated. What Glenn said the previous night was to not stand during ballads. In Atlantic City in 2012, he motioned me to sit down on what I had perceived to be a faster song (I forget which one), so...

Last night, a good number of those in front of us (didn't notice who was behind us) were using walkers, crutches, and canes. The ones in wheelchairs were in the front row (I was in sixth). It was nice that even during the fast songs, those in front didn't stand since these people couldn't, and security never had to mention it to them, they just did it. It was nice to see.

Security wasn't as diligent about some other things. One man in front of us complained to security about the guy in front of him several times. I don't know what about, I think he was smoking weed. Security warned him several times then on the last complaint asked him to either open his hands or pull out his pockets or something. They then told him to stand and told him he had to leave. There were at least three security people who were on it. As he passed by the man behind him, he shoved him. That guy stood up and they went nose to nose, harsh words and pushing and shoving. The guy across the aisle from me tried to break it up and I started to help, but HH and I had broken up a fight the previous day and called the police (a whole different story) and so I figured that in an arena with 4000 security dudes and multiple policemen, I shouldn't have to worry my head about it. It was difficult to concentrate on Don singing The Long Run with that going on less than a foot from me!

Lastly, I'll say that the lines for concessions before the concert were significantly shorter than the previous concert. At least one issue was resolved!

Now, the concert! The guys were definitely a lot looser, and CL would have appreciated it, they had a lot more energy. Not sure how they'll do on that tonight since it's back-to-back. The vocals were better, and there were more smiles and interaction with each other. Joe had a technical issue, I think at the end of LBG, and the band had to play on without him until Mark figured it out. They handled it well and made it entertaining, so it worked. After the song, Don went up to Joe's mic-stand and gestured with his foot, "You have too much crap up here!" A good way of pointing out that Joe isn't your average guitar player. Anyway, Joe was on fire again at the end of HC. Wow. He was on fire all night, but he outdid himself on that one.

Glenn brought out 'Plaintiff' again and again it got laughs. I laughed trying to picture Soda's reaction to it.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise was truly spectacular. The harmonies, the arrangement, the instruments are all top-notch on this song, and in my opinion, it's a song that showcases Don's voice over and above a lot of others he sings. BTW, both nights, Don did a great job on Desperado at the end of the show. Very passionate in both of them.

Glenn...I know some others in the other thread didn't agree, but one of the press reviews mentioned it exactly how I think of it. Glenn's purer voice juxtaposed with Don's more raspy voice gives the audience an incredible 1-2 punch, and Timothy's sweet vocals on his leads are icing on the cake. What's not to love?

Of course, NKIT just melted my bones once again. Just incredible.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

TIE, RMW, and Desperado:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKjhNTEXkM[/ame]

HC:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdollN7sYqs[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    GA, last night was #8 for me for this particular tour.
    Just #6 for me.

As for security, they were on top of things, a lot of things, and perhaps didn't 'get' the rules they were to enforce correct. That being said, some of this is conjecture in that I'm stringing facts into a theory. The Eagles have their own promotion company, and the promotion company handles contracting security people for an event. I'm sure they use local people, but they seem to be 'supervised' by the promotion company and not the venue. Having seen one particular security dude at several venues in several cities supports this in my head (either that or he has a lot of brothers). So I'm thinking the locals take their orders from the supervisor-types that are employed by and travel with the band. The security guy closest to me said that their direction comes from Glenn. It's possible something got lost in translation, but I do wonder. The rule put on the screens before the concert say no standing during ballads or when those behind you are seated. What Glenn said the previous night was to not stand during ballads. In Atlantic City in 2012, he motioned me to sit down on what I had perceived to be a faster song (I forget which one), so...
    I think the problem comes when it's unclear; if the band wants everyone to sit for the entirety of the first half, it would be simple enough to say so. Instead, on Wednesday, Glenn specifically said the ballads, and Friday later the slow songs. The written instructions say you shouldn't stand if you block people. Theoretically, this could apply to the whole show, as there is never a time when 100% of the audience is standing. Thus, the security makes judgment calls.

When Lissa and I stood for Already Gone, which was the first time we'd stood other than to give ovations, about half a dozen people around us were standing. I debated if it was enough to make it acceptable to the Eagles for us to stand. I don't want to piss anyone off. Lissa was already standing; I joined her. Glenn looked directly at us. There was no hand motion, no sign of displeasure. Still, the security guard told us to sit. I did.

This is the part where I have a problem: when Lissa didn't sit down fast enough, he not only demanded she sit, he told her that if she should stand again at any point in the show, he would throw her out! What the heck?! Somehow I doubt that was what Glenn intended, as he actually encourages people to stand during Heartache Tonight.

If stressing about when I am allowed to stand is going to be a regular component of every Eagles show I am going to attend from here on out... If these black shirt security jerks travel with the band and will be at every show, as is apparently the case... Well, that sucks, frankly. I want to be enjoying the music, not frightened that I'll be thrown out if the number of people standing behind me doesn't fit into the specific parameters of percentile and locale that we in the audience are never privy to, and that vary from one Black Shirt to the next.

Meanwhile, there were so many people lighting up joints around me that I was feeling dizzy and sick, but the security ignored them. Last time I checked, it was illegal to smoke at all in such venues, nevermind doing drugs - but it's standing at the wrong time or texting that will get you thrown out. I mean, I don't text during shows, but they told me I couldn't even have my cellphone on during intermission!

"Fabulous" was not the f-word many people around me were using to describe their Forum experience after the numerous visits from such "diligent" security, ready to eject you for the pettiest of offenses.

That said, the Forum has good sound, cool decor, and a really neat bar area on the floor that is off to the side so people aren't disturbed by loud drink orders, yet has a glass wall so people can see while they drink. There was a good amount of leg room on the floor between rows, and the chairs were comfortable. It was nice. Was it the best in the whole world like Glenn said? Well, perhaps, but I wouldn't have guessed it if he hadn't said so. I suppose he would know, though, considering all the places he's played. Again, it was certainly very good. I recommend it.

I have more to say, but it's time to board my flight back. Later!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

geez Nancy...that sounds stressful and frustrating!

I know during my show (MSG nov 9), people weren't really standing so I didn't stand for most of the show cos I didn't want to block anyone. I think the first song I stood and danced for was Heartache Tonight (I didn't know Glenn encourages that one ) and then for a couple of Joe's rockin' songs too.

but at no point did anyone (audience or security) ask me to sit. I was also on the first level up though.
    was this rule for the whole Forum? or just down in front?

after paying that much for tickets and just wanting to (harmlessly) really enjoy yourself at the show, it's absolutely annoying to be told to sit still and have to worry about being kicked out(!) when people around you are actually breaking laws (smoking etc).
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

I was looking at Instagram and saw Kris Jenner posted a collage of her and friends, some concert shots, and her ticket... she has a shout out to Cindy and Glenn

her ticket said "COMP 0.00"
    and many people commented about how she (and other celebrities) of all people SHOULD be paying for her ticket because she can definitely afford it

others said...well she's good friends with Glenn's wife; of course she wouldn't pay for a ticket

I can understand both perspectives...and even though it does seem unfair, it's always that way..celebs get free clothes, accessories, etc because it's advertisement. I guess free concerts are just perks too.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...