Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

There was a Rolling Stone interview with the band by Judith Simms from August 1972. The overall tone is a bit “off” (she seems to be suggesting they don’t live up to the hype) but there are a few interesting lines given how early it was in the band’s career with the first album still rising up the charts and possible just the one hit single.

Glenn’s sentences tend to start as minor explosions that peter out midway.
    This makes me think of the documentary when Glenn talks about sex and drugs, He starts off enthusiastically and then fizzles.

Glenn spoke of John David, a fellow Asylum artist, with awe and love.
    That’s sweet!

Still, Randy’s relationship with Los Angeles is tenuous. He says he’s “here to stay…till I can get whatever I can get, enough money to get out. I want clean air.”
    Early foreshadowing of his departure five years later?

Almost immediately he fell in with Glenn and Don and Randy, who had already begun sharing songs and rehearsing. “I tried it and I liked it,” Bernie recalls.
    This is from Don:
    “Glenn kept telling me about his manager, David Geffen. I didn’t even know who Geffen was, but I decided I would stick my neck out to play with Glenn.”
    And the writer:
    Bernie, who can talk circles around the other three,
    That’s quite a statement!

http://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2009...and-soar-1972/

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thank for posting that UTW. I love reading these old interviews or, in this case, excerpts from them. That is funny how they said Bernie could talk circles around the other guys. THAT is quite an accomplishment!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I love reading those early articles. Bernie, the talker? Interesting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love reading those early articles. Bernie, the talker? Interesting!
    Remember he's the one who said to David Geffen 'do you want us or not' when Glenn hadn't yet found his feet regarding the leadership.

Stuck on the Border

From April 1, 1972
    New York - Asylum Records is expecting album sales of 3 million records in its first year of business - from sales of 10 albums, reports label boss David Geffen.
    Among new acts for Asylum, all with the LP product out, will be writer-singers John David Souther and Steve Ferguson, and the group the Eagles.

Said Geffen: "These new acts will be promoted in the same way we broke Jo Jo Gunne, Browne and Miss Sill - via an album and major personal appearance tour.

Tours Important

The Eagles will be included in a Neil Young tour early summer which will probably coincide with Young's Warner Bros. film "Journey through the Past." The Eagles are another group put together by Geffen, who is their manager, from other known groups. Randy Meisner, bass, is from Poco and the Rick Nelson Stone Canyon Band, Bernie Leadon, lead guitar, from Flying Burrito Brothers and Dillard and Clark, Dan Henley, vocals, drummer, is from Shilo and Glenn Frey comes from Long Branch Pennywhistle. The group recorded in the U.K. at London's Olympic Studios in February, and will have an album and single released.
    http://jonimitchell.com/library/print.cfm?id=2280

I didn't know JD was on Asylum. Its interesting that his career didn't take off.

Love reading these old bits, back when they were just another group trying to make it.

Just came across this article in a Google news archive. Don and Glenn talk about the dangers of drugs and warn against them.

The year? 1979.

Yeah, I know. lol

"Self Destructive Music Makers" - The Victoria Advocate (Feb. 24, 1979)

P.S. In the article, Don quotes the Neil Young line "better to burn out than to rust" and disagrees with it, just as he does in History of the Eagles. Guess that metaphor stuck with him!

Really? (Raises her eyebrow)

That's interesting about the quote he said 34 years ago, he would say again 34 years later. I like that quote and I like how he describes his old traitor in the documentary.

This isn't really Eagles so much as Party of Two, but we don't have a forum for that, lol. Anyway, I think it's interesting.

"Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh Touring Again" - Beaver County Times (Jun. 23, 1993)

This one below is an interview with Don H, but I'm putting it in here because it's about the Eagles reunion that he says is going to take place in 1990. He says their plans don't include Joe!! Obviously, things changed, but it's hard to even comprehend a Joe-less Eagles now.

"Don Henley, Glenn Frey Work for Eagles Reunion" - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Jan. 27, 1990)