Page 13 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

So we now have he open house split up into students and parents. Will be here an hour.

I have decided to instead of having a tape filed with different songs of varying quality I will do two songs with really good quality.

My tape will be like a singal you get it and want to by the full album. Hopefully it will work with admissions.

One song is done.
    Better by Guns N Roses will be the side a. I have it posted so you can take a listen if you want .

Side B will be Hotel California.

I had to take the SAT's for the third time yesterday. I think I did better because my anxiety never went up. When I take a test my anxiety would go up and I get all nervous and want to finish as fast as I can. Yesterday it did not do that so I was able to focus. Fingers crossed.

I am trying to keep my senior year grades up. I was albe to improve my gpa lay year from a 1.9 to a 2.5 for the third and fourth quarters.

My sophomore year really hurt me because of a family tragedy. My grandmother died from Alzheimer's and I never knew her so I was really distraughet and started acting out to the point where I had a panic attack in the VP's office.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That's freakin' great, Kim! Scotland is a beautiful country. I don't know if you're interested in Neolithic sites, but the Orkney Islands has standing stones and other ancient sites.
    I'm thinking about going to Stonehenge. It really depends upon how much spending money I'm able to take with me.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I'm thinking about going to Stonehenge. It really depends upon how much spending money I'm able to take with me.
    If you have the choice, I think the neolithic sites up in the Scottish Isles are more interesting that Stonehenge. You can't really get close to Stonehenge, it's a bit managed and touristy.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't go if that's what you've had your heart set on.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I'll be staying in Edinburgh. For the most part, the group will do daily commutes on trains to get to different locations. I should be spending one night up in the Highlands. I'll have the evenings and a weekend free tondo whatever I want. On the weekend, I'm free to go wherever I want to within the UK.
    In case any UK borderer wants to try and meet up, the trip is May 13-27.
    Even better! Edinburgh is an awesome city, been there quite a few times myself. It's lovely around Christmas and New Year and is also really lively in the summer, especially around the time of the Edinburgh Fringe in August. If you're going in May you get really nice long days too, at that time it won't go dark until between 9-10 pm in the evening (unfortunately that time of year will almost certainly be when I have my final exams of the year). With regard to the Highlands, the furthest north I've ever been in Scotland was a place called Ballachulish, which is just south of Fort William in the western Highlands, although my Dad has been to Inverness.

I've just remembered something random but somewhat relevant - a programme called Michael Palin's Great Railway Journeys - Confessions of a Train Spotter, which tracks the former Monty Python star as he takes a rail journey from his home in London to Kyle of Lochalsh on the north western coast of mainland Scotland. I remember coming across it some time ago and loving it, although I will admit I share Palin's fondness for trains and railways! I found it on YouTube so I'll post a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYi1qLUAJJI

The Scottish portion of his trip starts at 38:54, It was produced in 1980, so the trains they use now are a lot more modern than the ones featured, although I don't think the routes have changed significantly. The scenery is absolutely beautiful (also, if you watch the end credits, you can see a train pass over the Glenfinnan viaduct, which is featured in the Harry Potter films).

I agree with AT that Stonehenge is somewhat 'touristy' - although having said this I did enjoy it I went there about three years or so ago.

Stuck on the Border

Kim, that sounds exciting. I love Edinburgh and there's lot to see in that area - with all the anglo-scottish wars, there are lots of castles and fortified houses. Not to mention the wonderful scenery.

Stonehenge is a long way from Edinburgh and that means a lot of time and money. However, if your itinery includes a stop in or near London, you could take a day tour that visits Stonehenge ( some examples of tours).

Border Troubadour

Enjoy Scotland AG, a fine country, I spend as much time there as I can justify. I've always been more enamored to Glasgow than Edinburgh but from a tourist point of view (especially if you've come several thousand miles across the sea!) you'll love Edinburgh. It's a beautiful country even outside of the Highlands; but with regards to what JCL was saying about the railways that way on, I can vouch for their beauty, the line from Glasgow to Fort William and Mallaig is widely regarded as one of the most scenic in the world, and that along with the aforementioned line out to Kyle (the trains are more modern, and none of the routes have changed!) are probably my two favourites (speaking as someone who's covered been on all of them ). Sadly Edinburgh isn't on the right side of Scotland to access the Highlands or Islands with great ease, but it's worth the effort to explore as much of them as you can if it's what you're after.

I'm not terrifically up on Neolithic history, but if you do head down to Stonehenge don't forget there's a fair lot more out that way too to explore: I was in a village called Avebury last week and they have an awful lot of stone circles there too, one of which is the largest remaining in Europe. It's also wonderfully pretty too (probably my favourite walking region), and not too far from other tourist destinations like Bath and Oxford.

Border Rebel

Trvlnman, I'm glad you felt more comfortable taking the SATs this time. Those exams can cause so much anxiety. I'm sure you did great!

AG, I know you'll love Scotland and Edinburgh. They are my favorite country and city that I've traveled to. I love railways, as well. I've only taken the train from London to Edinburgh (and driven over some of highlands and to the Isle of Skye), but from what the others have said, I want to go back to do more of Scotland by train. Especially from what JCL said about Edinburgh near the holidays. I know you will have a great time in the spring. I went both times in May and absolutely loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Trvlnman, I'm glad you felt more comfortable taking the SATs this time. Those exams can cause so much anxiety. I'm sure you did great!

AG, I know you'll love Scotland and Edinburgh. They are my favorite country and city that I've traveled to. I love railways, as well. I've only taken the train from London to Edinburgh (and driven over some of highlands and to the Isle of Skye), but from what the others have said, I want to go back to do more of Scotland by train. Especially from what JCL said about Edinburgh near the holidays. I know you will have a great time in the spring. I went both times in May and absolutely loved it!
    Gracias

Since I have a day off of school I am going to continue with my cover of Hotel California for a demo tape I am making it in the style of Farwell 1 without the horns. The horns were my favorite part

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

AG, how exciting that you will be traveling overseas! I think it would be wonderful to visit Scotland and it sounds like you have some very good suggestions on places to see! I hope you can come up with plenty of funds so you can see everything you want to see! How nice of your grandmother to help you out with this!

Trvlmn, I hope you did well with your tests!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten