Page 5 of 273 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

For someone like me who is a hardcore and has seen almost all of the footage before, I still found a few new tidbits - for instance, I didn't know that Glenn wrote "such a fine sight to see" In addition to the other lines he wrote of TIE. He was also explicitly acknowledged as being a lyricist on the song "Hotel California." The Long Night at Wrong Beach as it's shown here reflects Felder's take on it as given in his book rather than ones Glenn has given in the past, but overall there seems to be an overall consensus on how things broke down (despite omissions about the more personal aspects of their feelings). Joe states in a very open and honest manner that he used humor to mask his insecurities, and that he was intimidated by Glenn and Don. That takes guts to admit. Those are just a few nuggets. There are several others.
    Joe's part was moving. I felt for him. It had to be hard dealing with those feelings.

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Quote from Sodascouts;
    However, an objection from some might be that extensive background segments were done on Don and Glenn, but the rest of the guys didn't even get their home state mentioned. Many photos of the band were cropped to just Don and Glenn. Some might say it was "The History of Glenn Frey and Don Henley in the Eagles." Of course, they are the only original members still around!

Randy may look old, but he seems to be in his right mind. That's good.

Bernie's gained quite a bit of weight since 2004 but is as forceful and blunt as ever. Gotta love it!

I do think it was a bit unfair of Glenn to say that Felder didn't like playing benefits because he wanted to keep the money. He plays benefits all the time nowadays. Of course, one could argue that is a recent development and he didn't feel that way in the 70s.

I most enjoyed the rare photos and old footage, which had me squee-ing with delight. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

After watching the footage of the whole incident at the Benefit show for the Senator....to be fair, Felder said that he was not into politics, didn't even know who this Senator was, so maybe he wasn't really into supporting him.
    Glenn says that Cranston was behind issues that "we" supported, but it didn't seem that Felder really cared to become political.
    My feeling about it is that Glenn totally overreacted to Felder's comment ,"I guess" I can't believe he could get so mad over a comment like that & to spill that anger onto the stage was outrageous! That is my personal opinion of it. I don't expect any Glenn fans to agree with me, but although Felder's little comment wasn't cool, I didn't think it warranted that kind of reaction.

Out on the Border AftertheThrill's Avatar

I think Felder's comment was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Some big blowup was going to happen and this is what caused the blowup. I think by this point in the band, someone could have breathed wrong and would have caused a blowup.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    My feeling about it is that Glenn totally overreacted to Felder's comment ,"I guess" I can't believe he could get so mad over a comment like that & to spill that anger onto the stage was outrageous! That is my personal opinion of it. I don't expect any Glenn fans to agree with me, but although Felder's little comment wasn't cool, I didn't think it warranted that kind of reaction.
    I think it would be a real slap in the face to have someone not just say that, but use the facial expression that went with it, said in front of someone you respect. I'm sure most of Glenn's reaction had to do with a slow build-up of everything that had gone before it, and that was the final straw. However, Glenn did preface the entire segment by saying that in the end, cocaine brought out the worst in all of them. Did he overreact? I think so. Was it outrageous? I've been told that cocaine brings out the 'outrageous' in people. It was outrageous for Felder to say what he said as well. It wasn't a 'little comment' given the situation, it was a real slap in the face to a man and his wife who hadn't seen it coming. Put it with everything that had been brewing for years between Felder and Glenn and it makes for a very volatile situation. Fortunately, both of them have grown up since then and have realized that cocaine isn't a good influence and losing one's temper doesn't ever solve anything.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

It was an overreaction if taken in isolation, but as Glenn and others here said, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. In other words, it was one more little thing that, when added to all the other little things, became too much.

By the way, we don't get to hear the whole fight or anything on the doc. We don't get to hear the famous "three songs until I kick your ass." Instead we have rather less creative variants: "I'm going to kill you" and "I've been paying your f---ing salary for seven years, f---head!" I was hoping for better, lol.

Another thing I noticed about the doc: Glenn and Don are pretty much represented as a united front throughout. There is one line where Don says they were starting to have differences during TLR and Felder also brings it up, but that's never elaborated on or explained. Either their differences were not very significant or they were deliberately downplayed.

