Page 243 of 273 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Don may not be a virtuoso but his style fits the Eagles, much like Ringo and the Beatles or Charlie and the Stones (other drummers frequently criticized for their skills).

One of my favorite videos is Don drumming for Guns N' Freaking Roses on an award show on the song "Patience". Not sure where Matt Sorum was but that was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    That "guitar licks all over the place" (or however it went) comment from Glenn is interesting and makes me want to hear some of the stuff Don F brought to the band. No matter how many guitar parts there are, all of them don't have to be used, so I don't quite get it. If Don F played the tapes and insisted "the full song/arrangement or nothing", then there obviously were problems. But if he didn't give such terms, Glenn and Don H could have taken pieces (riffs, chord progressions, intrumentation ideas, modulation ideas, structural ideas, "feels", musical styles etc.) they liked from here and there and used them to construct songs.
    Agreed.... I think Felder and Walsh both had quite a few riffs they could have used and I think they never got to show their full potential. Not that it was necessarily Don or Glenn's fault, but I think they could have done more iconic guitar work, more than just HC. I think there was more in them in the 70s than was put to tape.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Don may not be a virtuoso but his style fits the Eagles, much like Ringo and the Beatles or Charlie and the Stones (other drummer frequently criticized for their skills).

One of my favorite videos is Don drumming for Guns N' Freaking Roses on an award show on the song "Patience". Not sure where Matt Sorum was but that was pretty cool.
    What I've read said that Sorum was in rehab. Yes, that video is a musical nirvana of sorts for me since G&R has always been one of my favorites and of course, Don on my top two list. You can hear his harmonizing pretty well.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I was always so fascinate that Don can drum and sing at the same and doesn't miss a beat. That's what fascinate about Don's drumming. You don't see that many drummers singing. Heck you don't see that many drummers who are actually the co-lead singers of a band.

When I went to Branson last year and saw the Take It To The Limit Tribute Show, I felt like the drummer was like counting and thinking in his singing while drummer. He didn't sing that many lead songs and he definitely sing some of Don's songs. Another guy was actually singing Don's song and not once he did he go on the drums. He mostly played the guitar. I guess it could be hard you haven't done something like that for many years.

I don't mind Don not being soo fancy or trying show out with his drumming. I do miss Don doing a percussion solo on Funk 49 with Scott. He was getting down on those solos. I wonder why he stopped doing that. He did it during the HFO era and probably stopped.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agreed.... I think Felder and Walsh both had quite a few riffs they could have used and I think they never got to show their full potential. Not that it was necessarily Don or Glenn's fault, but I think they could have done more iconic guitar work, more than just HC. I think there was more in them in the 70s than was put to tape.
    Perhaps a couple more guitar duels would have eased some of the tension & there would have been less of a shift to long Henley ballads.

Regarding Glenn's very harsh words on why he felt they couldn't use Felder's contibutions, I suspect that he thought that Felder only wanted to push Felder & had no interest in how the rest of the band were supposed to sound, hence the 'where do you sing' comment.

I wonder if this happens to anyone else that's watched this documentary a million times.... Every time I say the words "I guess" I hear Glenn & Don's voice saying it!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

LOL I guess I can hear Glenn and Don saying it too. I always repeat that line when it comes up in the documentary. I say a few lines from the documentary every time I watch. When Joe says, "It don't" when he's quoting a philospher or when Don says, "Sh*t don't float!!"

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    LOL I guess I can hear Glenn and Don saying it too. I always repeat that line when it comes up in the documentary. I say a few lines from the documentary every time I watch. When Joe says, "It don't" when he's quoting a philospher or when Don says, "Sh*t don't float!!"
    So funny! I'm happy I'm not alone. I eagerly await Don's, "Sh*t don't float!!" every time I watch. And yes, I say it with him. I also love, "It don't!"

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

OH. I forgot Glenn's line that's at the beginning when Don giving that speech and then Glenn say, "Its not!!"

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I wonder if this happens to anyone else that's watched this documentary a million times.... Every time I say the words "I guess" I hear Glenn & Don's voice saying it!
    Ha ha! So do I! And whenever anything new occurs I always say to myself, 'Time passes, things change' and I hear Don's deep voice and see the little smirk and twinkle in his eye. It's amazing how appropriate that line is to many situations! lol
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...