Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Part of the Plan" - Dan Fogelberg tribute track

Default Re: "Part of the Plan" - Dan Fogelberg tribute tracke

More detailed info is provided on Dan’s website. It’s really interesting to read about all the time and effort it takes to get a tribute cd released especially while planning and executing a tribute concert. It’s not a simple process.

There’s some background info provided about those who contributed to the effort as well as photos. Here’s what Joe’s part says:

PART OF THE PLAN

“Joe Walsh is the hero of this song story. In June of 2011, when I asked him if he wanted to record something for the tribute he said, 'Count me in. I should do something from Souvenirs - probably "Part of the Plan" but I'd like to do them all.' He did record Part of the Plan: he played all the instruments except the keyboards and he sang the lead vocals and harmonies before it was decided that the rest of the Eagles would join him on the track. Unfortunately, in July of 2013 they were at the beginning of their ‘The History of the Eagles - Live in Concert’ world tour, and it was slated to go for a couple of years.

Joe emailed us from all over the world, saying he had the tape with him and he would try to get the guys into a studio in London, Australia, etc. In December of 2015, Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmidt recorded their vocals and sent them to Joe and on February 3rd, 2016, the last track was finished. For his credits, Joe wrote:

Produced by Joe Walsh
    Recorded at home
    I miss you Danny

One of the few people on the planet that Dan didn't mind calling him 'Danny', Joe went above and beyond to honor Dan."
    ~ Jean Fogelberg
    http://www.danfogelberg.com/thetributestories.html

**There was already an ongoing discussion about this album in the Eagles press thread (post #2938 ). Perhaps if it’s not too much trouble, a moderator can move those posts to this one for the sake of continuity/cohesion. Just a suggestion. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...t=225&page=294 **

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: "Part of the Plan" - Dan Fogelberg tribute track

So Henley & Schmit did their background vocals while Glenn was in hospital.

OK.

Border Desperado

Default Re: "Part of the Plan" - Dan Fogelberg tribute tracke

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    More detailed info is provided on Dan’s website. It’s really interesting to read about all the time and effort it takes to get a tribute cd released especially while planning and executing a tribute concert. It’s not a simple process.

There’s some background info provided about those who contributed to the effort as well as photos. Here’s what Joe’s part says:

http://www.danfogelberg.com/thetributestories.html

**There was already an ongoing discussion about this album in the Eagles press thread (post #2938 ). Perhaps if it’s not too much trouble, a moderator can move those posts to this one for the sake of continuity/cohesion. Just a suggestion. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...t=225&page=294 **
    Loved reading this! Thanks so much for posting it Delilah.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

OK.
    Also per Jean Fogelberg she had originally reserved a song for the Eagles to record but then it appeared Glenn and Don were each going to do their own Fogelberg song so she gave the song to Jimmy Buffet to do.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Also per Jean Fogelberg she had originally reserved a song for the Eagles to record but then it appeared Glenn and Don were each going to do their own Fogelberg song so she gave the song to Jimmy Buffet to do.
    I think you miss my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    What I'm reading, including the above, contradicts the narrative that it was definitely going to be an Eagles song. It sounds more like Joe hoped it would be an Eagles song but for whatever reason the guys couldn't find the time to do it.

OK.
    Don at least must have known by December that Glenn would never be able to sing on that track.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

OK.
    Perhaps they thought Glenn would be recovered by the New Year and be able to contribute his part at another time? Can't say for sure, as it is hard to guess.

Also, as Glenn was hospitalized for over 2 months, one can't expect his friends/bandmates to remain at the bedside constantly. I doubt they let visitors in for very long with his immunocompromised status, plus ICU has strict rules, even for the famous, unless it is to give the Sacrament of the Sick.

Border Rebel

Thanks for posting the article, Delilah. Dan Fogelberg was my second favorite artist(Eagles being first, of course) back in the 70s and early 80s. Like with the Eagles, I attended his concerts whenever he was in town. He was an amazing talent.

Stuck on the Border

Well, it does seem that Dan's wife did try to get all four aboard. It was probably too hard to get all of the guys together when they were on breaks from the tour. Since neither Glenn or Don could do their separate songs, we get the song done in February.

According to info Bob S. gave at the time of Glenn's death, the doctors knew by sometime in Dec. 2015 that Glenn would not make it. Don has since acknowledged he visited Glenn in ICU. Apparently Joe and Tim were in NYC in Dec. 2015 too(taken from posts here). I would not be surprised if they also visited him. Generally ICU(from my prior experience) allows very close friends to visit. My sad guess is that by then the guys knew Glenn was not going to make it.

I always loved Dan Fogelberg, saw him in concert way back in the late 70's and will buy the cd to support such a worthy cause.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 10-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    What I'm reading, including the above, contradicts the narrative that it was definitely going to be an Eagles song. It sounds more like Joe hoped it would be an Eagles song but for whatever reason the guys couldn't find the time to do it.

Don at least must have known by December that Glenn would never be able to sing on that track.
    My take is Glenn Frey especially would have done a fabulous cover of a Dan Fogelberg song and I am sorry he never got the chance. I agree Azoff and Don had to know.