How cool was seeing footage of the Eagles doing "Get You in the Mood" and "Keep on Tryin'" in 1971?! And finally, some decent quality live footage from TLR era, even if it was very brief.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I think it would be a real slap in the face to have someone not just say that, but use the facial expression that went with it, said in front of someone you respect. I'm sure most of Glenn's reaction had to do with a slow build-up of everything that had gone before it, and that was the final straw. However, Glenn did preface the entire segment by saying that in the end, cocaine brought out the worst in all of them. Did he overreact? I think so. Was it outrageous? I've been told that cocaine brings out the 'outrageous' in people. It was outrageous for Felder to say what he said as well. It wasn't a 'little comment' given the situation, it was a real slap in the face to a man and his wife who hadn't seen it coming. Put it with everything that had been brewing for years between Felder and Glenn and it makes for a very volatile situation. Fortunately, both of them have grown up since then and have realized that cocaine isn't a good influence and losing one's temper doesn't ever solve anything.
    It seemed that Felder made the comment when he was turning away from him, not straight to his face, but Glenn heard it & reacted. I guess it was a combination of the cocaine & the bad feelings between them that had been building up, but to take it to the stage to me was even worse than the comment itself...In any case, I'm glad the argument didn't come to an actual fight. Even though Don smashed his guitar... he bolted to his limo rather than have a confrontation with Glenn, which I guess was the best choice at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It seemed that Felder made the comment when he was turning away from him, not straight to his face, but Glenn heard it & reacted. I guess it was a combination of the cocaine & the bad feelings between them that had been building up, but to take it to the stage to me was even worse than the comment itself...In any case, I'm glad the argument didn't come to an actual fight. Even though Don smashed his guitar... he bolted to his limo rather than have a confrontation with Glenn, which I guess was the best choice at the time.
    If the footage was accurate, Cranstan was closer to Felder than Glenn? Oh my...I might have to watch it AGAIN and make sure! I'm thinking if Glenn heard it, then so did Cranstan and his wife.

I'm told we females think about this differently than guys do, but I agree that Felder did the right thing by bolting to his limo and avoiding a fight. Making the evening news would have been a bad thing all around. Whatever the reason, I'm eternally glad the 'Lindsay Lohan' moment was averted.

I have to say, I was disappointed that Glenn added that the guitar Felder smashed was his cheapest guitar, and the derisive tone he used. Like it would make more sense to smash an expensive or well-loved guitar? Maybe only a guy can think like that? Whatever his reasoning, it would have been best left unsaid IMO.

I did notice that as the story got to where things began to fall apart, they used After The Thrill Is Gone as the background music.
    VK

Cranston and his wife did indeed hear it, according to the doc.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    However, an objection from some might be that extensive background segments were done on Don and Glenn, but the rest of the guys didn't even get their home state mentioned. Many photos of the band were cropped to just Don and Glenn. Some might say it was "The History of Glenn Frey and Don Henley in the Eagles." Of course, they are the only original members still around!
    I don't know why but I guess that's kind of how I figured it would be. I guess because they were the reason we have an Eagles and without them and their story of how they got there, we wouldn't have been sitting there last night in euphoria watching it. I was actually just fine with the way they handled that.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers
    I have to say, I was disappointed that Glenn added that the guitar Felder smashed was his cheapest guitar, and the derisive tone he used. Like it would make more sense to smash an expensive or well-loved guitar? Maybe only a guy can think like that? Whatever his reasoning, it would have been best left unsaid IMO.
    Yeah, that really bothered me also. I thought it sounded quite petty.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Since seeing Glenn at the songwriter's event at NYU, and listening to some of his interviews, particularly with Art of the Song, where he talks so much about songwriting, I've realized that people who write songs, at least good ones, have a different idea about what songwriting entails. He talked a lot about chord progressions in his interviews and I'll be honest, it was like he was speaking Greek. A friend of mine, who is a musician, told me he feels the same way when I start my 'techno babble.'

In the movie last night, regarding VOL and wondering why Felder had thought he should sing it, Don mentioned that Felder didn't bring them the complete song. He said there were no lyrics or even a melody, just chord progressions. I assume that whatever a chord progression is, it's like a foundation for a house? The lyrics and melody are the structure and siding? If this is all true, I have to wonder why Felder has the prime songwriting credit. I guess this chord progression-thing is pretty important, and I feel like an uninformed bozo that I can't figure this out. I love music and always have, but until recently have never given any thought to how a song comes together, and so how anyone could hand something over that has no melody or lyrics and still be given song-writing credit, let alone primary, baffles me to no end. Does anybody have any insight or ideas on where I could get enough of an education on this to at least understand what the heck Don was talking about?
    VK